Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
A34,

Your pistol is a PPK/S made by Ranger for InterArms. The 9 mm kurz means it uses what we in the US call .380 acp ammo. There are many different names for ammo, but if you want to fire it use only .380 acp. This is not the same as other 9 mm ammo, as 9 mm para, etc.. These pistols will usually be very reliable with FMJ ammo. A quality regular .380 acp is what you want to look for to make your pistol happy. Some of the better ammo is Winchester, Federal and companies like these. Stay away from what I call "boutique" ammo with light bullets and excess FPS. Try to get 95 grain FMJ ammo.

It looks like you have a fairly complete kit with the pistol. Is there a test target with the paperwork? Without more information we cannot give you much more information. One thing missing is the red dot on the safety. Check out prior posts to learn how to repair that. There is a ton of information on IA PPK/S pistols on the site. Look them up and you can find out its history.

Duncan

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I get new red dots on eBay ... only $14 and no crawling around on my knees.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A34,

It looks like you have a fairly complete kit with the pistol. Is there a test target with the paperwork? Without more information we cannot give you much more information. One thing missing is the red dot on the safety. Check out prior posts to learn how to repair that. There is a ton of information on IA PPK/S pistols on the site. Look them up and you can find out its history.

Duncan
Thanks! What other information is needed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
A34,

Forum members have compiled a listing of "born on dates" for IA pistols. If you have the test target, or original bill of sale it would help both you and this project. Pictures of both sides with serial numbers help. If your father was the original purchaser and your PPK/S has not been "Tinkered" with, you have a great weapon. They can be picky with ammo, but with proper care can work smoothly. Some will say the .380 is harsher in recoil. Your results may vary. Follow the manual for cleaning procedures and don't go past that in disassembly, unless you are well schooled in pistol craft.

InterArms is no longer in business and its history is listed in other threads. If you have other questions, ask them.

MCMike. I was waiting for your input on red dots. A34 for your benefit forum members have an ongoing humorous attachment for these poor orphaned dots. They are easy to fix, look it up. We went for a red dot hunt a couple of months ago.

You will find this area of the forum a welcoming one, without a lot of conflict. In the "Stickies" at the top of this section there is a ton of good information. You will be amazed at the experts here, I'm not one of them. I love my limited collection of Walthers, and other European handguns. They can be an addicting hobby. Looking forward to your participation.

Duncan

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I have an Interarms PPK and it works great.
When firing it has a very strong and sharp kick, but somehow it stays on target allowing you to do very quick follow up shots, even on transition between DA and SA.
Beware of the slide bite.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys! As far as the red dot goes, I see it was painted on. Any particular color code for the RED? Or am I making too big a deal of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! As far as the red dot goes, I see it was painted on. Any particular color code for the RED? Or am I making too big a deal of it?

Thanks!

It's a joke. I painted one on a PPK, just chose a red fingernail polish color I liked. Took a toothpick and dipped it in polish and put it in the middle of the recess where the dot ought to be. The lacquer flowed down the toothpick and filled the recess, no overflow to clean up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A34,

I went all out and brought Testors bright red model paint for about $2.00. About 1000 red dots in one jar. Use the method Gene gave with the toothpick. Remember to degrease the area and use a small drop. It is better to do another drop after it dries, than to get too much and have it run into places you don't want. Don't use Gun Scrubber spray on it as it will eat red dots and grips, if you haven't removed them. If you really want to get picky buy a bottle of white for the front sight hole (very small) and the post under the notch on the rear sight. These are so small you will get about 2000 each for your purchase. Once again go slow, with a steady hand and these come out perfect.

Duncan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two comments: well, actually one comment and one question.

Slide bite: yes, even when wearing gloves I end up with marks on my right hand after a box of ammo.

Red Dot: I need to replace mine; if we use fingernail polish, won't the solvent we use to clean the gun dissolve the fingernail polish? If so, is there a more permanent solution?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't use much solvent on the outside of the slide...so far, it's good. As far as slide bite, I don't get it for some reason.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Two suggestions to reduce or eliminate slide bite. No Glockish high-and-tight hold, that puts your thumb web high and at risk. Second, if you keep your shooting hand thumb loose and parallel to the slide, try tucking it down and use your support hand’s thumb to cover it and lock it down. That hold will pull your thumb web down and give you a firmer overall grip. I have never had any love bites from my PP-series pistols, and I have bigger than average mitts. My $0.02

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the blued Interarms PPK in .380. Slide bite isn't as much of an issue. It's the snappy recoil. It's just a reality of having the blow back design.

I don't fire it that much. The gun was in mint condition so I would want to keep it looking nice.

·
Registered
661 Posts
After reading this thread,I am really concerned about my red dots. If the Democrats get elected in Novmeber, will we have to change them to blue?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Red Dot: I need to replace mine; if we use fingernail polish, won't the solvent we use to clean the gun dissolve the fingernail polish? If so, is there a more permanent solution?
There is no such condition as "more permanent." It's like "most unique" or "very pregnant"; there are no degrees of them. They either are or they are not.

However...

You can probably achieve a greater longevity for the red dot by using epoxy paint rather than nail polish. Or you can order one of mine currently advertised on the Trader forum; I guarantee they won't dissolve in cyberspace no matter what solvent you use.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
If a most permanent (sorry, Mike) solution isn't what you seek, there's no sin in repainting as needed.
Moon

Reactions: A34
1 - 20 of 21 Posts