Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried and had any success with taking out the warps in the brown one piece grips on an old PPK? I have repaired a few plastic items using a heat gun before but do not want to ruin a perfect set of grips that are just slightly warped at the top. Also what do most use to highlight the walther markings and S/N's in white on some of the pistols I have seen here? Thanks for any information, TJ ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
highlighting the letters and serial number on a firearm i have always used a laquer stick, got it from Brownells many yrs. ago, they can be found in a lot of hobby shops too in various colors.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It seems to me that there was some discussion of the topic of repairing warped grips on the P.38 Forum awhile back; you might want to drop in over there and run a search on the topic.

OK, three minutes later and I just checked and did find the thread, but I can't get the specific link to it, for some reason. So go here ...

http://p38forum.com/

... and then run a search on PPK warped grip repair. you might just find something that will help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Highlights

highlighting the letters and serial number on a firearm i have always used a laquer stick, got it from Brownells many yrs. ago, they can be found in a lot of hobby shops too in various colors.
Thanks, Me109G4 ( I am probably one of the few who know what your handle is and what it refers to.) ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reference link

It seems to me that there was some discussion of the topic of repairing warped grips on the P.38 Forum awhile back; you might want to drop in over there and run a search on the topic.

OK, three minutes later and I just checked and did find the thread, but I can't get the specific link to it, for some reason. So go here ...

http://p38forum.com/

... and then run a search on PPK warped grip repair. you might just find something that will help.
Thanks as usual searcher451, You always come through. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
warped grip repair

Thanks as usual searcher451, You always come through. :D
Thanks again Searcher 451, Found the thread on repairing the grips. Just as I thought, A very careful use of a heat gun and clamping in a wooden form, both inside and outside will take care of the warped grips. Just have to be careful about the heat. I have done this on fiberglass fuselages for my model airplanes with good results in the past. TJ ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Handle for Me109G4

Me109G4 must be an airplane nut as I am. There were very many Variants of the Me109 or Bf109 as some call them. Many people do not know what a Me or Bf 109 is. And Most German Pilots carried the PPK or PP. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warped Grips

Took pictures of the fixtures and the finished product tonight. Will try and post pictures of both tomorrow (SUN) if I can figure out how! Very good results on grips. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warped grip repair

Had very good results with this method. Made wood fixtures from Maple but you can use Poplar,White Pine or any close grain wood that you might have around the shop. The little clamps that I used are available from Lowe's, Sears or you may find some similar at Harbor Freight. You can also use C-clamps also, just have to be careful not to put too much pressure on the Grip. After inserting the center fixture, clamp the outer wood fixtures on the grips being careful to not put too much pressure on them at this time so as to not damage the grip. The heat gun I used to heat the plastic is one made for shrinking the covering material for model airplanes but you can use just about any heat gun you have, just be very careful as it is easy to melt the plastic. You do not have to get the plastic very hot at all, just warm it up and very gently apply a little more pressure to the clamps until the grip looks straight like it should. I let mine sit all night to cool off and the next day when I took the clamps off I was very pleased to see that the grips were now straight and fit like they should. I hope the pictures come out OK and that this helps you guys and gals straighten out your grips. TJ.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts