Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just wanted to share some photos of two Walthers P1s that recently came into my possession.

The later model appears unissued. While the older one seems to have a blued finish and some wear marks. I was curious if by the serial number there is a way I can figure out the manufacture dates (377163 & 194546). Also, is this plastic bag it is in original from Walther?

I really want to open them but I don’t want to ruin a preserved piece of history like this, so I was hoping for some input on what you guys would do!

Thank you!
Brandon

·
Registered
472 Posts
Whoever put them in that wrap, it’s not new.

On both, I can make out the Bw stamp, and the 81 year stamp on the slide of the first. They’re both surplus Bundeswehr P1’s, and the other one likely has a date stamp too.

You will not destroy any historical value by getting them out of those sandwich bags in which they were likely put by the importer/wholesaler. Just enjoy the guns!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thank you for that, it’s a vacuum sealed bag so I figured it must have been done at the factory. Maybe I will crack one of them open tomorrow and take a look then!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suspect it was done not at the factory but at a Bundeswehr depot, but I can't read the labels clearly enough to see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here are the text and translations to them... they are on various little tags around the package on them.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes, clearly long-term storage nature of the packaging, but the tags also may have had clues as to which depot did the work, and you can also see what look like stock numbers. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I really want to open them but I don’t want to ruin a preserved piece of history like this, so I was hoping for some input on what you guys would do!
I would open one, shoot it, and enjoy it. The other I would leave sealed and sell to another collector and use the proceeds to fund another Walther.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep, didn’t see, or rather failed to read the note. The chits with serial inside look military, so these may indeed have been packed at a depot in Germany. Doesn’t change the fact that they are used BW pistols. If you have thoughts of re-selling, somebody might be willing to pay a bit more in the wrap. Then again, others might not be willing to buy a pig in a poke. The suggestion to shoot one and keep the other intact in the wrap might be a good compromise.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I suspect it was done not at the factory but at a Bundeswehr depot...
That is correct. Other guns received a similar treatment by the German Bundeswehr to ensure their functionality after many years of storage under suboptimal conditions. I own two Bundeswehr P21 (Walther PPK), which are wrapped in VCI paper too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you guys are right... I might open one. I’d prefer to open the earlier one to see how nice that Blued looking finish is. Plus it seems to have the original slide on it as well. I won’t shoot it anyways. We will see if I muster up the courage to actually open it now though....

Funny I’ve never seen anything in the VCI paper until discovering these two a short while ago.... so I appreciate the advice.

Brandon

·
Registered
472 Posts
Funny I’ve never seen anything in the VCI paper until discovering these two a short while ago.... so I appreciate the advice.
VCI is a commercial product and if you check around a bit, you’ll find you can find anything from M1919 machine gun barrels to Rolls Royce parts packed in it. That’s why I personally think it adds no value, but for some people it obviously does.

Also note that the instructions you translated postulate a 5-year endurance of the protection. Those guns were likely bagged in the later 1990s.

I know a collector who owns a WW II vintage Colt Commando in the box. Sometime post-war a National Guard armory slathered the thing with cosmoline for storage. Now you can’t touch and barely recognize the gun, but he doesn’t want to clean it off because the goo might be “historic”. Plemplem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts