Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a P99 or P99QA.

Any pro/cons on either model? Where are the best prices and availiablity? Does Earls still have the Germany models?

thanks!

PS, where can I get 10 rd mags?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Buy the P99(A/S)
the QA is a ok gun.. but like the Glocks it lacks the second strike capability....
Earl for sure has plenty of all German guns...... though they come at a high price......
the Walther P99's you can buy elsewhere (S&W import) are also all German made.. just with minor different parts than the ones Earl is selling......
the german ones have different sights .....U shape on the rear instead of the 3 dot ones.... also they are out of metal and the ones for the American market are plastic
The new models have a different mag release that is longer then the older models (pre 2005 on the mag release)

I have two 10 rounders in 9mm that I might sell... and depending I might have two 10 rounders for the .40S&W with extra buttplates also.....

Other than that you can buy 10 rounders @ CDNN or any other place that sells mags......... also remeber that the SW99 mags will fit your Walther P99.... though they usually come at a cheaper price

·
Registered
149 Posts
Some of the online auctions are nice for p99's, but also a friend at a gun store is best. If you tell them what you are looking for they will keep an eye out for it. I have known of stores asking what would be their parting price on specific guns, and only taking a modest fee for facilitating the transfer. Look around. And CDNN is probably the best place to get mags. THey are just a good company to deal with.
Wagemage

·
Registered
539 Posts
What do you need the gun for? Personally I'm starting to have doubts about the suitability of the AS trigger for carry/self defense unless you put in lots and lots of trigger time. The light SA trigger can really fire of a round when you don't intend to, at least it has for me. A few times I must have pulled the trigger as I was still recovering from the recoil of the previous round. I'm sure it was a limitation of the shooter rather than the gun but a QA or DAO model would not have done this. As much as I like the AS I'm starting to see the value of consistent, somewhat heavier trigger pulls for combat handguns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for informal target shooting. Is the Single action trigger on the QA better than the AS?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (titan7 @ April 05 2006,5:43)]Just for informal target shooting. Is the Single action trigger on the QA better than the AS?
There is no SA trigger on the QA - it ios the same every shot, and rather heavy. For pure target shooting, the A/S is better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The QA or quick action trigger is a consistent, I believe 7 lb. pull, the entire way through. It is the same with every shot. The beauty behind the QA is that the trigger never changes. From the first to the last it is one consistent pull. It is slightly heavier pull for self defese situations. It is intended to be a little more difficult to pull the trigger under stressful situations in which you would like have your gun drawn. The idea is that you will not pull the trigger unless you intend to really shoot the gun because of the heavier pull. Additionally the QA will not fire unless it is cocked, and you can decock it for carry and be comfortable that it will not fire.

THe DA SA or A/S trigger is different. Uncocked, the first pull is a long heavy pull. Heavier than the QA's pull. This also has the intent of keeping the shooter from firing a round unless they really want to. However, the follow up shots the trigger changes. It becomes a 2 stage trigger, with the about a 3lb. pull. Nice short and crisp, pleasant for follow up shots. The idea is that once you pulled the trigger once, why stop. :p J/k. The idea is that you have already made the decision to fire, and once in a shooting some people want a lighter shorter pull. The general view held on the board is that if it is a carry piece, go with QA, if its for target. A/S. This of course varies, and I recommend shooting both. If you can't shoot a QA, I say dry fire a glock a few times, and imagine if the trigger was a bit heavier. Pick up an AS and give it a few squeezes in DA, and try a few SA squeezes too. If you are luckier, rent one. Make up your mind that way.

If anyone wants to chime in and correct the overview that woudl be great. I am no where near an authority on this as some of the other members of the board. IE sniper or extremist. (2 people's who opinion I really respect.)
Have a good day All

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally I prefer the AS over the QA. I don't like the idea of carrying the QA decocked since it's not ready to fire and it requires two hands to cock it.

That being said, I also have an XD which I like and it has a similar action to the QA. No decocking option on the XD though.

As stated above, your best bet is to try bot out and see what you think. Also evaluate your needs and see what fits the best. Our opinions may not be applicable to your needs.

Either way, enjoy your new pistol when you get it.
CD

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'll throw my hat into the ring if you don't mind. I think the question that was raised by nocturnal is the first thing that you have to establish. What will be the pistol's primary purpose? Sport, protection or both? I own three AS models and since I have found what I like, I stick with this system so as not to confuse myself. I too have had a few unintentional double-taps while shooting competition but I have seen the same thing from people using Glocks and some 1911's;so here is where the QA would shine. But I use my pistols for both competition and carry so I want a system that will suit me best. In this case that would be the AS. Honestly I think it takes practice and just getting used to the trigger system. When I shoot competition I always begin with in SA mode, no different than guys using the 1911. It works fine I just have to slow down some. But if it ever came to a real situation and you experience an adrenaline dump into your system and fine motor skills are gone, well the heavier trigger pull of the QA may just be the ticket.

I think the occurrence of the double-tap on the AS is not from the light trigger pull as much as it is from the shortened trigger travel in the SA mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the AS is the one to go with. This will be a Target shooting only pistol, I think the lighter SA trigger will be better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All my pistols are DA/SA. It's what I learned on and I am comfortable with it. I have never had an unintentional shot shooting my P99s, I really like the short reset of the P99 AS.
I CCW my P99 but, I do so in DA.
YMMV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holy Cow!

Where do I begin. I don't know why I feel SO compelled to respond to some of the comments, but I just had to.

I'm getting read to purchase the Walther S&W 9mm, but I'm confused about the different models available so I came here.

When it comes to Single Action (SA) versus Double Action (DA) there are two ways to look at it.

Wait, before I head down that road, let me start off by saying that the QA and AS are both technically double-action only, not SA/DA like some people think.

A true Single action releases the hammer to strike the firing pin which strikes the primer which ignites the bullet. The "detent" on the QA only buys you half a pull, it still functions (technically speaking of course) like a DA pistol, because you're still raising the hammer to striking position as you pull - not simply release the hammer. Having said that, it feels very much like SA because of the light (roughly 3 lbs.) pull required to discharge the weapon.

Ok, shew....back to SA vs. DA. SA is more accurate than DA. Case closed. Nobody will EVER argue the opposite. However, in stressful situations a trigger that changes behavior can throw a person off and can be difficult to handle. Yes, the gun may go off sooner than expected because you're expecting 7 lbs. and 3/4 inch travel instead of 3 lbs. and 1/4 inch of travel.

Still SA is more accurate because squeezing the trigger doesn't disrupt aim as much. So, what do you do? Good question. There's a little known technique in the gun world called "practice" - you should look into, it's great. If you honestly expect to use a weapon with surgical precision the when the day comes when it's you or him - you better darn well be at the shooting range at least once or twice a week. I don't care if you have to go to the range every week for the next 20 years before your "big day" comes - that's what it takes. It's either that or shooting an innocent bystander or yourself instead of the assailant.

So, (Insert Your Name Here), buy the pistol with the SA (or in this case the "detent"), hit the range and hit it often - and pray that you never have to use your gun to end the life of another human being. But if you have to, make sure it's the life of someone trying to take yours, and not someone else, or worse - yourself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]SA is more accurate than DA. Case closed. Nobody will EVER argue the opposite. However, in stressful situations a trigger that changes behavior can throw a person off and can be difficult to handle.
Whoa... Although I see your point, in the case of my P99, as opposed to my Sig 226, I can and do consistently shoot very well on that first long action or DA shot... I have been very impressed with it, so much so, I often uncock it just to shoot it in the DA mode... Your generalization does not fit the profile of my personal shooting experience with the P99. In fact just today I burnt 200 rounds practicing slow double taps so half the rounds I shot were from the DA position. I did just as good on the first shot as I did on the follow up in the SA mode. It's actually one of the reasons I like the P99...

Second, I've been in a stressful situation (see my profile) and used my Sig 226 for defense and let my tell you, I never noticed the difference between the heavy DA pull and the very light SA trigger on the 226... I had, uh, other things going through my mind... In fact, I never felt the bullet that went through my shoulder prior to me returning fire... No, when that adrenaline kicks in, you don't notice the little things... Your advice on "hitting the range and hit it often" is spot on however!
Teach your body for when your mind doesn't have time to think...

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (KorbanD @ April 08 2006,4:00)]Wait, before I head down that road, let me start off by saying that the QA and AS are both technically double-action only, not SA/DA like some people think.

I think this is incorrect...  The AS would be classified as "traditional double action".  Not, Double Action only like the QA.

-stunks

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are people on this board who report that they shoot more accurately with the QA trigger so it's definately possible to use it for aimed fire. For a dedicated target pistol the AS may be the better choice. That said there may be better choices than the P99 for target shooting. Like a tricked out 1911 in .38 Super or other lighter round. While the P99 is plenty accurate it's a battle pistol first.

When you say 'target shooting', do you mean actual bulls-eye shooting or steel plates etc. on a course?

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ April 08 2006,5:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (KorbanD @ April 08 2006,4:00)]Wait, before I head down that road, let me start off by saying that the QA and AS are both technically double-action only, not SA/DA like some people think.

I think this is incorrect...  The AS would be classified as "traditional double action".  Not, Double Action only like the QA.

-stunks
You are quite correct. I also disagree with calling QA double action, because I wouldn't call a glock or xd double action, but somewhere inbetween DA and SA.

The breakdown really is
AS = traditional double action (DA first shot, SA following shots) but a long pull if manually cocked to SA
QA = assisted action, glock style
DAO = double action only

·
Registered
10 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (KorbanD @ April 08 2006,4:00)]The "detent" on the QA only buys you half a pull, it still functions (technically speaking of course) like a DA pistol, because you're still raising the hammer to striking position as you pull - not simply release the hammer. Having said that, it feels very much like SA because of the light (roughly 3 lbs.) pull required to discharge the weapon.
... and the pull on the QA is ~7lbs, not 3.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My QA's stock trigger pull was about 6 lbs, and with the aftermarket striker spring it's about 4.5 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts