Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up one of these, a Walther MTK2.

It's a "Made in China" knife and multi-tool. It will never be mistaken for a Benchmade, Spyderco or Leatherman but for $22 the quality is quite decent. It has a 3" drop point flipper combo blade that opens with a thumbstud and uses a liner lock, a slim pair of pliers, the usual can and bottle openers, a glass breaker and a 1/4" driver that accepts the 10 included bits. It all fits inside a sturdy case.

I know there are much better gun-oriented tools out there but I think this will make a useful addition to my range bag.

Grey Font Rectangle Fish Wood

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mulit-tool is a must have item for every range bag. It's just too bad this one isn't made in Germany. That pouch could also be used for a magazine.
And a Germany made version would be three or four times the price, but I'd pay it.

No surprise that this an Umarex product where they just slapped the Walther banner on it.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Why would a Germany made version be three or four times the price, or why would I pay it?

Simply because I believe that at a higher price point I'd be getting a higher quality product.
While I do agree with your rehasing of "you get what you pay for", I caution you to not use that as your only metric. If so, gotta bridge in Brooklyn that I can let you have for cheap. Quality??? Yuge. =-p

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I do agree with your rehasing of "you get what you pay for", I caution you to not use that as your only metric. If so, gotta bridge in Brooklyn that I can let you have for cheap. Quality??? Yuge. =-p
I have walked across, cycled across and run across that bridge many times so I know what the quality is like. Consequently I’ll have to pass on your generous offer.(n)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ah! but not all comparable products are made in China. Just because something is made in Germany and has a certain logo on it does not make its value triple that of other like products of equal quality. Lots of folks get caught up in the fanboy thing and overpay for goods. See it a lot in the archery world as well.

·
Registered
PDP Full Size 4.5"
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah! but not all comparable products are made in China. Just because something is made in Germany and has a certain logo on it does not make its value triple that of other like products of equal quality. Lots of folks get caught up in the fanboy thing and overpay for goods. See it a lot in the archery world as well.
I wouldn’t be buying one of equal quality. For triple the price I would be expecting a better blade steel than the 440C this one came with, micarta or G10 scales rather than plastic, a better pivot, etc. It’s all about understanding the technology, knowing what you want and what you are willing to pay for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts