Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
... If it hast the WaA, it definitely wouldnt be in the RSHA range.

Frankly, wouldn't want an SS example. I have great respect for the German soldier, if not his cause. The RSHA, not at all. I wouldn't care to ask it "where have you been?"

Moon

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As regards grips, Jimbo, thanks, let me know what you dig out.
I may go with Vintage Gun Grips samples, and am debating what color to order; most here seem to be an orangish color, tho' the originals have more of a grey cast.
I agree MecGars are a great solution for the magazine; have some bright examples from the Ranger guns, but no blued ones.

Moon

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Those Vintage grips sound okay but I wonder what orange-brown actually looks like? My ‘36’s cracked grip is significant so a replacement is needed. There was a guy at 3-D printing them and selling on eBay, but he apparently stopped.

I use blued and nickel mags, Interarms, WWII, and post-war Yuro interchangeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gonzo', check out Vintage Gun Grips, (the KKK magazine people own them); they show samples of the grip colors, and a cursory search gave them ok reviews.
The sample shown reminds me very much of other guns I've seen here. The grips on mine have more of a grayish tone with something else mixed in.
The price was forty-something, including a grip screw and shipping. At that price, I'll give them a try.
Moon

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Also, do I recall references to replica brown grips, either one or two piece?
When I got my ZM PPK the original grips were cracked so I replaced them with a set of postwar grips. Those are probably from the sixties, solid brown, and two piece. They fit perfectly and look great.

The replicas I have were made by Franzite, again probably in the fifties or sixties. Those have a color that matches the ZM grips better and are one piece. However, they need to be fit and have an oversize hole where the escutcheon goes which would need to be secured with some epoxy.

In my picture they are from left to right : ZM, Ulm/Manurhin, Franzite.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congratulations on your "new acquisition" ,good luck in your search for grips you like . As far as the branch of the military it was issued to it doesn't matter ,the pistole was just a tool and is in no way responsible for what was done with it by it's operator who may have also been a "tool" . The pistole is an inanimate object incapable of completing it's intended purpose and design function without first being manipulated by a willing participant who bears all the blame and or responsibility for the outcome ,not the pistole . Good luck with your new friend may you be as diligent as your predecessor was in it's hygiene . Ayb

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Gonzo', check out Vintage Gun Grips, (the KKK magazine people own them); they show samples of the grip colors, and a cursory search gave them ok reviews.
The sample shown reminds me very much of other guns I've seen here. The grips on mine have more of a grayish tone with something else mixed in.
The price was forty-something, including a grip screw and shipping. At that price, I'll give them a try.
Moon
I did check out the site. I didn’t see 40-something, I see black with screws for 71. That puts it in the Turkish walnut range.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gonzo', you must be in the wrong spot; checked my receipt, and mine is $42.50, with the $9 shipping included. They are two piece, which is no big deal for what I want. I'll see what shows up.

Redcat, nice looking grips, and thanks.

'Bob, concur to a degree, but would still rather not have a gun that was possessed by a sonafa*****. Just bad juju, kinda like the Hitler Walther or the Lincoln Derringer.
Moon

·
Registered
789 Posts
Gonzo', you must be in the wrong spot; checked my receipt, and mine is $42.50, with the $9 shipping included. They are two piece, which is no big deal for what I want. I'll see what shows up.

Redcat, nice looking grips, and thanks.

'Bob, concur to a degree, but would still rather not have a gun that was possessed by a sonafa*****. Just bad juju, kinda like the Hitler Walther or the Lincoln Derringer.
Moon

Perhaps your PPK was used by the sonafa**** in the Belgrade '41 massacre.

"On April 21-22, 1941, German Wehrmacht photographer Gerhard Gronefeld photographed what he regarded as the “most terrible scene, which I photographed ever.” This scene was the mass hanging and mass shooting of Serbian civilians by the German Army in Pancevo, a city in Vojvodina northeast of Belgrade. Thirty-six Serbian civilians were rounded up at random and executed by German occupation forces, the Gross Deutschland Regiment under Oberstleutnant Wilhelm-Hunert von Stockhausen, following the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia on April 6, 1941."

Google "wehrmacht shooting civilians" and open your eyes.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Poloberst, not meaning to argue here. At least my particular pistol escaped from your cited example, but ugly stuff does happen in war. William Calley was court-martialed for such things; HueyCobra drivers, not so much. The damnation can be spread much further; .455 Webleys (and SMLEs) had a bad rep with my Irish forebears. Krags may not be well liked in the Philippines. Lancasters are still hated in Dresden. But 'Bob is right; it's truly not the tools' fault.

The RSHA does get a prize for the SOB thing tho'...they were the tip of the spear for Nazi evil.
Gonzo', looks like you were correct about price. Had a call, and I had the order bodged up.
Mike, handsome grips, but all the wood PP grips I have ever handled just lost that great Walther feel....they're just too big. Apparently wood can't be made as thin as plastic.
Moon

·
Registered
789 Posts
Poloberst, not meaning to argue here. At least my particular pistol escaped from your cited example, but ugly stuff does happen in war. William Calley was court-martialed for such things; HueyCobra drivers, not so much. The damnation can be spread much further; .455 Webleys (and SMLEs) had a bad rep with my Irish forebears. Krags may not be well liked in the Philippines. Lancasters are still hated in Dresden. But 'Bob is right; it's truly not the tools' fault.

The RSHA does get a prize for the SOB thing tho'...they were the tip of the spear for Nazi evil.
Gonzo', looks like you were correct about price. Had a call, and I had the order bodged up.
Mike, handsome grips, but all the wood PP grips I have ever handled just lost that great Walther feel....they're just too big. Apparently wood can't be made as thin as plastic.
Moon

Not arguing, but discussing history. The RSHA included the Gestapo, the Kripo, the Gemeinde Kripo (small town detectives) and the SD. There were bad eggs in the Kripo, but the Brits vetted them after the war and took them back into detective service in their zone. Even used their Kripo discs though properly de-nazified. There were professional cops in the RSHA as there were professional solders in the Wehrmacht.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
My 1940 PPK is correctly marked and falls in the correct range to be an RSHA purchased pistol. But Stepan’s book does not include its inventory card so I do not know who may have used it. But it’s apparent lineage does not persuade me to get rid of it; I don’t blame the tool, rather the person who used it.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
... Even used their Kripo discs though properly de-nazified. There were professional cops in the RSHA as there were professional solders in the Wehrmacht.
By equal measure, I'm certain the Germans used French policemen in the Vichy government. Bureaucrats and sworn officers have their use in keeping the peace and in civil administration.
In any case, happy to have the PPK. I've a prewar Luger and a '43 P38 too, tho' the Luger does freak out my daughter.
Moon

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Not arguing, but discussing history. The RSHA included the Gestapo, the Kripo, the Gemeinde Kripo (small town detectives) and the SD. There were bad eggs in the Kripo, but the Brits vetted them after the war and took them back into detective service in their zone. Even used their Kripo discs though properly de-nazified. There were professional cops in the RSHA as there were professional solders in the Wehrmacht.
The same could be said about the Schupo (Schutzpolizei, or uniformed police).

Interestingly, to me at least, in my collection is a British-contracted S&W Victory revolver that was issued to a police department in the British Zone, probably Lüneburg in Lower Saxony. I’m guessing it was carried by a Schupo, concealing a 5” .38 revolver under a suit coat would be more difficult than, say, an Astra 300 or MAB Modele D.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
BTW, on a tangent, The Man in the High Castle is an alternative history story in which the Axis wins WWII. With no small irony, J. Edgar Hoover is shown high in the Nazi administration, doing what he did in our FBI without missing a beat.
I don't want to speculate on how any of us would act, given an offer we couldn't refuse.
Moon

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
sjb', thank you, wish I'd seen this earlier this week. Those look great.
Moon

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well, the grips from Triple K showed up, and they are pretty nice. They fit without drama and the finish is fine, save for an odd spot on the joint.
The grip screw was too short to use, and I had to drill for the one escutcheon.
The really maddening thing was finding my old pair of PPK grips from some gun or another. I could have used those; I'm just saving the originals, which are in good shape.
Everything seems to work smoothly, and the internal parts all look good. Somebody was grinding on the trigger bar, but doesn't seem to have done any harm.
It will get a range date soon, and see some shooting.

Moon

·
Registered
789 Posts
BTW, on a tangent, The Man in the High Castle is an alternative history story in which the Axis wins WWII. With no small irony, J. Edgar Hoover is shown high in the Nazi administration, doing what he did in our FBI without missing a beat.
I don't want to speculate on how any of us would act, given an offer we couldn't refuse.
Moon
Interesting that the book finally made it. I read the first paperback perhaps 50+ years and thought it boring, like another make believe history book written at the same time: If the South had won the Civil War by an historian named Kantor. I doubt if that will make it to the silver screen, or Netflix, ad nauseum.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts