Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but used to do a fair amount of trading back in the 80's so may be a result of that

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am by no means an expert on historic Walthers, but since you haven't received an definitive answer I'll hazard a guess that your pistol is a late Model 2 or an early Model 5. What speaks for the Model 2 are the 9 slide serrations, but the very early Model 5s apparently also had 9, before changing to 16. What speaks for the Model 5 is that the serial number is on the left side of the trigger guard - the Model 2 had the number on the right side.

Another way to determine which model would be to count the rifling grooves. According to my information the Model 2 had 4 grooves, whereas the Model 5 had 6.

There are several members on here who know a lot more about Walther history than I do, so you are at the right address for information. An acknowledged authority on Walthers is Herr Dieter Marschall and he occasionally puts in an appearance here.

In any case, you've got a very old Walther there - probably First World War vintage and manufactured in Zella St. Blasii.

Balor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help. It was, I think, made in Zella St. Blasii as the right side of the slide has that location marked. As to the rifleing, dont know if it's my eyes or wear and tear, but I cant say for sure how many there are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helped, thanks! If I'm reading it right I have a early model 5 due to the stated markings and the serial number on the left. The only concern is the serial number is within the second variant of the model 2. Was there any overlapping of numbers? It wasn't clear if they stopped making the 2 after they made the 5.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I believe in this case it's called sarcasm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts