Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to clutter the PPQ sticky about weapon lights with this question. Everyone has their own personal opinions about weapon lights, laser/no laser, size, lumens, etc. With this said my personal preference is a weapon light that is sized small enough to not extend past the muzzle of my PPQ 9mm, and some what follows the shape and angles. The only weapon light or laser light combo that has met what I'm looking for is the Veridian CTL or C5L. However, after reading several reviews on here as well as other sites, I'm slightly hesistant to dish out the money for something that has a decent failure rate. I haven't ruled out the Veridian as I could use Amazon for the no hassle return, just wanting to see other options before the final purchase.

So has anyone seen or used something that is sized closely to the Veridians? I'm not biased toward light only or laser light combos, my only requirement is that it not extend past the end of my weapon.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Steam light TLR-4 is really the only other option I know of that small. But as far as lasers go I have the C5L I am on of the people with a not so great experience with Viridian. But the unit I have now is solid. I want to get a surefire but I am holding off until they make a green laser light combo and the price drops a bit. Right now lots of the laser/light co's are transitioning to the green laser, so If I were you I'd hold off a bit and see what's to come in the future, if you are dying to have one now Viridian is not bad if you get a good unit, which until my experience I haven't heard one bad thing about them. Keep checking laser max , crimsontrace, steamlight, surefire maybe you will find a unit you want.
As far as the TLR-4 goes I would really like to have one but I want a light with a strobe feature which it lacks and also the green laser.

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
I have a C5L mounted on my PPQFE. I've now put 360 rounds through the system with the C5 and have had no issues at all. In fact I even mounted a magnet on my Theis IWB holster to use the ECR feature.
My C5L does everything it is advertised to do. While 360 rounds isn't really a true test of reliability, I am getting more comfortable with it as my EDC (and it is sure neat to have the light and laser come on when I draw my weapon).

A few have had bad experiences with the Viridian. I think some of the issues (not all, mind you, some) might have been due to a weak battery which will cause the unit to not properly cycle through modes and fail to operate as it should.
Over all I'm satisified with the money spent.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The TLR-4 shouldn't extend beyond the muzzle, but it is a fairly "tall" light..

Welcome to the forums :)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Stand corrected, and that appears to be a .40 so a tad longer than the 9.

Curious what your personal concern is about it extending beyond muzzle? I prefer the same for cosmetic purposes, but I picked up a TLR-2 on impulse and works just dandy despite poking out a little :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you have the space for it, go with the x5l. Its much brighter, and the main thing the batteries can be had for decent prices. Anything that runs cr2's have less battery life and the batteries are more expensive.

Somewhat speaking from experience here as i have a C5L, X5L gen 2, and a surefire x300. If you want the best light, the x300 hands down. If you want the best of both worlds, get the x5l. If you have hardly any real estate to mount it then go with the subcompact designed lights.

I just really see no use for a tiny light on a borderline full size gun. Really if i could only pick one, it would be the x5l. The x300's light is no joke, but its a little much for sidearm applications. The c5l is great for a p2000sk or something tiny but for anything larger than that, you are really doing yourself a disservice by going with the c5l. Thats not to say its a bad light, just that it was designed for guns that have almost no rail real estate and compactness.

FWIW my c5l is back at viridian right now. After spending 30 bucks on batteries that kept going dead without use, i sent it in for warranty. It just drains itself while at rest. The X5l and x300's are still kickin ass.

I couldnt get over streamlights switch set up so i got rid of my tlr 1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the quick replies so far.

Steam light TLR-4 is really the only other option I know of that small. Right now lots of the laser/light co's are transitioning to the green laser, so If I were you I'd hold off a bit and see what's to come in the future
My LGS had mentioned that makers were starting to think about producing green laser combos which isn't a huge deal to me, but is still interesting. I haven't tested which laser is easier for me personally to see first.

As far as the TLR-4 goes I would really like to have one but I want a light with a strobe feature which it lacks and also the green laser.
So the TLR-4 doesn't have a strobe feature? :( I guess I should add that a strobe setting would be ideal (not a complete deal breaker).

Curious what your personal concern is about it extending beyond muzzle? I prefer the same for cosmetic purposes, but I picked up a TLR-2 on impulse and works just dandy despite poking out a little :D
Just pure cosmetic purposes really. I'm just one of those people that like shapes to flow nicely together. The Veridian follows the body lines to a T and I know that other brands won't do the same but I just wanted to get an idea what other compact systems were out there.

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
I haven't tested which laser is easier for me personally to see first.
Green light is in the center of the visible light spectrum and is easier to see.
I can easily see my C5L laser in bright South Florida noonday sun at SD ranges even on light colored objects.

Red lasers tend to fad, even at night it takes more visual acuity to see red then green laser light.

I look forward to your decision and thinking on it. Please send us some photos when you take the plunge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Viridian needs a better QC system. I got a bad C5L initially - it went out before I finished my first magazine (.45 USP). Sent it in to Viridian, got a new unit that's been rock solid. Put about a thousand rounds through the gun since with no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just pure cosmetic purposes really. I'm just one of those people that like shapes to flow nicely together. The Veridian follows the body lines to a T and I know that other brands won't do the same but I just wanted to get an idea what other compact systems were out there.
I'm the same way. I was able to find a Viridian X5L Gen1 at my LGS, and I tried it on. I thought it looked amazing. The bottom of it droops lower than the trigger guard, but it was otherwise flush. He was asking way more than I thought it was worth, or else I would've bought it and posted pictures of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone tried the new Crimson Trace weapon light?

Rail Master Universal Tactical Light | Official Crimson Trace Lasergrips

They are also going to be offering green & IR lasers soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would be interested to see this on someone's as well. I feel like Crimson would produce a better quality product (hopefully). I had just seen this pop up some where the other day, maybe optics planet, and couldn't find anything about it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Sharpdub00, I know it wasn't asked, but strongly consider the necessity of a strobe on a light attachment.

Your main purpose should be target identification, a 200 lumen light directed into the pupils of a would-be assailant will do that, and destroy their night vision.

A strobe does the same, while possibly altering your ability to identify your target.. and while I could be wrong, it may disorient you as well :D

I had the option, but chose the non-strobe TLR-2 for a reason.

Just something to consider, we all have our reasons, but $200-400 for a light that grabs onto your gun is significant anyway you spin it

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yeah, little weak compared to the competition, but pitch black to 100 lumens should still be effective.

Interesting how it locks in the rail, different than what I've seen.. XDm pic shows it well

Sharpdub00, also consider/keep in mind how the lights are activated or toggled, some are buttons, others have levers..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts