Walther Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
StoneLake, the bolt you bought is not meant for your rifle. It comes from a late 1920/early 1930s Walther rifle, before they changed the bolt for the Meistserbuchse and Sportmodell actions to wing safeties. Looking for a proper firing pin will not cut it. Your rifle was made after January 1940. I would advise you to visit the K98k link I provided above. The participants specialize in all types of .22 trainers including Walther.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Okay, to see for myself I took apart the bolt from a Sportmodell rifle a few thousand numbers away from yours, and I am now persuaded that the firing pin you need is the one shown in the link on your post #8 above, though if the middle prong in the open rectangle is absent it probably won't matter; it's merely a guide for the spring to aid reassembly. In any case, I searched through my spare pins and I do not have a spare like it.

However, whether that pin --if you find one-- will fit the bolt you bought is a different question. The odds are that it won't. The correct bolt for that rifle has, as Poloberst mentioned above, a wing safety which engages the rear of the firing pin. Thus it has a different configuration at the rear as well as on the bottom where the cocking teeth are located. In going through my stock of spare pins I could distinguish at least five different models of various profiles and lengths. I don't know how Walther ever kept them straight.

I hate to say it but I think that to shoot that rifle you're going to have to find another complete bolt.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I have taken the advice you and Poloberst provided and joined the forum he recommended.
I will continue my search in hopes of finding the correct
bolt for my rifle. I have appreciated all the advice the two of you and all
the members of the forum have provided. Please retain my contact info
for future advice or information on locating the bolt I need.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
M, you don’t possibly have a picture of the firing pin from the Sportmodell
bolt you disassembled do you? It may help me when I locate what I think is
the correct bolt for my rifle.
If you have a firing pin like mine I would be interested in it as it may be an
additional selling point for the bolt I have.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
M, you don’t possibly have a picture of the firing pin from the Sportmodell
bolt you disassembled do you? It may help me when I locate what I think is
the correct bolt for my rifle.
If you have a firing pin like mine I would be interested in it as it may be an
additional selling point for the bolt I have.
No, I don't have a picture, but it's exactly the same as the one you pictured in the link in Post #17 above, with one exception: there is no rod inside the open rectangle.

And I do not have a pin like the one you now have.

M

CORRECTION: The pin needed is pictured in post #17, not post #8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DSM 34 Extractor and Extractor Collar

I'm working on a Sports Model for a neighbor whose father brought the rifle back from the war. I've found that the extractor, and particularly the extractor collar are worn out. Does anyone know where I can find a collar, extractor, or as a last resort, a bolt for this rifle. It's in pretty decent shape, I'd like to get it running for him again.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Which rifle is it? A DSM 34 (military configuration stock and Mauser style bolt or a Walther Sportmodell (semi-military configuration by Walther but with their commercial bolt) as shown above?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the Mauser. I was able to disassemble the bolt and remove the collar. I peened the "lips" down a little and then filed lightly to fit the extractor. I also turned the color around so the back side of the collar faces the front of the bolt. After a bit of judicious fitting, I was able to get it reassembled and smooth in function. The extractor is now solidly retained and it ejects the brass flawlessly, so I guess it'll work, for now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts