Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new user here. Apologies if this issue has already been covered, I ran a search and checked the FAQs.

I inherited a Mauser byf44 bring back P38 from my dad - it has been untouched for 20+ years and never fired (at least on US soil) to my knowledge. It's in great condition with matching serials. I recently took it out and watched a few videos on operation and maintenance with the intention of breaking it down and cleaning it.

While familiarizing myself I flipped the safety from fire to safe, which took a bit of effort. Now the safety seems to be stuck hard and won't return to fire position, even with substantial force applied, which prevents the slide from being removed.

Given the amount of time the gun was stored, it's probably a good candidate for a gunsmith exam anyway, but - has anyone ever run into this issue, and is there a simple fix I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would get a walther-competent gunsmith to check it out, could be a broken safety barrel, wedged dirt, maybe internal rust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you retract the slide and lock it open?

Yes, the safety still won't budge with the slide in that position.

I was finally able to remove the slide by following this guide. On previous attempts I hadn't removed the magazine, and was also misled by another post stating that the slide couldn't be removed unless the safety was off.

With the slide removed, I may be able to disassemble its components further and figure out the issue with the safety, but I'll be taking it to a gunsmith either way for a complete check.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Yes, the safety still won't budge with the slide in that position.

If the safety won't turn with the slide open (and thus clear of the levers in the frame) I'd suspect a broken firing pin or fractured safety drum.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts