Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for my first P99, I've come across a good deal on a Quick Action model. I only vaguely understand how this model works, but what I'm really curious about is how it stacks up against the regular models. What are the benefits/problems of the pre-cocked striker?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re the P99QA- "As I understand it" the difference between it and the standard P99 are trigger pull, travel of the trigger, and whether the gun can be completely decocked.  The P99QA has a rather short travel for the trigger, but the trigger pull is roughly 7.5 lbs.  The standard model has, in my opinion, a long travel for its trigger, but a lighter trigger pull which is closer to 5.5 lbs.  (There is a graph on Walther's homepage to illustrate the concept.)

http://www.waltheramerica.com/p99_specs.htm  

Also, the P99QA can be completely decocked by using the decocker, whereas the standard P99 reverts from what is essentially a single action with a chambered round to double action.  In contrast, you can squeeze the trigger of a decocked P99QA and it will not fire until you re-cock it by partially pulling back the slide as though you were checking to see if you had a round in the pipe.  You'll hear a click and you're ready to go when you release the slide.

-I don't know if this will enter into it for you, but some pistol competitions will require that you decock the standard P99 so you'd be firing it uncocked for the first shot (with the long travel depicted in the graph).  Of course, the following shots would have a shorter travel, but many find it annoying to have the first shot require a different trigger pull.  

-I like my trigger pull and travel to be identical for every shot, so I think the P99QA has a better action, but I also think the lighter trigger pull of the standard P99 is desirable because you can feel the 2 lbs. difference.   -However, it's all up to your personal preference.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I prefer the std. trigger, due to its quicker/shorter reset.
The P99QA has a more consistent trigger pull, but the reset is very long compared to the std. trigger.
My wife loves her QA.
It's a personal thing you'll have to decide on for yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the aobve explanations. The QA is a little stiffer in trigger pull, I thought I read somewhere it was 6.5 lbs. If you are trained on Glocks, then it would be very similar because they are 5.5 lbs in trigger pull. I also enjoy the full decocker function in that it completely disables the trigger and all you have to do is pull the slide back a tiny bit and you'll see the red pin pop out of the back of the slide and hear the click as explained above. It does not require anything near a full racking to feed the chamber and some people like to carry that wasy with the QA with one round in the chamber that only requires a little "pull back" of the slide to activate the firing pin. I also agree that the P99 has a nicer single action. Some people are more comfortable in carrying a P99 with one round in the chamber and having a long first double action trigger pull. Some others would rather have a consistent trigger pull at all times. I think you should try whatever you are more comfortable with and would suggest owning both!

·
Registered
122 Posts
All the comments are on point.  The one thing that I would add about the QA is that if you take out the slack on the trigger before breaking the shot, you can AD easily if not careful.  The slack comes out at about an eighth of an inch and the shot breaks at a quarter of an inch.  Spend some time on the range getting used to the shorter trigger pull of the QA.  I have a standard P99 and the QA and love both, but there is a difference in the slack out point on the two.  The standard P99 is definitely more pronouced  

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agree with all the descriptions above.
The SA in regular P99 does have a very fast trigger reset, it's hard to beat that.
The pull on QA is short and slower reset.
Rapid fire on QA is doable. In one session we were required to fire 6 shots in 4 seconds with no round in the chamber to start with, I beat the buzzer with little moments left.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In one session we were required to fire 6 shots in 4 seconds with no round in the chamber to start with, I beat the buzzer with little moments left.
Just out of curiosity, why would you start chamber empty?
With my current split times at around .20 seconds, and my from concealed to first shot time of around 1.75 seconds.
From concealed I should be able to put 8-9 rounds on target (A-zone) at 7 yards in 4 seconds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's just the format of the indoor match, regardless what variations, and slow fire or rapid fire, besides different time limits, every session started with empty chambers and rack the slides.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's just the format of the indoor match, regardless what variations, and slow fire or rapid fire, besides different time limits, every session started with empty chambers and rack the slides.
How strange.
Is there any reasoning behind this?
Is it a range safety thing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd supposed it has to be the indoor range safety criteria.
Had outdoor class/match before, we were all started with one round in the chamber, holstered, when the buzzer went off.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Airfix @ Nov. 16 2002,9:10)]I'd supposed it has to be the indoor range safety criteria.
Had outdoor class/match before, we were all started with one round in the chamber, holstered, when the buzzer went off.
In my experience, the most dangerous time for muzzle sweeping people and all around muzzle UNawareness, is when doing manipulations..... such as racking the slide.
It seems that some places try to make it so safe, that it ends up being dangerous.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My only problem with the QA is trigger reset. The trigger reset is very long it only shows up in my shooting when I shoot fast. I am a Glock shooter as well, and the trigger reset on the glock is quicker. Other than that, I prefer this model over the others.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone tried dropping in a Glock/wolf replacement spring into thier QA? Looks like others have tried this with good drop in trigger pull.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts