Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Walther Sportmodell bolt issue

Greetings from Arizona
I am a new member who has been searching for a bolt for my rifle for many years. I was finally was able to buy one on line from eBay. The seller said the bolt was from a Sportmodell V but it fit my rifle perfectly. I was unable to insert the bolt at first due the firing pin catching on the trigger release for the bolt to fire. I did some inspection and discovered the points on the firing pin were located toward the center of the firing pin but in order to activate the bolt to fire these contact points needed to be located close to the rear of the pin. It appears I need to find a replacement firing pin which I have had no success in locating. I am looking for advise on locating the correct firing pin, the correct bolt, or someone to manufacture the correct firing pin.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a Sportmodell V and a Meisterbuchse and the bolts interchange. From my understanding, the Sportmodell series used the same Walther patented bolt action. You have the Deutsches Sportmodell, the Walther competitive rifle to the DSM 34? When inserting the bolt you bought, did you have to press the bolt release button on the left side of the bolt receiver?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and remove the trigger guard bolts so the stock would separate from
the barrel. This allowed the breech to clear the trigger assembly and the
bolt was easily inserted and locked.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes, and remove the trigger guard bolts so the stock would separate from
the barrel. This allowed the breech to clear the trigger assembly and the
bolt was easily inserted and locked.

Then there is something different in the bolt sold to you as from a Modell V. The bolt should be inserted into the receiver wit out any removal of bolts or receiver from the stock or anything. Can you provide a photo of your bolt.
The first photo is an early Walther Model V. The second is a Walther Sportmodell. I must admit that I sold my Walther Sportmodells but I thought that action was identical to other of the Meisterbuchse series.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
https://imgur.com/gallery/fpZEMyvhttps://imgur.com/gallery/ZmtHMJphttps://imgur.com/gallery/fpZEMyv
First of all I want to thank you for all your help to date. I have searching for a
bolt for my rifle for many years and finally located the one pictured. I have
attached photos of my rifle and the bolt. Please pay attention to the placement
of the trigger contact points on the firing pin as they should be closer to the rear
of the bolt. If you require more pictures please let me know.
I am having trouble loading any pictures. I will send pictures when I am able to
figure out how to attach them.
Thanks for the help, we were finally able to get it to work.

·
Registered
793 Posts
First of all I want to thank you for all your help to date. I have searching for a
bolt for my rifle for many years and finally located the one pictured. I have
attached photos of my rifle and the bolt. Please pay attention to the placement
of the trigger contact points on the firing pin as they should be closer to the rear
of the bolt. If you require more pictures please let me know.
I am having trouble loading any pictures. I will send pictures when I am able to
figure out how to attach them.
When posting a reply, you must use the “ go advanced” and “manage attachments” buttons. Sometimes your image file size may be too large and need to be reduced. Then upload it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pictures have been resized and your instructions followed and my results are the same.
When I try to upload the pictures entered I get the same message “upload failed”. I don’t
know what I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZmtHMJpDoes being a Junior Member have anything to do with not being able to post pictures?
I have tried all the instructions in the posts indicating how to post pictures without any
success. I have now been trying to post some pictures for 3 days with the same results.
The pictures seem to load and the same “upload failed” message comes up.
I finally found someone, a member, who is willing to help me in my 50 year search to
finally get my rifle functioning and all he wants is a picture. It can’t be that difficult to
load a picture but it sure seems to be on this site. I am becoming very frustrated but
have not given up hope for help on posting pictures.
We finally were able to post some pictures with everyone’s help.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Walther changed the configuration of the firing pin in its rimfire rifles seemingly every week, without notice. It's hard to find two exactly alike, and most of them are not interchangeable. Your only hope of finding the right one that will work in your rifle is to remove the firing pin from the bolt and post pictures of it. At least that will identify what does NOT work.

If the trigger is interfering with bolt insertion, you should remove the action from the stock so you can see where and why.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We posted pictures but they appeared in previous threads. I was hesitant about trying to
place them correctly due to all the trouble I had posting them. There are 3 postings in
thread #5 and there is one in #8.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
How to post images from Imgur so they show up in your post.

1. Go to Imgur.
2. Move mouse to upper right corner, click on your name/login, a box drops down, click on 'images'....a new window opens up with all your images.
3. Place the mouse over the image you want to show in your post and 'click'. A new window opens up with that image and a bunch of links presented on the right side.
4. Move the mouse down the the 5th one (BBCode (message boards & forums) and click the purple 'copy' button. That will copy the proper link to the clipboard.
5. Go back to Walther forums...to the post you're typing. Move the mouse to the end/bottom of your text, 'left click the mouse', a window pops up, click on 'paste'.

That's it. Your picture will be displayed in your post.....just like this.....a picture of a punch I modified/profiled to use to knock the slide stop lever/pin thru, or actually just to break it loose and get it started.

·
Registered
793 Posts
IMO, you have a bolt for the early model Walther bolt rifles as shown in the photo I posted, whereas your Sportmodell takes a bolt with the wing type safety shown in the second photo I posted. I am preparing photos of my Model V bolt. They are incompatible.

Also, I might strongly suggest that you visit this forum for additional support as it concentrates in .22 trainers, something this Walther forum does not often do. Members of this forum, myself included, were instrumental in assisting Bob Simpson produce his monumental volume on German training rifles. I participate on that forum also. http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Small-Bore-Training-Rifles-and-Conversion-Kits-1920-1945

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is the later type of wing safety bolt used in the Sportmodell and Meisterbuchse models. IMO, you need a bolt like this to function in your wartime production Sportmodell. Yours is pictured in comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nay-aug/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNDQzOTg0MQ==/?ref=
I have looked for the correct bolt for my rifle for the past 50 years. I have owned it for
60 years and the first bolt I have ever found is the one I purchased. It fits my rifle but
if you compare my bolt, pictured by Poloberst, to his bolt you have the contact points for the trigger and the bolt firing pin in different positions.
I have attached a picture of the firing pin I think I need. It was posted in a thread by
a member of this forum, I don’t know if I can publish his name, in 2011. He had a
contact that was able to manufacture replacement firing pins that worked perfectly. I
have tried to contact him but he has not been active since 2015.
I have visited many gun stores, gun shows, on line suppliers and contacted Walther Dealers in the states and Germany. I have contacted Bob Simpson through email and directly by phone, they don’t deal in parts, and the results are always the same,Good Luck.
If I could find the correct bolt or firing pin I would buy either if I didn’t need to take out another
mortgage. I would be happy to just be able to get my gun range ready even if the parts were
period correct or not.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well I must say you are persistent in your quest. Had you ever tried the on-line auctions like Gunbroker.com. I recall one or two of the early Walthers being offered there. I would by one of those and use the bolt, as it will be quicker I think, if you must use your older rifle. Have you tried the other web site?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been watching this site and numerous others by going to Google and entering
DSM-34. This search shows multiple sites selling rifles and some parts along with forums
to also search. Most rifles for sale have been priced out of my range but I have been
looking almost weekly for something I could afford.
I appreciate all the advice you have provided, as well as others on the forum, and please
continue to share your knowledge and any contacts or others you may find.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nay-aug/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNDQzOTg0MQ==/?ref=
have attached a picture of the firing pin I think I need. ....
How do you know that pin will fit your rifle?

If you expect to solve this problem, you'll need to positively identify which rifle variant and type of trigger you have. Take the barreled action out of the stock and take some clear photos showing left-and-right side views of the receiver and trigger assembly

Then dismantle the bolt you have and take a profile photo of its firing pin so you have identified what doesn't work.

I have a selection of odd Walther firing pins, but I am just not going to waste a lot of time chasing this-or-that in the absence of solid information.

M

1 - 20 of 31 Posts