Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals, dono if you remember my first post...
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6205&highlight=zagato

In the continuation of that post i would like to focus on LONG TERM RELIABLITY/PROBLEMS:
If you have/ havent had problems over several hundred/thousand rounds, please include your maintainance routine and frequency.

As of today ive yet to fire or handle a p99 but am still dead set on getting one in the near future. definitely before November 2008 ;)

Cant wait for replies

Zagato

·
Registered
335 Posts
hey guys and gals, dono if you remember my first post...
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6205&highlight=zagato

In the continuation of that post i would like to focus on LONG TERM RELIABLITY/PROBLEMS:
If you have/ havent had problems over several hundred/thousand rounds, please include your maintainance routine and frequency.

As of today ive yet to fire or handle a p99 but am still dead set on getting one in the near future. definitely before November 2008 ;)

Cant wait for replies

Zagato

Zagato:

Walther P99's simply do NOT have long term reliability problems. If you have done your research the ONLY P99's that EVER had "reliability" issues were not even pistol issues, but MAGAZINE issues and only on the early 40 cal models. These issues were resolved by new 40 cal mag. followers and that was years ago and a dead issue.

You can get a thousand history and maintenance posts regarding individual P99's and it will have absolutely NOTHING to do with the one that you buy. Every manufacturer in the world makes a defective product sooner or later. If you are unlucky you might get a lemon, but I assure you lemons in the P99 series of Walther pistols are rare and chances are excellent you won't have problem and IF you did the excellent Customer Service/Warranty Repair Department will resolve whatever problem you are having quickly and to your satisfaction.

With the exception of the before mentioned 40cal. mag follower problems of the early 40cal P99's there simply is NO history of any kind of problems with the P99 pistol.

I suggest if you want a Walther P99 you just get one and don't worry about it. If you are the type person who is going to stress over the potential for a firearm failing (or anything else made by man) you had better stick with a baseball bat. No reliability issues with one of those. (traditional wood or aluminum).

I'm a senior citizen who has owned, or presently own the PP/P1/P5/P99c/AS/P99/AS/PPS and I've never had one fail me yet. I can't say that about some of the other manufacturers firearms I've owned over the past 50 years. Chances are your body will fail before a Walther P99 will....

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I've had two P99's over the last ten years (since they've been in the U.S.) and have had zero problems of any sort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i guess this thread can be put to rest. No, im not the type to worry about the occasional failure. Im trying to talk myself out of buying one but i simply cant from what ive read. Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
well i guess this thread can be put to rest. No, im not the type to worry about the occasional failure. Im trying to talk myself out of buying one but i simply cant from what ive read. Thanks

Zagato:

I've simply never had a better firearm than a Walther....

My P99c/AS was so good I immediately bought a full size P99/AS..

My P99c/AS and P99/AS were so good I bought a new PPS...

So far my PPS has been so good I will buy whatever Walther decides to come out with next.. :D

Just getcha' one (in "AS" mode if possible). You'll see what we are talking about and you'll be glad you did.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
225 Posts
April 2007 I bought my 1st Generation, 9mm, P99 AS, used with supposedly less than 500 rounds shot thorough it. I've shot about 2000 rounds since then and without a hiccup of any sort. I've dry fired probably a couple of thousand times also. I've cleaned it 3 times. I'm happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned my P99AS .40 for a few months now, and have exactly 1100 rounds through her. ZERO problems. I'm sure there are many on here who have several thousand rounds through their's. This is THE most comfortable and reliable handgun I've ever owned. I don't really NEED another one, but I'll probably buy another one anyways. From all the good things I've read about the compacts, a 9 or 40 compact P99AS is probably in my future.:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I dont have an exact round count, but I've fired ~1200rds through my 9mm AS with zero malfuntions. No failure to feed, eject, fire - zip,zero,nada. I clean after every range trip, and the gun looks about the same as after the first range trip.

The only thing that's changed long-term is the trigger smoothed out. ;)

thorn

·
Registered
28 Posts
What I like about my P99C:
- Ultrareliable, goes bang every time you pull the trigger.
- durable
- great design, possibly the best designed polymer pistol IMHO.

What I dislike:
Availability of spare parts especially at a more affordable price, which is ridiculous for a pistol that has been around for over 10 years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had my P99QA for 3+ Years. Cleaned her 3-4 times. Shoot IDPA monthly with her.

EASILY 3-4,000 rounds thorugh her. Nary a hic-up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the thousands or so rounds I've fired from mine, I've had two stoppages with my P99. One was without explanation, and the other one was yesterday. I had inadvertantly loaded a round that had a bent casing, and it locked the gun up tight. Luckily one of the gun range guys was able to get it out.

The only other issue I have with mine is the small pin in the trigger working its way out now and then.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have three 9mm P99s and have never had any sort of malf with any of them.
My first P99 has over 5k rnds through it and has all original parts in it.
I wouldn't worry too much about the long term reliability of the P99 series.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 99C AS has a thousand rounds through it with no problems other than the fact I make everyone else jealous at the range who are shooting their $150 gun show special plastic 9mm's that look like something you'd get out of a box of Trix.... The Germans make great cars, guns and beer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts