Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad day. Sent my Interams ppk to walther for warranty repair for hammer follow issues. They got back to me this morning saying they would have to replace the slide to resolve the issue. This sounds a little extreme, but anyone heard of this? I've heard of the cocking piece, safety drum, hammer block spring being issues for hammer follow, but don't know why they would have to replace the whole slide. And the worst part is its gonna be a smith & Wesson slide. I have no intention of selling this gun, but kinda bummed that its gonna be a Frankenstein ppk. Fitting for Halloween. Called m&m gunsmithing and he seemed kinda perplexed as well, but said its possible. 140 for a new slide from him, but already have 525 into the gun.

Here's a before shot in all her glory. Took these before I sent her out. For added insurance. Should have it back in my hands by Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they say why?
I asked and the guy said he couldn't go over the details right now. Whatever that means. I asked about the safety drum alignment and cocking piece and he said all was going to have to be replaced and refitted. If it works I'm happy, but I was proud of my Interams engraving lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Blued or stainless?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a stainless 380. Like I said, m&m gunsmithing could provide me with a new slide for 140, but don't know if I want to invest any more money into the gun

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dang that sucks to read about this. I wouldn't let them replace it with a S&W slide personally, but I understand that you don't want to put any more money into it than you have to.

Do you happen to know what might have caused these issues? I'm just curious if there's anything I can do to avoid something similar from going on with mine in the future?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Can't help you there. I don't have stainless slides. Keep an eye out on gunbroker and ebay. Although I don't see any Interarms stainless slides listed at this time, there were 3 last month...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure its a done deal now. Got the call at 9:30am this morning asking how to proceed. I gave them the go ahead reluctantly. What sucks is I asked for the original slide back, but they said it would have to be destroyed which makes no sense to me. The slide isn't a firearm. They said they were gonna have to replace and refit pretty much all the internals (safety drum, hammer, cocking piece, etc.) The only thing I can think of is the safety drum might have been sitting too low in the slide?? Like I said, they were very vague and wouldn't give me an answer...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would let them replace the slide, but politely ask for the original slide back as well, which they most likely wouldn't mind since it's essentially just scrap metal to them anyway.

That way you can always have the original slide looked at by a gunsmith at a later date to see if it can be repaired.

It's a shame that the slide has to be replaced by a mismatched S&W slide, but if that's what it takes to return the firearm to function then so be it. I'm no snob when it comes to S&W PPKs, (my PPK/S is a S&W) but Interarms slides tend to be finished better, and older examples had engraved markings as opposed to the laser-etched marking on S&W slides.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
I practice at the church of We Be Cynics. Something really wrong with destroying the original slide; such things can be sent thru' the mail without drama. It isn't a 'gun'. It's not Federally regulated within the US.

Back to WBC; have to wonder if someone has other uses for a Ranger slide, even if it is nothing more than a 'smith looking to turn a buck on Gunbroker.
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I have lots of used Interarms slides, cheap. Some with no numbers, more expensive naturally. But they are strictly for those who know precisely what they are doing. For those who don't, by the time you're done with fitting them correctly, you are better off paying M&M to do it for you.

Just saying.

M

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have lots of used Interarms slides, cheap. Some with no numbers, more expensive naturally. But they are strictly for those who know precisely what they are doing. For those who don't, by the time you're done with fitting them correctly, you are better off paying M&M to do it for you.

Just saying.

M
It's a done deal now. Already in the mail. Like I said, m&m said he had them for 140, but was trying to avoid investing anymore money into it than I already have. That being said, what would you ask for a "cheap" slide and would you consider Walther gunsmiths competent to fit an Interarms slide. I'm very sceptical and quite frankly disappointed over the whole situation, but it is what it is. Any idea on why they would need to replace the whole slide? Also my Interams slide didn't have a serial number on it. Didn't know that was less common.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I asked for the original slide back, but they said it would have to be destroyed which makes no sense to me. The slide isn't a firearm.
Something really wrong with destroying the original slide; such things can be sent thru' the mail without drama. It isn't a 'gun'.
It's not surprising to me. Since Walther USA has decided for whatever reason to condemn the slide they don't want it making its way on to someone else's gun in the future. It's the same procedure in aviation. Condemned parts have to get mutilated before disposal so there's no way it can ever be passed off as an airworthy replacement part.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. I'm not happy and the Walther of new sucks. Got my Interams ppk back today and the Smith & Wesson slide actually didn't bug me as much as I thought it would. What did piss me off though was some neanderthal butchered my rear sight. Also they didn't give the paint any time to dry and it smeared all over the slide. Can fix that myself, but shouldn't have to. They replaced parts that aren't listed, wasn't given an explanation of what the problem was like I was told I would, and lastly, the new safety looks like ****. Called them to demand they resolve all this and the guy I spoke to was less than helpful. Told me to email him pictures. Said he's never hear of a complaint like mine before. Names Marcus Mirus. Hope they take care of me, but right now, I'm not holding my breath. Here some pics for your amusement. O yah. They replaced my stainless firing pin and loaded chamber indicator with blued ones. So that's nice. Also just noticed the crap fitting done on the rear of the slide. Were the s&w that bad???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
That sight... :eek::mad:

I'd be pissed.

Call back, ask for Dallas. If he's still with Walther, he'd be the guy you'll want to talk to.

·
Registered
617 Posts
And what was the original issue that you sent it back for ? Did I miss that in another thread?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts