Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I think they are a chunk of change. I spent $300 in a laser in the early 1990s. Not, with experience, and am no longer into the laser thing - I think they aren't worth the money. I can see the point of a tac light in a dark sitaution. But, I don't think a laser is worth the money. If ya gotta have 1, there are some cheaper ones U can buy.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, there will be fans of lasers here. And, I am sure they will post. It is kinda cool to go to the range, drop the laser on a spot, and pull the trigger. Be aware that you must sight it in at a specific distance. At any other range but that exact distance, you will shoot either higher or lower than where the laser sits.

Lasers in real life also don't work quite like you see on tv. When you have 1, you will see how much your hand shakes with the dot on the target.

It makes a cool toy, but I think that's all it is good for.

Go to www.cheaperthandirt.com - They have some lasers for $50 or less, I believe (if memory serves correct). You don't want the cheap, cheap, cheap ones that attach to the trigger guard (you can probably get 1 of those for $10) - this will scratch up the finish on the frame. But, I believe they sell some cheap ones that attach to the rails of the gun, assuming that you have standard size picatinny rails

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It makes a cool toy, but I think that's all it is good for.
I would have to agree here. I bought one for a P22 thinking I would see if I wanted one for the P99. I am glad I only dropped $65.00. It is a cool toy but it is not worth it IMHO. I think TV and Crimson Trace are great for marketing but I don't think much of them for real shooting. My opinion was confirmed to me by the head of the Metro PD Swat in my city when I heard him lecture in an academy...he said they don't use it, they found it took away from their shooting skills. Guys seemed to rely on the laser rather than sight alignment. And since not every situation is going to favor using the laser it was more of a determent. Some departments may find them useful but many do not.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't have a laser, but I have the laser devices Las-Tac II light in the Walther mount for my 03 P99. It is one hell of a light. Only down side is the Proprietary mount system is a lousy design for fast on/off. It also makes for a less than compact light. Kudo's to LDI for being able to make a product that fits a proprietary mounting system.

BTW I was able to get mine for a decent price and it fits perfect, weapon has functioned perfectly with it mounted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[b said:
Quote[/b] (madecov @ Jan. 07 2006,16:22)]I don't have a laser, but I have the laser devices Las-Tac II light in the Walther mount for my 03 P99. It is one hell of a light. Only down side is the Proprietary mount system is a lousy design for fast on/off. It also makes for a less than compact light. Kudo's to LDI for being able to make a product that fits a proprietary mounting system.

BTW I was able to get mine for a decent price and it fits perfect, weapon has functioned perfectly with it mounted.
Do you have a picture of the Las-Tac mounted on your 03 P99?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't have a digicam.
The Las-Tac II is a lot nicer looking than the original light and it works well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First -- laser aimimg devices are tools, just like any other tool you might use to accomplish a task.  It has its uses AND there are many places where it doesn't help increase your chances of coming out on top. The trick is to learn when and where to use them......to give yourself a tactical advantage.

When to use or not use.......could be a whole thread to itself, so I will only give one example of when a Laser sight system may help. If you are getting older and your eyes are not as strong as they use to be......... a laser can help you temendously in putting the round on target in a consistent manner, even without your glasses on in many cases. Also, for training purposes [ learning trigger control ] the laser can be a very effective tool [ OK, thats 2 ]. Lasers & LEO's........I would like to point out what might be obvious to many..... most TAC teams would only use the IR laser [ only visible to night vision equipment ] and only sold to law enforcement from Laser Devices Inc.

Here is a laser attached to my P-99

http://www.pbase.com/blackbeard350/image/43838996
The shield on the front of the laser was made by me to protect the lens from muzzle blast.

All of the lasers made by "Laser Devices, Inc." are very well made and designed to stand up to recoil. I have fired over 4,000 rds. from my P-99 with laser attached and have never had to adjust zero after the intitial alignment. They are extremely bright...... Only Crimsion Trace compares in this cat. of brightness for civilian laser sight systems.

NO - lasers are not for everyone........ but the DO have some usefulness if you know when and how to use them.

JF.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sniper350, thanks for your opinion and pics. I'm leaning toward getting a laser/light combo, such as the Blast 2. It doesn't look like it's that much bigger than the Las/Tac 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts