Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been discussing this with a couple of friends. Whats the collective wisdom here.

Anyone here not think the P99 plays in the same league as the HK USP series in terms of reliablility, durability and overall quality.

Curious what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I owned a HK USP45 in stainless for quite a few years, but sold it. I believe the P99 and USP are in the same class (quality, reliablity, function) without a doubt. Having said that, I think the P99 is a better pistol, but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, this being the Walther forum, I don't think U will have people say the HK is better. And, if U go to HK Pro, U will not get people that says the Walther is better :p

But, I have both Walthers and HKs. The HKs are high quality. As said above, I think the Walther equals them.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have both and I like them both. Quality is good on both. I would say my P99 is equal to my H&K USPc .45 in quality. Neither one has ever had a FTF or any other problems.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have said this before.....
IMHO the P99 should not be compared to the USP .....
The USP was developed for the military.... the P99 for the police....
I would compare the P99 to the P2000 of the HK line and there the P99 stands out I think... only "bad" part for lefties is that the P99 does not favor them as much as the P2000 unless you get a P99 DAO (post 2004) (or QA with ambi controls,which I only have seen in Germany so far)
I think they are equal well built and equal reliable...
I never shot the P2000 but the polymer frame does not feel as solid as the P99's frame and the ergonomics of the P99 are by far better than the P2000 (let alone the USP)......Now once the P30 is on the market I think the P99 has some good competition....
Some people on HKpro have agreed that the P99 is one of the most underrated pistols on the market at the time and if Walther/S&W would do something about marketing they still could take the shooting world by storm I think even with the P99 being already 10 years on the market....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe the P99 and USP are in the same class (quality, reliablity, function) without a doubt. Having said that, I think the P99 is a better pistol, but that is my opinion.
I agree. Theres a reason why I got rid of my USPc and still have my P99.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My best friend tried to get me to buy a H&k I shot his, I let him shoot my p99. Now he owns a p99. He says it fits his hands better. Now he shoots as well as i do...maybe i shouldnt have told him about it?...hmmmm...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have shot many (thousands & thoudands) rounds with the usp. It's my duty sidearm. I think it's great but I purchased a P99 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's much lighter and I find more accurate the farther down rage I go. Both the P99 and the H&K are great. It might be a matter of preference but I would take the P99 over the H&K any day.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have said this before.....
IMHO the P99 should not be compared to the USP .....
The USP was developed for the military.... the P99 for the police....
I would compare the P99 to the P2000 of the HK line and there the P99 stands out I think... only "bad" part for lefties is that the P99 does not favor them as much as the P2000 unless you get a P99 DAO (post 2004) (or QA with ambi controls,which I only have seen in Germany so far)
I think they are equal well built and equal reliable...
I never shot the P2000 but the polymer frame does not feel as solid as the P99's frame and the ergonomics of the P99 are by far better than the P2000 (let alone the USP)......Now once the P30 is on the market I think the P99 has some good competition....
Some people on HKpro have agreed that the P99 is one of the most underrated pistols on the market at the time and if Walther/S&W would do something about marketing they still could take the shooting world by storm I think even with the P99 being already 10 years on the market....
Wonderfully put Uncut!

·
Patron
211 Posts
I have several P7's........my duty gun is a USP 45, I've had and sold P2000's and I even have a P9. But the Walthers I have are made, as far as I'M concerned, with the same quality.

It's all a matter of taste here, not quality.

YMMV

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am going to play devils advocate. I think the USP is probably quality controlled at the factory a bit more stringently then Walther. That being said the Walther P99 has several less components then the HK, and the safety mechanisms for dropping the weapons are probably better on the Walther.

If they try to pull the HK is a better weapons because it has better quality tell them to field strip a standard new HK USP and look for the tool marks etc. Also ask them if they have ever stripped a HK to the pins and springs, before.

HK overall isn't any better then Walther. I think Walther has had a few more lemons shipped out (to include my compact which fired flawlessly, but had disassembly issues, and was promptly fixed). Then again everyone has issues and if they want to check it out tell them to go to HKpro, and look up my USP broke.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Customer Service

I've seen the HK USP vs Walther P99 debate before.

My question is: How does HK's customer service stack up against Walther?

Eventually, we'll all need replacement parts (recoil springs, striker assy, etc.). When it comes to our hour of need who will come to help?

·
Registered
354 Posts
HK - 2 to XX weeks for service. Generally your looking at double digits for fixes etc. They are some of the worst Customer Service in the industry when it comes to being polite.

Walther/S&W - Excellent service turn around time for them has been 2-3 weeks for me, free shipping both ways (which is damn near unheard of) and the people on the phone were far nicer then HK.

Just my experience, and experiences will/do differ.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
While many might not 100% agree with me here.......
S&W is great... however some parts might be on backorder with them or some things they just won't import (threaded barrel and such)... but at least you can reach them.....
I know since HK moved to Trussville much has changed, including their Customer service. I have not heard anything but good things since their move....
FWIW... even if S&W should not be able to help you out there is always Earls repair shop...many think he is overpriced and arrogant... but he knows Walthers like nobody else and has what you need in stock... So what I am saying is ... you got 2 choices with Walther's where to go to get parts and service, which can't be said about H&K and you have to agree that H&K wasn't always the most civilian friendly company...... (and who knows if it stays the way it currently is)
I do have 2 P7M8's and love them (almost more than the P99)... but while I don't have spare parts for my Walther's besides some extra recoil springs... I sure have started a collection of spare parts for the P7M8's that I have.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts