Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a set of AquaNot custom-made plugs for outdoor clays shooting, and the same plus Peltor muffs when shooting indoors or on an outdoor firing line. A lot of hearing loss is from shooters next to you. The custom made plugs are convenient but the cheap foam disposables are just as effective. Just be aware that a lot of sound impulses enter via the bone structure around your ears, thus the importance of doubling the protection, especially indoors.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Otis Ear Shield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The good old cheap (but big and ugly) earmuffs.
3M Peltor Optime III

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
A SilencerCo Omega suppressor and a SilencerCo Hybrid suppressor. Hearing protection for all!

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
What do you call an old shooter? Any damn thing you like; he can't hear you anyway.
3M/Peltor electronic muffs; big domes indoors, smaller ones outdoors for rifles.
They also offer excellent customer service, and you can get the cushions replaced.
The orange, rollup plugs are also excellent.

Moon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Howard Leight Impact Electronic. Nice low profile for a cheek weld with longer guns and it’s nice to hear what’s going on around me while I shoot.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Muffs and plugs in combination. Knew too many old Gunnery Sgt's......

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Well combining muffs and plugs would make the active noise cancelling feature of my muffs pointless because then I can't hear what's going on around me. Also, plugs mess with my balance/perception of where I am in three dimensional space, i.e.balance I guess.

My grandmother's brother was an artillery man in Russia and he was stone deaf. So... Good example of what not to do. Like don't get drafted in the Wehrmacht, don't go to Russia, don't be near loud noises for five years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I see many of you use both earplugs plus ear muffs. I have Howard Leight ImpactPro EN352 ear muffs. Do I need to also use ear plugs with these when range shooting? Also, when I use these ear muffs on the setting where I can hear people talk am I protected from harmful sounds at the same time. Or only when I turn them up all the way to muffle all sound out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I merely use both just because when I wear sunglasses my muffs don’t get a perfect seal. I’ve already got some hearing loss and I like to preserve what I have left the best I can.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts