What do YOU have? 9mm or .40 -

• 9mm

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 4 66.7%
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 3 9mm's and four standard capacity mags, as well as the six 10 rndrs that came with the guns. I also have two after market mags that hold 13 and 14 rnds respectively. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the compacts, so I can buy another P99 in 9mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased the P99 Military QA in .40 S&W.  Awesome gun. Great accuracy in a great size. I love the trigger, very smooth.  I'm still waiting for S&W to send me my extra capacity magazines (after a month and a half of waiting). The only thing I don't like about the new changes to this gun, is the curved front of the trigger guard (Walther also removed the little 'nub' in the bottom of the inside of the trigger guard on the newest .40 versions). I always place my weak hand pointer finger there when I shoot with a two-handed grip.  With the new curved bottom of the trigger guard, my finger slips off after every shot.  Obviously, no problems like that with one-handed shooting.  Anyone else have that qualm?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have two .40 P-99s; a military and a standard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a P99 military AE (2004) chambered in .40 s&w. It is a very tough versatile reliable weapon. I chose the .40 cal because of the extra stopping power of the larger .40 and the other cal barrels available for the .40, i.e. .357 sig, and 9mm. In primary instruction and subsequent qualifying with a Baretta 9mm, I found that the baretta was too large for my hands as I am fairly fine boned for a man and far too large and heavy of a weapon for being such a small cal. (not the model of efficiency) the army should have stuck with the 1911 or switched right over to the P99 when it was introduced. I'm glad that as an officer I can carry almost anything I want, because I'm not going to carry the baretta it wouldn't do me much good in a tactical situation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Soon I willl have both--I ordered a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel for my .40 P-99s.

I will just have to decide which one gets the barrel--should it be the Interarms black model or the Carl Walther LCC Military model?

I acquired two 10 round 9mm factory mags this week.  Has anyone tried to tweak a .40 mag for 9mm?  I figure it should fit at least 12 rounds based on what I have encountered with my CZ pistols and the XD-9 that I had.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd be interested to see how it works for you Cigarman. Did you have to order new springs too? I'd imagine that the stock spring and slide combo won't work very well with the 9mm cartridge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The guy I got a return e-mail from at Bar-Sto when I asked about spings told me he has a 9mm conversion barrel in his P99 and uses the factory .40 springs with no problem.

As for the  357 SIG  barrel, I have a Keltec P-11 in 357 SIG.  Hot round.  The only problem is that it is very expensive to shoot.  I may get a conversion barrel of the P99 next since i already get ammo for the P-11.

I got the 9mm barrel first because I have many 9mm pistols and lots of ammo.  I have two P99 in .40 because I got great deals on them and figured I could convert one to 9.  I knew that Bar-Sto made a 9mm conversion barrel and that they only had a few left--I don't know if they will make them on a regular basis, so that one came first.

I also carry SENTRY rounds in my 9mm--low chance of ricochett.  The 357 SIG is flat and has hi penetrability--not good for a protection round in any situation where a ricochet or penetrating a wall may be a problem.  The SENTRY will also go through a windshield or flatten a tire without those dangers and will get stopped by a vest.

·
Registered
539 Posts
9mm is a very capable round Shottieman. If it didn't kill people well it's wouldn't be the most popular pistol round in the world.

I chose the 40 because I can only get 10 round mags and figured I might as well go as heavy as possible in that case. If I could use 15 round 9mms it might be a different story. Still the 40 is quite controllable, even with one hand. If the range allowed it I could easily pop all ten in a man sized target at 20' within a few seconds, one handed. And I am a beginning shooter.

There's no replacement for shot placement

·
Registered
27 Posts
This being my first pistol, and first one that I shot, I suffer from the almighty flinch. I knew that I was going to and just felt that I would be more capable of controlling a 9mm rather than the .40. When I do go bigger, I will go .45 without a doubt. Not to go OT, but I have a funny rookie story to share. I went to the range on Saturday shortly after purchasing and shot 50 rounds through this badboy. I was nervous not knowing what to expect but after a couple I really warmed to the gun. After I was finished I checked my target and has notice that out of the 50 rounds, only 3 hit the paper. At that point I was slighty disappointed thinking mabye that is was the gun (first mistake
). I decided to go back on monday (after changing the front sight thinking mabye I was shooting way low). I took it a little slower and decided to practice stance and technique to try and figure out if it was ME and not the GUN. Well, long story short, t'was me. Problem was, shooting right handed and aiming with my LEFT eye
( I am used to shotguns) Put every shot thereafter on paper.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.