Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, not sure what the full implications of this are but I wanted to share some info I came upon while trying to get some repair work done on a faulty Steyr M40.

Apparrently, Steyr is out of business (maybe just their importers? Not sure by the story I got i Steyr itself is out of business). Granted, I don't have the full story but needless to say I am glad that my Steyr situation is taken care of. I no longer have the gun so any of you that do have one (or anythign else from them that has warranty coverage on it) you really should look into this pronto!

The short story is that I bought a Steyr M40 in December of 2003. On the first day I took it to the range the gun jammed on the 3rd round of the first mag and the action was "locked" shut. You could not open the action or move the slide at all. There was a live round stuck in the chamber! The only thing I could do was remove the slide assembly from the frame and (carefully) take it back to the Gander Mountain store where I purchased it. The smith looked at it, he ended up having to use a punch tool to kinda pry and force the action open. He test fired a few rounds through it and said it should be okay. Well, over the next few months I started testing various rounds in the gun to see if maybe it was the Winchester white box that did it (though I have to admit, I have never seen a gun become locked shut with a jam, ever, but I just wanted to do some testing to satisfy my own curiosity). Anyway, the gun did jam and lock no matter what I loaded it with (speer, blazer, federal, hydra shoks, white box, american eagle) at various and sporradic frequencies (requiring the use of a punch tool to kinda pry the action open). So finally, with all of my test data in hand I took it back to Gander Mountain once again. The smith took it for a few days, looked at it and called me and left a message stating he could not reproduce the issue and to come pick the firearm up.

Now, I know the guy did not test as many rounds as I did, and sometimes the gun could go 100+ round before it did this. The issue is, no matter what, a firearm should not jam to the point to where it requires a punch or any other tool to force the action open. This just wasn't a safe gun and something was wrong.

So when I went in to the store I saw the guy that normally sells me my guns there. When I told him I was there to pick up the gun he told me "no way, that's not right, let me get this worked out for you". So he got a manager and they agreed to copy my documentation and send it all to Steyr for replacement of the gun.

When they contatced Steyr, the Steyr rep told them that they closed their doors and went out of busniess last week. So, no warranty work or anything.

The good thing is that Gander Mountain (the one by Century III Mall for those of you in the Pittsburgh, Pa area) took real good care of me. They gave me a new gun of my choice (within reason) so I got an IMI Baby Eagle, an extra mag and some ammo.

I'll throw some pics up later today maybe.

Anyway, if you have a Steyr, you might want to look into this further and see if the importers are closing down, if Steyr really is out of busniess or what. I'd hate to see anyone left holding their nuts if one of their Steyr guns under warranty breaks and they need it fixed.

Take care.

P.S. Maybe one of the MODs can sticky this or something until we find out what the deal is? Would be nice so no one misses it and gets screwed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Diamond Trail (an authorized Steyr service center) sttes that everyhting is okay. I don't know what's going on. Why would Gander Mountain give me a higher priced gun if they could have sent it to be fixed? This sounds nuts. Anyway, I guess just keep your eyes and ears peeled. If Steyr stays around I'd buy another M series, it was a good gun but mine was just a bad sample (every company has a lemon or 2 hehe).

Still love my Walther. =)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the good info. I'm considering to take the CDNN's deal of a S9, that's a great price; but then I heard stories about S9 is no longer in production anymore despite M9 has a new model came out. Really don't know what's the deal with Steyr. I believe it is a decent product, just their marketing work failed them in this country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts