• 9mm

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 4 66.7%
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
don;t close this thread!

us new walther owners need a place to vote!

I chose .40 - I am new to pistols. I checked ammo costs and for the difference in $, the positives of havig a .40 outweigh the 9 for SHTF scenarios... also it makes a bigger boom! I will have to focus on not developing any bad habits.

I remember a day at the range shooting a 1911 45 and a glock 9mm with my wife. we switched for a bit... and when she handed the 45 back to me I was happy and pleased to hand her back the 9mm.

I haven;t shot the .40 but I think it will be 'just right'.

fed007

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Well I am new here and new to guns overall.... I grew up in Germany and there guns are not as easly bought as here.. though I love handguns (can't shot rifle for shit due to righthanded,left eye dominant)
anyhow...I bought a 2004 P99/AS... and would had bought the compact at the same day if they had any in AS mode...

AS for the .40 vs. 9mm...... I found this on another forum though its old it might be interesting to all of you

.40 http://glocktalk.com/attachm....5594195

9mm http://glocktalk.com/attachm....5594206

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
HEHEHEH
Now i got both too... due to the "going away" of the P99/AS

though I still want a P99/AS incompact

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 01 2005,21:52)]Well, long story short, t'was me. Problem was, shooting right handed and aiming with my LEFT eye  
 ( I am used to shotguns) Put every shot thereafter on paper.
I am not sure about this statement... but I am right handed left eyed dominat and I do just fine aiming with the left eye

I shot a 22.cal before .. but the Walther's were my first "real"
guns and I didn't have any problems .... I still consider myself a newbie to the gun world .. but I sure can hit what I am aiming at.... the groups are not always the best but hey it's not a target pistol.
That said
safe shooting

·
Registered
34 Posts
40 S&W is the way to go in Canada.... Why? So you don't have a goofy looking protruding barrel.

To anyone reading this post you may wish to research the any competions you may wish to shoot. Some competitions require a 10 mm or larger. The 40 S&W will qualify but the 9 mm won't. But the calibre that suits your needs.

Although points goto the 9 mm for the Walther threaded barrel and silencer. Too bad they are illegal in Canada.

Ce la vie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Eh, I'm not an owner QUITE yet, but might as well add my input.

After trying various .40's, 9mm, and 45's, I chose the 9mm. I'm a healthy and fit guy, but quite skinny (5 foot 10, 145ish lbs.) I just felt that the 9mm was a bit more controllable and comfortable to me than the .40SW. Plus, I like the higher capacity magazines, and I'm not too terribly worried about using it for self-defense. I live in a safe part of the city, and it isn't a huge priority. Plus, it's a great starter caliber, as ammo is plentiful and cheap.

I'm sure in the future I'll jump up calibers, but for now, 9mm seems just about right.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well. I just read all ten pages of this thread and look forward to getting my own P99 before too much longer. I already have two Lugers in 9mm and hope to get a P38 which will also be 9mm. The wife wants a PPK/s in 9mmk. Guess I'm leaning toward .40S&W for my P99 if I can still get the AS vesion. Then I'll cast my vote.

Russell

BTW the avatar is Messier 99, spiral galaxy in Coma Berenices.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.