Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Ok, I'm sure this has probably been addressed more then once but I just need some clarification. I've been wanting a 9mm and I've been toying with the idea of getting a P99. I've rented one in the past and I liked it. I like the looks of it and it feels good in the hand. I own Glocks and really like them but the P99 seems to be the next generation of the polymer semi automatic. I like the interchangable backstrap and decocking system.
So, I read up on them here and across the web and make a couple visits to the local shops and I have just a couple questions I hope you all can address for me. I imagine the Smith & Wesson version is probably identical to the Walther but I really just want the Walther. I get the idea that there are some out there that are a mix of the two, is this so? If I go in to my local shop and say " I want a Walther P99 in 9mm." is it a sure thing that it will be 100% Walther? With no S&W parts. Don't get me wrong, I like S&W and I own some of thier products. It's just that if I say Walther well, I want a 100% Walther pistol. Also, what's the skinny on all the differant trigger configs? Is there one that is generally prefered? Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you order a Walther P99 in 9mm, it will be 100% German-made with Walther-made parts (except for the magazines, which are made by Mec-Gar in Italy).

In my opinion, the best trigger is the standard one, now called the AS (Anti-Stress) version. It has a SA/DA trigger system. Its reset is very short and crisp. Not as good as a tuned 1911, but much better than a Glock. I found the trigger reset of the QA (Quick-Action) version, the one with a constant trigger pull for all shots, to be too long for my tastes, to the point that I felt it was better to simply buy a Glock to get a constant trigger pull.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey Mr. Bangdango, what do you intend to use the pistol for? If it's going to be a service or CCW pistol you may want to look at the DAO model as well. Not that I would know good vs. bad but it's my understanding that the DAO trigger has a reputation for safety among troopers and others who carry their gun 24/7. Anyway, if you post a little of your intended use for the gun maybe some of the more experienced people on the board can give you more meaningful advise. Each trigger has its advantages for different conditions. It also depends on what your prior experience is.

I have a .40 AS but don't carry. One of my alternates was an XD in .40. What won we over to the Walther was the decocking feature and the AS trigger. The XD is probably more like the Glock but I've never shot one. I plan to rent one soon just out of curiosity.

If you buy the gun localy, make sure you check out the backstrap fit before accepting the gun. Mine fits very poorly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. I will be carrying it often. Right now I carry a G21 in a sidearmor IWB. Yea, it's big but, I like full sized handguns. As far as having a trigger I'm used to I have a number of "varients" on differant platforms and I have no problem adapting. The anti stress trigger seems interesting. I didn't pay attention to the set up on the one I rented but if I recall right the first pull was rather long and the second and beyond was short and light. I liked the short reset, it kinda reminded me of my Glocks but without that potato mashing feeling.
I really like the looks of the P99. I think it will be a nice departure for me from what I have now both platform and caliber wise. This is also going to be my first 9mm.
A couple more questions. What about regular cap mags? I've done searchs and can't seem to find any. Can I order them directly from S&W? Also, who's making good holsters for them? I know that the slide is a bit differant for the 9mm and .40 S&W. Do I need to be spacific to cal. when selecting a holster? I think it would look good in something Kydex. Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are a number of threads regarding holsters. I never saw any distinctions between 9mm and 40 models when I went to manufacturers websites. Holsters are flexible enough I presume to deal with slight size differences. That also makes P99 holsters work with SW99s, most of the time, even though their slides are different.

You remember right about the SA trigger. The first shot after loading a mag and cocking the trigger (if needed) has a long pull with a light but consistent resistance till you get to the sticking point. If you let go of the trigger it will not spring back. After that point there's a crisp, short SA trigger which repeats after each shot. The reset is indeed short. Friday I was practicing the reset method as advocated by Farnam (keep trigger pulled back until you drop back on target) and I accidentally double tapped with the second shot heading into the ceiling. Just a little reminder how serious this stuff is

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, as far as holsters go my search has ended. It was right under my nose the whole time. LOL Aperantly Sidearmor makes a IWB holster just like the one I use daily for my Glock. I have been very pleased with thier products and I'm sure I'd be happy with one for my yet to be puchased P99.

If anyone is in the market for a good kydex holster Sidearmor is great. I've had mine for almost 2 years and it is still looks good. All I've done is wipe it down inside and out every now and then.

Still lookin for regular cap mags though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the links. I'm afraid I'm gonna miss that free mag offer though. Money is kinda tight right now with Christmas and all. Story of my life. A day late and a dollar short.
By the way, I'm here in Northern Va. Gander Mountian has a P99 in 9mm that is the '03 model for $589. Is that a good price?

·
Registered
539 Posts
New 2004 P99s go for $500 online (credit card price, cash lower) at ak-47man.com . So depending on what you'd pay an FFL, shipping, tax etc. this could be a decent price or you could save a few $$ by going the FFL route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts