Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in other threads, I bought a 1978 Ulm PPK in 9mm kurz NIB a few weeks ago, and had the chance to take it to the range yesterday. I found the recoil quite snappy, and the mag springs were quite strong (Good!). I shot one box of Monarch ammo. Lets just say I didn't do as well as the test target; (7 shots on the space of a half dollar at 15 m.) but had a lot of fun. I collect all type of auto pistols, and noticed on your forums that most people seem to prefer the 7.65 version, (I guess because of recoil, 007, and Herr Hitler) But the 9mm kurz has been around since 1933 (As I learned on this forum) so they thought it was a good idea from the beginning-Right? Honestly I would have a mint version of either, but since this is the PPK I ran across, I'll never know anything else as far as recoil. Cleaned thoroughly and put in the safe, I think I'll probably shoot another box through it in the next few months.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I frequently shoot and carry my mint 1980 Ulm/IA .380 PPK. I have a nice leather "Bulldog" pocket hostler that I soaked with Ballistol and my pistol has remained in excellent condition. Even though my intent is for it to be passed on within the family, I decided that like a watch, it will be more meaningful if used (and maintained.)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
While many members here first came to the PPK via Bond movies, I very much hope none of them like the PPK because of its purported association with the horrible herr hitler.

Fiction aside, the love for the .32 is based on its mild recoil and fine ergonomics. It’s also a very stylish pistol. I personally think a .22 PPK is the best of the breed as the .22 is such a wonderfully versatile cartridge.

While the .380 has always been more popular here in the U.S.A., I think that’s due to our natural proclivity for “big bores”. In the little Walther blowbacks for me the 9K is just over the threshold of fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
I frequently shoot and carry my mint 1980 Ulm/IA .380 PPK. I have a nice leather "Bulldog" pocket hostler that I soaked with Ballistol and my pistol has remained in excellent condition. Even though my intent is for it to be passed on within the family, I decided that like a watch, it will be more meaningful if used (and maintained.)

Your sentiments are entirely understandable, but I'd be judicious about carrying it. Is the charming odor of Ballistol an issue?

For the OP, yeah, the .380 iteration is rappy; my advice is always a bike glove for range duty. The opinion of the cognoscenti here in favor of the .32, and their smaller numbers in the US, has made the .32s scarce.
Moon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant Herr Hitler in the historical German war machine sense and the pistol that killed him. I don't think anyone in their right mind finds him an admiral figure.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a 68 ppk,380 and a 78 ppks in 380. Perfer the ppk and find it a fun pistol to shoot. Carry it in a Galco IWB. Very nice carry pistol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I gave the holster a good wet down on the inside and outside because I wanted to darken the leather and soften the inside of the holster. The Ballistol did soften the molding, but that was an advantage for me because I like being able to insert the pistol a little more to get the rear sight just in inside the holster where it seems more protected. I did not leave the pistol inside the holster while it was outside drying in the sun, but did so later overnight.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For carry, I now find myself now preferring my .380 PPK pistols (an Ulm/IA and a SS Ranger) over my .32 PPK (SW) pistol. Can't really explain it. Also thinking of trading my .32 PPK (S&W) against another .380 PPK (S&W) so I have the Ulm/IA, Ranger and a S&W all in the same caliber (380).

·
Registered
845 Posts
How I've always formed a leather holster perfectly to a gun is to oil & wipe down the pistol/revolver, put it in a zip-lock bag, soak the holster in water, insert the gun/baggie in the holster, let the leather dry for a couple of days with the gun/baggie in it, remove the gun & bag (open it up and wipe the gun down. Should still be bone dry), let the leather dry for a couple more days, then treat the leather.
Holster looks like it was made for the gun almost like a specially fitted Bianchi from long ago. Gun slides in and out like it was form fitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a PPKs.In trying to find the year it was manufactured. I was told to look at the chamber shown through the ejection port. There should be two letters visible. Mine shows HH and that would convert to 77 meaning 1977. Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I have a PPKs.In trying to find the year it was manufactured. I was told to look at the chamber shown through the ejection port. There should be two letters visible. Mine shows HH and that would convert to 77 meaning 1977. Is this correct?

Yup. Either there's a 12/68 (or whatever appropriate month and year) visible through the ejection port, or a eagle/n, two letters, antler sequence on the side. Post war German production anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts