Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received 02/10/2003

"Who is dealing with steel ones? We, Carl Walther Germany, have never produced a steel one. We do not see a reason for using a steel recoil guide rod but a steel one will not affect the function of the pistol."

Best regards

Carl Walther GmbH
Germany

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just FYI

Do you remember that link CKW provided in the original "stainless rod" topic, and a photo of a Glock plastic rod badly chipped? It happened to my p99 yesterday. It is not that bad, but I would say a very visible part of the "outer rim" is gone on my 9mm. All I did was shooting normally (100 FMJ and 50 HPJ), and only at home I noticed the damage. I've just called Walther America and they sending me a new rod, no questions asked. Nice of them.
Just thought I'd share this with you.

Take care,
Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will take a picture. Hope it is easy to upload it.
I don't have the gun with me now, so it has to wait till tomorow.

Val

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have seen some damaged recoil rods in Glocks, specifically the rear most portion of it that engages the barrel lugs. Damage is usually caused by improper assembly. The circular end of the recoil rod should fit into the semi-circular cutout on the barrel. If it's not, damage can result, such as chipping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, it happened to the small "mashroom" looking rim that you can see if you look at the muzzle. It is the front side of the rod!

Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
My very uneducated (in guns, that is) guess would be that the plastic didn't stand the stress of the slide repeatedly cycling. I would speculate that the dimentions of this particular rod were a few microns off, and that caused abnormal geometry and led to increased inner tensions. And then it just gave up.
I love the gun anyway. The rod is but a small replaceble part.

Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am trying to upload a photo. Can't get the tip of the rod in focus, this cheap camera sucks. Sorry for the crappy picture. Anyway, you should be able to see the damage.

Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, it doesn't work. Could anybody help me to post a picture? Please note I don't have a web page (no URL for me, alas!).

Val

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you M700!

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, this camera is cheap and doesn't have a manual focus. It just wouldn't focus on the rod. However, the damage is visible.
I am not sure what kind of a rod they will send me from Walther USA. Do you think it will be that aluminum alloy rod or the original plastic one?

Val

1 - 14 of 14 Posts