Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few photos from my Walther collection of a consecutive serial number set of Walther PPK 7,65mm pistols. These two examples were produced 100% in Ulm, Germany. Examples are without import mark. A desirable feature for a collectable. Ulm PPK production falls within the 8K serial number range. The proof marks on these two PPK are AA. Examples were most likely produced circa mid 1990's or late 1990's. Then proofed in 2000 for disbursement to the commercial market. This would be typical since demand for Ulm produced PP/ PPK was rather flat due to import restrictions and also the high number of French/ German models readily available. The finish on these pistols is a satin blue. Disbursement is in plastic black box, reserve magazine, manual, test target, and cleaning stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin, yes the PPK in 7,65mm in the 8K serial range is very scarce in the U.S. I have been offered multiple times 9mm kurz PPK that were produced in Ulm. Have declined them since the 7,65mm guns in either PP/ PPK really interest me.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Just curious:

Is the lower support for the hammer spring a removable stamped-metal part as in the Manurhin/Walther guns, or is it a buttress cast integral with the frame?

M

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious:

Is the lower support for the hammer spring a removable stamped-metal part as in the Manurhin/Walther guns, or is it a buttress cast integral with the frame?

M
It is the same as found on the Manurhin/ Walther produced guns.

Rick

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It's a quite near 'derivate' of the Manurhin PPK. For example the chamfer above trigger guard is missing.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Nice guns. I'm missing something; how did these examples dodge the GCA'68?
Moon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice set of walthers!! Do you shoot them or just collect them? Never get tired of looking at Walthers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice guns. I'm missing something; how did these examples dodge the GCA'68?
Moon
Thanks! Any post 1968 PPK dodges the GCA by taking a trip on a plane or ship.... Seriously, though, once they arrive in country (what ever their chosen method of travel may be). They are entirely legal once in the States and of course serial numbers are present and one passes through NICS check. Most all post 1968 examples are quite scarce in the U.S. and for the most part they exchange hands only within established collector circles. The 9mm kurz examples encountered post 1968 are a little more common. The 7,65mm PPK after stated timeframe is much less common and more rare in the 8K serial number range.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
On the topic of non-Import marked Walther firearms in the US.

I came across a private seller NIB/non-Import marked P5 twin barrel, Cat-1062 marked slide, produced for Italian market. The original purchase receipt was in the box, showing a US military base Rod and Gun Club in Ansbach, Germany (north of Ulm).

After some searching online, I found that US military members returning to the U.S. with these firearms (purchased at "Rod and Gun Clubs") were allowed to claim them on a "household Goods" declaration doc. This circumvented SOME of the GCA'68 regulations, and no Import marks were applied to these firearms.

It seems Walther has moved some "sluggish sellers" thru the German U.S. Military bases thru the years.
My "sluggish seller" P5 was produced with a 7.65x21 (aka; 7.65 Para, aka; 30 Luger) barrel, Walther produced these for the Italian market.
The ~1500 examples produced was more then the Italian market demanded/required, so Walther just dropped a 9mm barrel in the box (without a S/N), labeled the box as a 9x19 P5 (a close look at the labeled box shows a white label (Italian 7.65 Para label) under the orange (9x19) one), then sold them at the R&G Clubs (with both a serialized 7.65x21 and UN-serialized 9mm Para barrel).

I find it odd that the box label shows 9x19 caliber and the firearm S/N, yet the 7.65x21 barrel ALONE carries the S/N.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the topic of non-Import marked Walther firearms in the US.

After some searching online, I found that US military members returning to the U.S. with these firearms (purchased at "Rod and Gun Clubs") were allowed to claim them on a "household Goods" declaration doc. This circumvented SOME of the GCA'68 regulations, and no Import marks were applied to these firearms.

It seems Walther has moved some "sluggish sellers" thru the German U.S. Military bases thru the years.
The scenario which you describe is very plausible for non import marked guns arriving in the United States. I have a P99 with no import mark (circa 1998). The pistol has the correct rear site, German manual, and sixteen round magazines. Such an example makes me inclined that it was brought back as HHG.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts