Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the negative press I've been reading about W&W PPKs here I went out and got myself this little sweetheart.

I'll find out in a few days how she shoots.

Russell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post! I was considering doing the same, but the price tag stopped me. I keep hoping I can get the Interarms PPK/S to work correctly.

Let us know the range results.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have one that used to be just like yours, less than 900 numbers higher, dated 1967. Its previous owner had, some reason, reblued the slide --maladroitly-- so its collector value was compromised. I judged it to be a pefect candidate for conversion to .22 LR, and fitted with those really neat pear-shaped Nill grips. It's now much more companionable, and makes you want to retch when you see a P22.

M

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I don't know what you paid for that beauty, but it was worth every penny!!

That's a REAL Walther, and seems to be as nice as they get. I especially like that it has no import marks... a real find!!!

Pictures like that are what make the Walther website a really pleasant place to be!!

THANKS!!!!

:)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
What's so horrible about import marks? On all new Walthers that were exported to Interarms, they were applied at the factory in Ulm. They are, in a real sense, "original", and reveal a little of the history of the gun.

As long as an importer's mark is tastefully applied, I don't see why there is such a fuss one way or the other.

M

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what you paid for that beauty, but it was worth every penny!!

That's a REAL Walther, and seems to be as nice as they get. I especially like that it has no import marks... a real find!!!

:)
$950.00? Only about $400.00 more than a new S&W PPK. Kalifornia pricing I guess.
She is stamped 'Made in West-Germany' under the magazine release button. I figure that is an import mark tastefully applied.
This is definitely one for the collection, not for self defense nor extensive range use. I wouldn't expect her to feed hollow-points for example. I'll probably run a couple hundred .380 FMJs in one or two range trips then clean her up and keep her oiled inside the safe with her older sister.

Russell

·
Registered
19 Posts
M,
How can one convert a German 9mmk or 7.65mm to .22? Can it be done without a Walther-made kit? I've been wondering for a while if it's possible.
Thanks,
Greenlisterine

I have one that used to be just like yours, less than 900 numbers higher, dated 1967. Its previous owner had, some reason, reblued the slide --maladroitly-- so its collector value was compromised. I judged it to be a pefect candidate for conversion to .22 LR, and fitted with those really neat pear-shaped Nill grips. It's now much more companionable, and makes you want to retch when you see a P22.

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
M,
How can one convert a German 9mmk or 7.65mm to .22? Can it be done without a Walther-made kit? I've been wondering for a while if it's possible.
Thanks,
Greenlisterine
The answer is no, and there is no Walther "kit" as such. Conversion requires finding a .22 barrel; .22 slide complete with .22 extractor, .22 firing pin, and safety (a .32 safety will work); a .22 holdopen/ejector and spring, and a .22 magazine. Proper functioning may require replacement of the hammer-drop release lever (or you can just leave it out for cocked-and-locked. It's a good idea to always put the safety on before decocking the hammer manually).

The Nill grips of course are optional.

M

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I have the same ppk like yours ser. # 115xxx dated 1967. Cost me $600 in brand new unfired condition. It was truly a bargain. Would not part with it for any amount of money.. enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What's so horrible about import marks?

M
If they don't bother you, my compliments. I have always preferred my Walthers "clean". Just like the ones made for the folks in Germany.

Some guys like blondes, others redheads ... all a matter of personal taste.
Like James Bond I prefer the "collars and cuffs to match", for me import marks are like Nicole Kidman in a black wig, still good looking but "wrong".

;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
import marks

I don't see why "made in west germany" is considered an import mark. I would think something like CIA IN VERMONT stamped on the frame would be much more objectional. I have a luger with "Germany" stamped on that came back with A GI at the end of WWII. Not a problem.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see why "made in west germany" is considered an import mark. I would think something like CIA IN VERMONT stamped on the frame would be much more objectional. I have a luger with "Germany" stamped on that came back with A GI at the end of WWII. Not a problem.
It's not objectionable. Nevertheless it indicates that the item was 'imported'. Most of my old German guns have no such stamps. How they escape being stamped is probably a function of when they were brought to the USA and under what circumstances. I have an Artillery Luger with British markings on the underside of the barrel indicating pressure testing.

Again, it is not objectionable in that it is part of the history of the gun.

Russell

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Parabellus,

I have a Mauser Broomhandle that is marked like your Artillery Luger. Pretty cool, but alot more discreet than a big "INTERARMS" or "SMITH & WESSON" smashed into the slide.

Again, its all a matter of taste.

PS, wasn't the "Made in West Germany" stamped on all Walthers?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No 'Made in..' stamps on either my PP nor P38. However they are definitely import marked.

Russell

·
Registered
529 Posts
Parabellus,

I have a Mauser Broomhandle that is marked like your Artillery Luger. Pretty cool, but alot more discreet than a big "INTERARMS" or "SMITH & WESSON" smashed into the slide.

Again, its all a matter of taste.

PS, wasn't the "Made in West Germany" stamped on all Walthers?
No, the Made in West Germany stamping was not on all Walther PPKs. The ones imported with the Eagle right side grip panel were not stamped that way. I have two of them in 9mmK, both 1968 of course. One has black grips and the other has brown grips. The grips are unique to only that importing year because of GCA 1968. Although they are not common because of only 1 year production, they are not worth a cent more than the more common plastic grips. I have replacement grips on both of mine, I don't like the eagle. What I do like is that neither pistol has any import markings on them, not even Made in West Germany. I have 3 others, a 22lr dural, a 7.65 dural, and a 7.65 standard frame, all 1967 and all stamped Made in West Germany. It's not that big a deal to me,but I do prefer totally pristine. I also like that none of mine cost me over $725.00 and a few considerably less.:)

I have to agree with the gent who said that the proof stampings from another government were part of that Luger's history. Very true.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Parabellus, your PPK is wonderful!!!!!!

Malysh, I bet those dural framed guns are really neat! Pictures perhaps? I'd love to see them.

I think that if S&W/Walther was to release a "dural" framed .380 with a stainless slide version of their current gun, it would be a H U G E seller.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mm6mm6,

She is pretty but she needs at least a new recoil spring I think. Failed to eject a few times catching the spent case in the eject port parallel to the barrel. Failed to return to battery a bunch of times besides. All this in about 24 rounds of WWB TMJ. May be in need of more or better lube and a little freeing up of the mechanism. Any suggestions?

Russell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts