Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my second post of all time and I've got my flame suit on so flame me if I deserve it.

Here goes. I watched a YouTube of guy giving instructions on cleaning a P22. At one point he said to wash it, as in immersed and scrubbed, in a solution of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Afterwards, blow dry it with canned air or a compressor driven air nozzle.

My question is whether or not it is ok to wash the P22Q in Dawn or anything else that would strip all of the oil protection from it.

Thanks if you can keep the flames down low. I am pretty new and sort of clueless; so i feel it is better to get your expert opinions before I mess something up. Thanks!

Registered
Welcome Celt. We don't flame here. Well, the P22 and new PPK/S might get flamed by the steel PP crowd :p but we respect all of our members. I wash mine out with gunscrubber, carb cleaner, brake cleaner. Tough little sucker, none of that hurts anything and Dawn certainly won't. My son washes our truck radios in the dishwasher. :eek: But, danged it that doesn't get all of the dust particles off of the circuit board, cleans the CD slot, etc. As he reminds me, "there aren't any tubes in these old man". Is he flaming me? :mad::) I can't imagine Dawn hurting anything but it might be a little difficult to blow all of the water out of areas like the hammer pin which is recessed pretty tight into the side of the frame. I'd remove the slide and make sure the top of the breech block, all of the lockworks, etc. were really blown dry then lubricate. I prefer products made for the job....but you aren't going to ruin anything. M1911

Compressor, can of air isn't enough. If you don't have a compressor.....you need one. Your right front tire on the 911 turbo is a little low as we correspond. Where are you in the beautiful Valley. Son was in Winchester, VA, now in Harpers Ferry. Beautiful country.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi 1911,

Thanks for the quick response. I put my fire suit away.

I think I might try the spare tire on the Jeep and see if it will work as well as a 911 or maybe just use the air pump at the Sheetz station. We'll see. I have only put three hundred break-in rounds thru it so far, 200 CCI 40 grain Mini-Mags and 100 40 grain CCI Velocitors, so it is still really clean. There were only three small specs that I could see inside the grip, so I wiped them out with a freshly laundered and repurposed white Tee Shirt. I got the specs out and wiped the rest inside and out, getting only only faint gray residue in a couple of places.

We live in the northern part of the Shenandoah, just around the bend from the VA Medical Center on the Martinsburg - Kearneysburg, WV line, so I know Winchester and Harper's Ferry well. Beautiful country it is.

Thanks again for the Words of Wisdom!

Registered
I bought a few cans of Starrett M1 all purpose oil. Its almost equivalent to WD-40. The cans I bought have wee hoses that plug into the nozzles. If there are tight spots or stuff that's gunked on quite well, I'll give it the beans with some of that and it usually always breaks it loose. Then hit it with the compresser. Gets that crapola outta there with great results.

Dish soap, specifically Dawn, has awesome degreasing properties, while NOT being destructive. 1911 gave great advice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BornFighting88,

Thanks for the tip. I see Wholesale Tool has it for under $7. I will get some.

Registered
Celt,

Sure thing, man. Its obviously also a lubricating oil. So if you can't reach that same tight spot with gun oil, the M1 will suffice.

Usually those tight spots don't house mechanically-important parts for operation of the pistol, but the gunk should be removed and the area lubed nonetheless.

Glad we could help. You'll be just fine here at WaltherForums, bud. Never be afraid to ask anything here. Only thing I can tell you is, DO be afraid to admit buying and then subsequently selling a P1\P38. That's like treason here. Haha.

Registered
I tried a powder blast cleaner on my wife's pink tiger stripped P22. It started taking a little of the black, and titanium gray color off. I think the gun is a pink pollymer and has black and grey paint sprayed over the top of it.

So from now on its going to get a Dawn and Hot water bath followed up by a liberal oiling. No more solvent going to be getting on the polly housing any way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbooker82,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good information for the rest of us.

Registered
I tried a powder blast cleaner on my wife's pink tiger stripped P22. It started taking a little of the black, and titanium gray color off. I think the gun is a pink pollymer and has black and grey paint sprayed over the top of it.

So from now on its going to get a Dawn and Hot water bath followed up by a liberal oiling. No more solvent going to be getting on the polly housing any way.
That is interesting jbooker. I've not run into anything that affects the finish or polymer grip. Gunscrubber does make a polymer safe product as well as the regular. Just about anything recommends testing first in an inconspicuous place. Good advice. Gunscrubber will take the finish off a 10/22 immediately, melt the plastic grips on on MKIII pistols immediately also. Heat will also dry out a pistol and most tight spots if you use water.

I'd be interested to hear what MGMike might recommend regarding Dawn or water products in general. M1911

Registered
I didn't really notice it melting and getting sticky but I did see where a few black flakes came off. I just noticed it in my hands. The gun cleaner I was using was called Powder Blaster. It is made by the same company that makes CLP Break Free.

You probably wont ever have that issue with one that is a single color because that should just be colored polymer clear though. They cant really do a black and pink tiger striped gun out of solid polymer. I am pretty sure its pink polymer with black sprayed on stripes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts