Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Line
Hi All,

My first post in a LONG time was to be a rather joyous announcement of a recent P38 acquisition. I have been casually looking for one for a number of years, and found what I thought was a good addition at a newly-opened gun store a little distance from home.

Gun looked in good shape, no importer marks, compelling story - consignment piece from a local doctor who was the second owner, been sitting in a safe, part of a group of firearms this store had gotten from this person in the past.

Priced higher than I had planned, $1350, but the condition seemed to warrant that level, so it came home….

And found not a single serial number matches anything….

On the plus side (grasping here) it DID come with three mags, a period holster and it is made by Walther, with the AC 45 mfg code and year. So it will be a nice shooter, just not the find I was anticipating.

Feel free to LOL! Feelings won’t be hurt, and any item is worth the value one is willing to apply to it!

Don

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Congratulations on your new P.38. Non matching guns are the best ones. And even the non matching pistols are going up in price so I don't think you did too bad.

Are the three magazines wartime or post war? Can we see a photo of the holster?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your new P.38. Non matching guns are the best ones. And even the non matching pistols are going up in price so I don't think you did too bad.

Are the three magazines wartime or post war? Can we see a photo of the holster?
I am enjoying the piece, regardless of the Lego construction!

The mags are marked P38, and they -look-old enough, but who knows??

Rectangle Composite material Metal Auto part Titanium

Automotive tire Wood Vehicle door Font Automotive lighting

Brown Rectangle Wood Material property Font

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
The mags are marked P38, and they -look-old enough, but who knows??
Your magazine marked P38/U is a wartime magazine. If you could provide clear images of all the markings I can tell you more. The holster looks like it was for a different gun and had part of it cut off to fit a P.38.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your magazine marked P38/U is a wartime magazine. If you could provide clear images of all the markings I can tell you more. The holster looks like it was for a different gun and had part of it cut off to fit a P.38.
ROFL…. Yeah, I think you are right on the holster. I didnt show the back…..

Wood Revolver Gun accessory Metal Leather

Being a student of that era in Germany, I am mot aware of any steong commercial ties with China…

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a really nice late war AC45 mismatch. Nothing wrong with it. You over paid a bit but not by much. These were put together after the war for GI's from left over parts looking to take home a souvenir. In minty condition like yours they are considered a nice collectable. I'd love to add that to my collection of P-38's any time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a really nice late war AC45 mismatch. Nothing wrong with it. You over paid a bit but not by much. These were put together after the war for GI's from left over parts looking to take home a souvenir. In minty condition like yours they are considered a nice collectable. I'd love to add that to my collection of P-38's any time!
Thank you, Mauser!
The really interesting thing I am learning about post-war guns is the acceptance of mis-matched pieces….which kinda makes sense owing to the chaos in Europe at the time. Countries are demolished, governments destroyed, untold millions displaced, truly unimaginable horrors uncovered and coped with…. and here we are discussing the relative merits of a few stamped digits on hunks of metal…

Anyway, I am finding about the genres and sub-genres of these weapons - its all fascinating!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would like to see pics of the right side of the slide. I'm thinking there will only be one, maybe too proof marks as this parts pistol never saw final inspection. Your pistol is not easy to find anymore. They were only matched into the early "c" block suffix. Finished parts left over at the Walther Factory were put together by Factory works for a pack of cigarettes for GI's who captured the Factory in May of 1945.The last known examples went into the early "d" block and none were reported to have matching serial numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to see pics of the right side of the slide. I'm thinking there will only be one, maybe too proof marks as this parts pistol never saw final inspection. Your pistol is not easy to find anymore. They were only matched into the early "c" block suffix. Finished parts left over at the Walther Factory were put together by Factory works for a pack of cigarettes for GI's who captured the Factory in May of 1945.The last known examples went into the early "d" block and none were reported to have matching serial numbers.
As I recall,the right side of the pistol is pretty barren. Will bet updated pix posted tomorrow, now that I know what to concentrate on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are my updated images of my mis-matched P38. The only obvious proof mark I see is a VERY small stamp on the right rear of what appears to an eagle above a number that appears to be 359.

I have 3 parts numbers:
left slide: 4510 c ac 45
left side frame: 7584
beneath barrel: 6968 c

I am tremendously ejoying this thread! Thanks to all for sharing all of your info and insights!!

Don

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Brown Wood Grey Hardwood Plank

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fluid Currency Money

Motor vehicle Wood Font Handwriting Line

Table Outdoor bench Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire

Liquid Automotive tire Wood Circle Automotive wheel system

Wheel Eye Liquid Water Hood

Helmet Gas Nickel Machine Metal

Bumper Automotive exterior Material property Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice piece. I picked up a numbers matching P38 (AC42) with original style holster, and three mags ( not numbers matched ) in 85% condition for $775 Canadian last year. So $625 US. They've gone up, like everything, since then but rarely go much over a grand for special examples. That's the Canadian market though. It's cooled off due to the re-election of our gun banning Prime Minister.

They are making anymore. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice piece. I picked up a numbers matching P38 (AC42) with original style holster, and three mags ( not numbers matched ) in 85% condition for $775 Canadian last year. So $625 US. They've gone up, like everything, since then but rarely go much over a grand for special examples. That's the Canadian market though. It's cooled off due to the re-election of our gun banning Prime Minister.

They are making anymore. Enjoy it!
Thanks, Beezerchris,
I updated the images because a couple people were interested in the specifics -proof marks and so forth. Your deal sounds significantly more informed than mine, but I can’t wait to bust some caps in mine!

Yeah, sorry… you Canadians are a bunch of wimps. One mass shooting and your entire country collapses into a fetal position.

It takes guts and determination to shrug off countless mass shooting and school massacres. No changing the right to bear arms to protect the innocent for the US!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah that's real class. Insult my country and it's entire population. Thanks buddy.
Enjoy your life. I won't bother or help you again. Comments like yours feed into American stereotypes that are equally unfair.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah that's real class. Insult my country and it's entire population. Thanks buddy.
Enjoy your life. I won't bother or help you again. Comments like yours feed into American stereotypes that are equally unfair.
Oh…. By my ears and whiskers….

You think that a country with so many mass killings that they are now receiving only passing notice in the news has any claim to superiority over any other? ESPECIALLY one that takes these occurrances seriously enough to try to control the problem?

If that concern was not obvious in my intentionally flippant response, then I apologize. It was an INTENTIONAL satirization of American stereotypes -or that was the intent. If I failed, then you know why I just post on gun forums and not for Jon Stewart.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh…. By my ears and whiskers….

You think that a country with so many mass killings that they are now receiving only passing notice in the news has any claim to superiority over any other? ESPECIALLY one that takes these occurrances seriously enough to try to control the problem?

If that concern was not obvious in my intentionally flippant response, then I apologize. It was an INTENTIONAL satirization of American stereotypes -or that was the intent. If I failed, then you know why I just post on gun forums and not for Jon Stewart.
A note from the other side of the pond:
this forum also has members for whom English is not their first language. For such members, a contribution that is meant to be satirical in its intention is even more difficult to recognize and is taken even more literally and more seriously, which then inevitably throws a bad light on the author. Perhaps you will keep this in mind in your posts in the future, for example by using emojis. But you have now clarified the true, satirical intention of your contribution and at least for me everything is fine again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts