Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AS trigger system is what makes the P99 totally unique among Polymer framed handguns.

Of course the little extras like back straps and sights help, but anyone including Block could do that.

no other handgun comes to mind that is striker fired and has second strike ability and can be carried in a single action mode.

Given that Walther is a higher priced handgun than a Block, has less aftermarket accessories why would Walther USA chose not to have an item that sets them apart form any other striker fired handgun

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the exact same sentiments. I would buy a Glock before I would buy a Walther P99 QA. They are less expensive and more common (also, they are available in 10mm).

You can still get the Walther P99 AS from Earl's Repair, but they are $pendy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Probably for the same reason they choose to have the worst firearms-related website on the Internet, hands down. They have a terrific pistol in the P99 and they are atrocious at marketing it competitively. That's probably why Springfield Armory's XD series and the like are beating the pants off Walther's P99.

·
Registered
35 Posts
in my opinion I would not buy any other pistol than a walther. Its true that they lack many that other arms makers have. But when it comes to a fine pistol I am more than happy with my p99c qa. I am having no thouble finding accessories or parts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is puzzling. I suspect that the AS outsells the QA by a large margin. I have a QA and I like it, but I had to special order it because no one stocked one.

If the Springfield XD is outselling the P99, I suspect that it has more to do with its price (about $100 less) than its action.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's a good point about the price. If the price was a factor in my case I would have purchased a taurus ( 250 looked a little too cheap for me) I wanted the best that I could afford I had no problem shelling out 650 though a little on the high end for my p99c qa. I will defend my gun.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well here is an "educated" guess to your question........

I believe the reason is supply and demand.

These companies that produce 10's of thousands of handguns in a year cannot afford even a tiny mistake in gauging the market demand. Smaller custom shops can afford some mistakes. Having said that, I think the LE community is embracing more an more these semi-auto's that have a double action pull only. They sight safety and training issues as a reason to have a gun that performs the same way with each pull of the trigger. I believe it is the LE market that drives the particular importing of these types of handguns. As an example, you can easily sell 30 thousand handguns to NYPD if they have a need to upgrade! That is just one dept in one state.

WE love our AS triggers or the older SA / DA model because we( the collector or sport shooter) embrace a handgun that offers "options". Becuase we shoot more often than the average Police Officer......the use of these options can be done safely. On the other hand these options can add confusion to a user that only shoots his/her weapon once a year to re qualify. Yes this is true- as strange and unbelievable as it seems...... a lot of Police Officers only shoot their weapon at the range when forced to do so to maintain their qualification! This fact comes from first hand knowledge. Many have to "re shoot" the PPC course to pass and that is almost just as unbelievable because the course is terribly easy.

So I think Walther saw this LE trend and decided to put their efforts here in the USA to DA only guns.

I could be totally off base on this........ so don't take it as fact, only as an informed observation.

JF

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
sniper350,

Well said. I think you have hit on a lot of what market Walther is trying to cater to. If you look at their European sales, you'll also notice that the QA trigger or DAO trigger is selling better.

You might have also noticed that S&W is marketing, big time, their version of the QA trigger in their SW99. I think the gun manufacturers are trying to get a slice of the pie that Glock has had for many years now.

I've also wondered if S&W really cares about Walther. To me it's hard to tell people to buy a Walther, when your trying to sell a gun that in many rights is the exact same thing (SW99) and will probably bring you (S&W) a better return than your partners product.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (madecov @ May 25 2005,3:04)]...no other handgun comes to mind that is striker fired and has second strike ability and can be carried in a single action mode...
With allowances, there's the HK P7 series.

Interesting thread - HK seems to have abandoned civilians as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In my area, a comparable glock is more expensive than a P99. Also, The XD comes in more varients, it is EXTREMELY advertised, more stores carry more XDs, it is always in stock, and it's a springfeild. Recently i have really looked into Ruger auto-loaders; they are fair priced, rugged, and i have experienced Ruger's customers service as AMAZING,curtosy, fast, and effective.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't familiar with the P7. Thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I take that back. I am familiar with the P7 as a squeeze cocker but did not realize it was double strile capable never having handled one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts