Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A foot of snow brought life-as-we-know-it in WesternWashington to a complete halt. (Can youbelieve it? Only 35 plows in a city of800,000!) We’re snowed in and I clearly have too much time on my hands (maybe Ishould just go clean guns for the next three days).
I’m trading a for a P99c this week (after the thaw) and itgot me thinking about my Walthers.
As I go down the list, which ones really interest me, whichones are so similar to other guns of their type that the Walther roll markreally doesn’t add anything to the accumulation; and which ones should I be onthe prowl for.
I’ve got a few Walthers already: P1, P1 Manurhin, P4, P5, andPPQ in 9 & 45 (and had a few that got sold/traded).
I’d like a few more but when I think about it:
The PPX is prettyrun-of-the mill and duplicate Sigs, PX4s, Smiths and a bunch of other mid-priced9s.
The P99c is agreat carry gun for me (as a Qc would be but I’m getting a great trade on the99) and the PPQ is an upgrade on the P99 so a P99 is a no go. There’s really nothing else like it on themarket and I regret ever trading the 99c I had.
A PPS is good…butthe 99c is also and it duplicates many other smallish carry guns (Sig, M&P,etc.)
CCP isjust too fussy and still gets mixed reviews.
PPQ Igot and love. Nothing like ‘em, evenM&P 2.0s.
PK380 I had one and sold it for M&P EZ plus Ihave a Beretta 85F for a metal .380. It’sa nice gun but nothing extraordinary.
P5 Outstanding. I would carry but its too good a gun to getlocked up in some ADA’s evidence locker if the absolute worst ever happened. Should be looking for a P5compact next.
PP& PPK Bingo. Need one ofthese even though I have an FEG copy/clone. There’s lots of .32 and .380s out there….but this is the tops andcompetes with the Colt 1903 in every way.
P88 Someoneplease start a “go-fund-me” so I can afford one of these, esp. in compact.
P22 No…justgot a brand new Ruger MK IV now out for trigger work at Volquartsen. There are a million nice .22s in plastic and metaland this one is nothing special.
Classics WWIIP38 on my list. Have P1s. I have no earthly ideas about the 4s or 5s orthe other classics. Gotta re-read my Waltherbooks.
I’m not sure what anyone is going to do about this post…butwould love to hear some comments. (Inthe old days I’d pour a big glass of 12 year old Laphroaig,strike up my pipe and settle in to the warm glow of a fire. These days it’s a cup of tea (and yeah, witha little Irish in it) and the warm glow of a computer screen.
Stay warm and stay safe. I’m going to spend the next hour dry firing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
There is always room in a collection for an example of a Walther (ac marked) P38. You are certainly correct there. Get one while you still can.

Your thinking seems fairly good but I think you should add a P99 to you collection as the mothership has decided to retire that platform.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a PPK/S and a G42. I like the way the Glock shoots, but the PPK/S is much more accurate. I’ve shot a few 9 mm(and a .357, a 10 mm, and a 45), but I carry a CCP M2, it’s a perfect fit for my old(er) hands. No major issues with it either. Failures to feed were because of cheap ammo we bought. Had night sights put on it and it functions like it should. I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite, had all the guts replaced, custom grips for it...my favorite pistol of all. I have a red dot sight on it and it’s just fun to shoot. Still a bear to clean though... Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
117 Posts
My first handgun was a Walther PPK in .380 just before the restrictions of the '68 Gun Control Act. When I was sixteen I had my driver's license, a beat up Chevy and a summer job. I saved my money and my Dad bought the PPK with my money. It was made in France as I remember.

Several years later as a newly wed college student and ex-Marine I needed money so the PPK had to go. Wish I had it back.

Now I have three Walther PPQs, including a very fine Q5, along with a P99 compact. Great guns all. When I get out some of my too many striker fired polymer wonders to just look at, the only ones that are close to the fit and finish of my Walthers are my H&K VP9s. And even though I like my VPs I like my PPQs better.

OP, that's what I think about Walthers. The ones I own or have owned are excellent handguns.

I do hope Walther doesn't retire the P99 as I had planned to add a full sized version sometime in the future. I just found out that FN is retiring the FNS line and I have two of those as well. Bummer if both those lines are discontinued.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SCAR -- As much as I'm tempted to go for a full-size 99, I figure the Qs kinda improved on them so much that I'll save my money for something else. And a while ago I started looking at my plastic-fantastic and realized I didn't like them nearly as much as my "real" guns...and started to whittle down the inventory. I'm now down to just 4 striker-fired guns: 2 Qs and 2 M&Ps. Everything else is hammer fired (I do have 3 plastic hammer guns, a M&P EZ and 2 Beretta PX4s.)

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
The comparison between the PPQ and P99 is a little different than just an upgrade or an improvement. It's two different trigger styles, different grip, different rail, and with the QM2, different mags.

The PPS was out in 2007. Predating most other single stack 9mm. To say it's a duplicate of them doesn't do it justice. I own two and they are both fantastic, even despite the newest one being nearly 6 years old now, and the other one is a 2010.

So yeah...I'm nitpicky. If you're gonna compare, be realistic..

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The PPS was out in 2007. Predating most other single stack 9mm. To say it's a duplicate of them doesn't do it justice.
This is what I think of Walther. They are innovators, who usually get the ball rolling in regards to changing the game in regards to features in pistols.

The P99 was the first polymer pistol with replaceable backstraps, and they matched that with arguably the most ergonomic grip available in polymer pistols. The P99 grip is still better than most others I've handled that have been released since the P99 was released 22 years ago. How many other manufacturers use replaceable backstraps since then?

The PPS was one of the first single stack polymer pistols that I know of. I'm not very interested in ultra compact pistols that give up that amount of capacity for that amount of concealability, but I don't believe it would be wrong to ask how many other manufactuers made an ultra compact single stack polymer pistol since then.

The PPQ changed the game in regards to trigger pull quality on striker fired pistols. How many pistols from other manufacturers that have been released since the PPQ, have better triggers than they would have had, only because the PPQ had an excellent trigger and got endless praise for it?

What I think about Walther is that even if one day I find another polymer defensive pistol that I shoot better than a P99 or PPQ, there is an extremely strong chance some characteristics of that pistol were designed the way they were designed because of Walther. They get a certain respect from me for that. That being said, I'd still switch to another pistol in a heartbeat if I found one that I shot better that had a similar amount of reliability, durability, and accuracy. I haven't found one yet.

The Umarex pistols are not on my mind at all. I doubt that I would even consider purchasing one in my lifetime. They are made to a much lower standard, and are made in a different factory, apparently with a different set of designers, and a different workforce. But because pistols from these two different factories have the same name on the slide, we are forced to lump them both together in these conversations. If Umarex didn't purchase Walther, and didn't have the ability to put "Walther" on the slide of their pistols instead of "Umarex", I wonder if they'd still be in the firearm business now.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
This is what I think of Walther. They are innovators, who usually get the ball rolling in regards to changing the game in regards to features in pistols.

The P99 was the first polymer pistol with replaceable backstraps, and they matched that with arguably the most ergonomic grip available in polymer pistols. The P99 grip is still better than most others I've handled that have been released since the P99 was released 22 years ago. How many other manufacturers use replaceable backstraps since then?

The PPS was one of the first single stack polymer pistols that I know of. I'm not very interested in ultra compact pistols that give up that amount of capacity for that amount of concealability, but I don't believe it would be wrong to ask how many other manufactuers made an ultra compact single stack polymer pistol since then.

The PPQ changed the game in regards to trigger pull quality on striker fired pistols. How many pistols from other manufacturers that have been released since the PPQ, have better triggers than they would have had, only because the PPQ had an excellent trigger and got endless praise for it?

What I think about Walther is that even if one day I find another polymer defensive pistol that I shoot better than a P99 or PPQ, there is an extremely strong chance some characteristics of that pistol were designed the way they were designed because of Walther. They get a certain respect from me for that. That being said, I'd still switch to another pistol in a heartbeat if I found one that I shot better that had a similar amount of reliability, durability, and accuracy. I haven't found one yet.

The Umarex pistols are not on my mind at all. I doubt that I would even consider purchasing one in my lifetime. They are made to a much lower standard, and are made in a different factory, apparently with a different set of designers, and a different workforce. But because pistols from these two different factories have the same name on the slide, we are forced to lump them both together in these conversations. If Umarex didn't purchase Walther, and didn't have the ability to put "Walther" on the slide of their pistols instead of "Umarex", I wonder if they'd still be in the firearm business now.
I have to agree with you for the most part. I see Umarex as the Taurus of Europe. Even when they have a good idea, the execution is likely to be subpar. The seem to aim for a toy-like standard and usually hit it.

·
Super Moderator
7,317 Posts
Can't get excited about the poly Walthers; had a .22 for awhile, and it felt good in the hand, but was a fussy eater.
Glocks and a Sig now answer my defensive needs, and I like the steel Walthers, but most of my current interest is in older stuff, range and safe queens.
Moon

·
Registered
33 Posts
MK IV

I have two Ruger MK IV's I sent to Volquartsen; and they have the sharpest and crispest triggers I have ever owned.

Also have four Walther PP's I need to sell at a fair price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two Ruger MK IV's I sent to Volquartsen; and they have the sharpest and crispest triggers I have ever owned.

Also have four Walther PP's I need to sell at a fair price.

PPS, PPK, PPQ? I'm thinking of getting a PPQ 9mm is reason I ask.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can't get excited about the poly Walthers; had a .22 for awhile, and it felt good in the hand, but was a fussy eater.
Glocks and a Sig now answer my defensive needs, and I like the steel Walthers, but most of my current interest is in older stuff, range and safe queens.
Moon
I love my steel and aluminum framed handguns, but in the last 10 years or so most of my handgun choices have been the polymer framed striker fired ones. Light, strong and mostly ergonomic frames that are easy to carry. And generally a bit less expensive than the all metal ones since the polymer frame is less expensive to produce.

Everyone should buy and use whatever handguns they want. I'm happy that in the U.S. we have so many choices in handguns. I have a bunch of handguns in both polymer and metal framed handguns from a number of different makers and will likely buy more.

Handgunning life is good.

·
Registered
592 Posts
-- Of the PP series, the PPK is my favorite.
-- I've owned ZM pre-war, Ulm, IA and SW variants of the PPK.
-- For me, the ZM and Ulm variants are the epitome of Walther firearms craftmanship.
-- For me, the SW variant is the most reliable PPK with all types of projectiles. (The SW variant is often faulted for its (highly effective) extended tang but rarely lauded for its excellent continous feed ramp.)
-- I've bought several new SW variants with the rear sight off center. (My assertion is this was because the factory test fire was not at a target.)
-- I've experienced hammer follow and decocking mostly with surplus police PP pistols.
-- I've found rust under the grips and broken signal pins mostly on PPKS pistols. (My assertion is the PPKS is the most common carry PP series pistol.)
-- I've never found rust under the grips of the PPK variant of the PP series.
-- I've found that post war PP series pistols usually have excellent bores due to modern ammo.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I enjoy all my Walthers.ppk,ppks,pps,ccp,p99 and my ppx.Looking forward to checking out the new ppk at the NRA convention in Indy next month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts