Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never shot .380 before so I'm a little lost as to what ammunition to buy. I picked up a 50 round box of Magtech FMC today when I bought my gun. I'd like a round for range work and one for self-defense. What are your favorites for either task?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I generally shoot FMC ammo from Blazer, American Eagle or when I can get it Fiocchi, but it mostly depends on what the local stores have.

I have heard that Magtech is good stuff. I was just shooting some "White Box" Federal 9 m/m and out of four hundred rounds got one that was a total dud ...failed to go off in both a P35 and a P99. So don't be surprised if you do get the ocassional bad round.

Since the Walther was designed years and years ago for FMC ammo, that's all I shoot in mine. If necessary I would rather be able to "bang away" with reliable FMC ammo than tempt Mr. Murphy into the picture with hollow point stuff.

That said, some pistols will feed just about anything - others are very picky and need to have the feed ramps polished up - and that helps. For hollow point stuff just by a box of whatever is around and shoot it - for defense - use the rounds that cycle the best.

I am sure there are other opinions "out there" as to what is best!

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my S&W Walther PPK/S .380 I've used MagTech 95gr FMC, American Eagle 95gr FMC, Sellier & Bellot 92gr FMJ, and Winchester 95gr FMJ. All cycle perfectly. So far I've never used hollow points.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'd like a round for range work and one for self-defense. What are your favorites for either task?
For practice, this is what I would do. Buy the cheapest one available. One or two things might happen. Either it jams or it doesn't. If it jams every once in a while, congratulations. Practice clearing drills. You never know when you might need the experience. If it jams constantly, time to go up the scale. Magtech seems to work just fine. All brands mentioned so far would fit the bill.

For SD, I recomend this one,
http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/index2.html
The loading includes a 90 gr. GDHP that should travel at about 1,030-1,040 fps. Excellent quality and service. The owner, Mr. Huisinga, is very uncompromising about his offerings. I'd pick a couple of boxes, one to get used to it and the other for carry.

Btw, check the Bargains section. Good deals there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tend to shoot Federal, Fiocchi, Remington from WMT, and also have Speer
Gold Dots for carry purposes...usually order my ammo from Grafs, Natchez, or maybe Ammoman, or Sportsmans Guide....local sources are just to unreliable.
Except for WMT....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts