Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a huge fan of wartime guns, but a PPK at a local shop caught my eye.
Serial number is 386616K, and it does bear a waffenampt.

Finish started life as polished, and it retains perhaps 90%, tho' it is thinning in places. No pits or rust.

Grips are brown plastic two piece, which I suspect it incorrect, tho' they are in good shape.
Magazine is an aftermarket, and won't engage the slidestop.
Bore appears to be very good/excellent; it is a .32.
It has a lanyard loop.
Asking is $849; it's consignment from an employee at the shop.
Just like Lugers, such things are a mystery to me as regards value.
Advice welcome.
Moon
ETA- If I end up not pursuing it, I'll post its location.
M

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Acc. to it's serial number probably made in 1945, one of the last made in Zella/Mehlis. Finish should be rough military, not polished. Refinished? Grips are not time correct.
Check ejector by hand to engage slide stop! Normally an aftermarket mag should work properly.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Acc. to it's serial number probably made in 1945, one of the last made in Zella/Mehlis. Finish should be rough military, not polished. ...
It's not a PP; it's a PPK.

Made late 1942. If the finish is original, it's probably among the last to be polished before Walther transitioned to military finish.

M

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You are right, Mike! Probably made in 1942...

Imo 'dull' military finish as well. But we've never seen any pic. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aftermarket mags and grips are a very good negotiating point.
Jimbo, what sort of number would seem reasonable?
I will find out what a proper mag would cost.
Thanks all,
Moon

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Take a look at completed GB auctions and compare to the gun you're looking at. Prices are depressed right now which is another good negotiating point. Period grips and mags can cost a bundle and take hundreds off of the value.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jimbo, I'll have a look at Gunbroker, as well as correct magazines there. And I do want to field strip it, and just check general mechanical function. Not something I set out to find, but wouldn't mind having it.
Moon

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Moon,

My last PPK purchase was 18 months ago, a 1936 commercial 90° safety and no signal pin, original one piece grip ( I later found a crack) and an original flat bottom magazine. I gladly paid $700 in a C&R purchase. If it is a clean as you say and given the unoriginal grips and mismatched magazine I myself would try for a lower price, no more than $700 out the door. Its biggest negative is the grip, period Bakelite can run upwards of $300.

-Gonzo

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... Its biggest negative is the grip, period Bakelite can run upwards of $300.
If and when you find one, it will be shrunken, won't fit, and is either cracked or about to crack.

If you intend to shoot it, spend about half that money instead for a one-piece pear-shaped Nill grip in stippled walnut. You'll be a happier man.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, I'll likely live with the grips if I get the gun; have some really handsome checkered walnut in my junk box, and never liked the feel.
The mag is another matter; they are all over the landscape, price wise, tho' I'll check with a local guy.
Examples of the gun itself are also scattered, price wise, on Gunbroker. My C&R should answer for the transfer, so that should save some money.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, wheedled the guy down to $775, and the PPK followed me home.
The good news; the grips are indeed original. There is a slight crack by the beavertail, and there is some warpage, but they are intact.

Couple questions; anyone with a clue to whom pistols in this range were issued?
Anyone with a source for brown plastic grips? It's my intention to pull the originals.
Finally, a source for period appropriate magazines? Realize that may be a challenge, and I will check on some blued MecGars.

Thanks all,
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Martin, presumed that the waffenampt meant just that...;), only wondered who in the army might be issued such a small sidearm. Understand it's not in the SS range.
BTW, somebody cared about this thing; it shows scuffs on the frame of being fired, but from the days of corrosive primers, the bore is a mirror.
Moon

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Okay, wheedled the guy down to $775, and the PPK followed me home.
The good news; the grips are indeed original. There is a slight crack by the beavertail, and there is some warpage, but they are intact.

Anyone with a source for brown plastic grips? It's my intention to pull the originals.
You might be just as well off buying wood. Maybe not the Niils Mike mentioned, but Hogue makes some that don’t suck, I have a set or two. And there’s a set on eBay right now with a nice fish scale checkering that are $70 shipped from Turkey.

Cant go wrong with Mac-Gar PPK mags.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You might be just as well off buying wood. Maybe not the Niils Mike mentioned, but Hogue makes some that don’t suck, I have a set or two. And there’s a set on eBay right now with a nice fish scale checkering that are $70 shipped from Turkey.
I recently put a pair of fish scale grips like you are probably describing on my 1932 PPK and stashed the originals (pristine). Very happy with the quality and perfect fit of that product at that price. Here is what I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walther-PPK-German-made-Walnut-grip/163145684964?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I also just put a set of G4U checkered walnut grips on the Beretta 81BB. Perfection :D

I will post photos of each, assuming that I ever get my s&@# together and port my photos over to imgur.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll settle for b-flat plastic; too pretty a grips will take away from an historical gun, and I don't care for the feel.
Sooooo, easy source for ordinary grips, other than Earl's? Found some places online, but happy for a reference.
Also, do I recall references to replica brown grips, either one or two piece?
Plan to take it to the range tomorrow, and pop at least a few rounds.
Moon

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have the KSD fish scales on my .22. Perfect fit and feel for post war guns and a better fit than G4Us.

Moon when I get a minute I'll dig through the parts box. I may have a spare black 2 piece grip that I bought on eBay for the E/C still in there. That gun is more or less retired and I have other sets I can use if needed. They're not brown but at least you can shoot the pistol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Martin, presumed that the waffenampt meant just that...;), only wondered who in the army might be issued such a small sidearm. Understand it's not in the SS range.
BTW, somebody cared about this thing; it shows scuffs on the frame of being fired, but from the days of corrosive primers, the bore is a mirror.
Moon
Army was probably the same situation as the police is distributing 7,65mm pistols: senior NCOs and those in rear areas. If it hast the WaA, it definitely wouldnt be in the RSHA range.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts