Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been looking at the P99AS in 9MM and had myself convinced that I HAD to have one to pair with my PPK. :D
Went to my local dealer and he called the wholesaler to check price and availability. They had plenty and the price....holy moley....$679!!! That is LIST price!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Dealer said there had been a recent price hike at all the wholesalers. I said I'd get back to him about it and eased out of the store.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The P99's seemed to be getting scarce when I started looking for one a couple of months back. Initially they were going on the internet sites for $350 to $450, When I bought mine I thought I had paid a bit high for it at just over $500.

Mine turned out to be a Euro P99 from Earl's and I couldn't be happier! I have shot about 300 rounds through it and it has become one of my favorites. I still haven't mastered the trigger, but that's what fun about it.

Recently, I changed the front site from #4 to #5 in hope of getting it to shoot a tad lower so I can get the "dead on" POI if prefer. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet with the change.

The P99 is not a blue steel and walnut beauty, but it has a charm to it the Glocks don't have. The P99 is more sculpted and thoughtful than the indestructable, da*m near perfect Glocks....and I'am glad!!!

If you can't find one on the Net, go ahead and order one.....I don't think you'll be sorry. Heck, I want one of the new PPS models ... and I have always professed to hate "tactical tupperware" ....say, this is becoming a pretty slippery slope, soon I may be posting on the Glock site!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
153: You're right. Today I'm going back to place the order. I checked around and every one I found advertised for $530 was also out of stock. I've had a bunch of Glocks in the past, carried a Glock 19 for a while as a duty weapon. I never liked the "mushy" trigger on them, and while "combat accuracy" was adequate, it certainly was no tack driver. My S&W Model 4566 and 6906 were much more accurate.The last gun I carried before I retired was the 4566. Sure wish I would have kept that gun!!!! :(

I was never that big a fan of plastic frames or 9MM, but I can make an exception for the P99 :D
Do you carry yours for personal defense or as a duty weapon? What ammo do you use (not counting FMJ)? I am not a big fan of +P, so most likely I will use Rem Golden Sabre, the Winchester LEO Ranger T-load (same as the old Black Talon) or Federal Hydra Shoks.
I'll be looking to you for advice on other stuff on the P99, so be ready for questions ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Dep,

Thanks for the confidence you place in my opinion!

My last "duty gun" was a S&W 15, the badge said "PatrolMAN", so you can tell it's been awhile since I was on that thin line of blue. So I'm sure you practical, tactical and overall expierence level far exceeds mine.

My favorite 9m/m has always been the Winchester "Silvertip" 115 Grain. It functions well in my P226 and 92 Beretta, I have not tried them in the Walther yet. I am one of those indivudals who prize reliability in a firearm above all else, and would rather have my weapon go "bang, bang, bang" than "bang, click". I believe in Murphy's Law of the Universe and "old Murph" and I are well aquainted.

I have found some of the discounted old calibers like .44 special, .38 special and 9m/m are pretty potent, despite the fact that they are decried as "pea shooters". I don't think I would want anyone shooting at me with those calibers at 15 yards or less. I can keep my groups in the black on a 25 yard target (at 15 yards) very consistantly and unless I am shooting at something clothed in body armour figure FMC will do just fine.

I would accept that I am completely wrong in the above view.

I don't really carry a firearm much as my daily routine is pretty much a well-trodden five mile circle, when I do venture out "heeled" it's something very discreet like a Seecamp 32.

Aside from my cop time, I have had alot of time/expierence with the criminal justice/ court system (on the right side!) and long ago came to the conclusion that I NEVER wanted to be on the wrong side of the law. So no matter how dumb and misguided the Laws may be I do obey them, and do my absolute best not to run afoul of Madame Justice. I just hope to one day live in a free (right to carry state) state .... hopefully that day is not to far away!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
153: LOL...you sound like my clone :D

Well I went back and placed my order for the P99. Will be here tomorrow. Get ready for this...the price went up OVERNIGHT!!!! The wholesalers raised all prices by 8%. Luckily my dealer is a good guy and gave me the price he got yesterday. Total price with tax was $729.38 :eek: I wonder WTF is going on with gun prices????? I also found out that LEAD took a major price hike. Reloaders are gonna freak when they hear the new prices.

I also place reliability high above other priorities. I am mainly a .45ACP/1911A1 man and have a wide variety of those pistols. And I also have a good-sized collection of Model 629 .44 mag revolvers. Right now my go-to gun is a Charter Arms .44 Special. But that will probably change soon. The 9MM didn't really impress me until the advent of the "special" bullets that would expand without the need of +P loadings.
I took the CCW course and passed it at the beginning of this year. I used a S&W 1911 in a Fobus holster. Worked great!!! But the dang hot summers out here make it tough to carry concealed because I only wear t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. Fortunately, crime isn't all that bad in my town, although lately there has been a couple of robberies of firearms. I will probably go with a Fobus holster for the P99 too.

Dep

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
After reading the start of this thread yesterday, I went online and took a look at the prices on GunsAmerica. Sure enough, the P99 has become a hot ticket item of late. It ought to make us all smile a bit, provided we already own a P99 ... or two, or three.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading the start of this thread yesterday, I went online and took a look at the prices on GunsAmerica. Sure enough, the P99 has become a hot ticket item of late. It ought to make us all smile a bit, provided we already own a P99 ... or two, or three.
Whew!!!! Thanks for the confirmation. I would have pooped all over myself if I found out they were still going for cheap!!! :p
They also seem to be getting more difficult to find. I checked gunbroker.com and there aren't a lot of them for sale. Ditto for other major online sources.

Dep

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
It sure is interesting that the P99 has taken off recently. Its hard to put a reason to it - except it may have had something to do with the 2004 redesign - making the original design a bit more,desireable, ie - if it's discontinued it has to be better!

It could alot be alot of people, myself included who resisted the plastic guns have found something in the Walther design that is a cut above the Glocks and XD Springfields. I had been trying not to want a P99 for about a year, then I checked our Kalifornia Stadt website to see if it was "approved" and found that the approval for the original model is set to expire in Decembre (December in the rest of the USA). I figured it was now or never and started looking.

The P99 has suprised me with its absolute reliability. I like a handgun that is a challenge to shoot - it makes me have to concentrate more on the basics - and the P99 is that! But I love the "double action" which I find safer than other designs with the one pull system. I am still getting used to the trigger and the handle, and once I get started shooting it - it's hard to put away.

I purchased a case of 9m/m Blaser today, knowing the prices are about to go up - and was thinking of the Walther the whole time. I don't know how many rounds have been pushed down this babies throat before I got it, but I don't plan on holding back!

I think using the P99 for hunting would be the ultimate test. I know folks have hunted the Javalina with P35's and 1911's - I would like to see how the P99 would work out!

Oh and Dep, you proved the "clone" theory - prices always go up the day before I buy something ...It's just a tweak from Murphy on his more benevolent days.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Waiting to hear your evaulation....

Just stay away from the posts/pictures regarding the PPS!!!

The black ones are looking awful good, may have to get a CCW after all. :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got it today about 3:45PM. It's just...beautiful :D
Compared to a Glock, the Walther seems MUCH more balanced in the hand.
I LIKE that AS trigger a LOT. I think I will have much better accuracy with it than the Glock. I was a bit concerned about what solvents to use to clean it since I had seen posts with warnings about using harsh solvents on some Walther pistols with plastic frames. But to my pleasant surprise, Walther recommends my favorite smelling solvent....Hoppe's #9. :D
Came with two hi-cap mags. I'll have to order 4 more. Gun seems much smaller than it does in the pictures, but it sure fits the hand perfectly. Only thing I will have to get used to is the mag release. I am used to pushbuttons.
I may get out to the range tomorrow. Gotta hit Wallyworld and pick up some FMJ to test it with. Got a ton of stuff I have to order for it but can't do that till I get back from vacation. Leaving for Vegas next Monday. So far I am very happy with my purchase. It wasn't cheap, but I think it was worth the money. Oh yeah...the decocker is VERY :cool:

Dep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts