Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
give me your honest opinion. which is the most durable, reliable and has the highest quality, that is if you've used both firearms. the P99 or the Glock ?
thanks,
carloponti

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glocks are mighty durable (in 9mm that is). I am hoping my new P99 is more reliable, I know it will be more accurate. They are both good weapons, I just think the higher ups at glock are lacking in the ethics dept. when it comes to customer service.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a 1994 Glock 17, and a 2 year old Walther P99.
The Walther has better machining work and finshing inside the slide, than the Glock has on the exterior.
The Walther polymer has fiber reinforcements, and seems sturdier than my Glock.
The Walther magazines are far superior to the plastic Glock mags, this is my biggest complaint about Glocks, the mags start splitting after a few years of hard use.
Both my Glock and my P99, have been absolutely reliable, and both have been extremely durable. The G17 has around 10k rounds, my P99 has around 13k rounds, neither show any appreciable wear.
Both pistols broke the same part at around the same number of rounds, the slide stop springs gave out on my P99 and my G17 at around 10k rounds.
I prefer the P99 myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with NM99. The Walther P99 is fit & finished better than either of my Glocks. My G17 has been perfect for about 14000 rnds, my 21 has given me a few problems and a new G19 I had was nothing but problems. Glock has several models that are great pistols, but they also have had some problems lately with some models.
The P99 has all the great ideals of the Glock with several refinements and extra features.
And 2 major selling points for me was the P99 gives me a better natural point of aim and excellent new full cap mags for $70 new.
Haveing had both of these pisols apart and examined both good, I honestly expect the P99 to be every bit as durable as a Glock if not more so. And mine has been perfect for over 8000 rnds now. And I shoot it better an faster than any of my Glocks. This is alot to do with my yrs of 1911 shooting and the P99a more straight grip angle.
One note, the P99 had former Glock engineers working on it's design durring it's development. I think if Glock was to redeisign it's pistol today it would be very much like the P99.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm with NM99.  The Walther P99 is fit & finished better than either of my Glocks.  My G17 has been perfect for about 14000 rnds, my 21 has given me a few problems and a new G19 I had was nothing but problems. Glock has several models that are great pistols, but they also have had some problems lately with some models.
 The P99 has all the great ideals of the Glock with several refinements and extra features.  
 And 2 major selling points for me was the P99 gives me a better natural point of aim and excellent new full cap mags for $70 new.
  Haveing had both of these pisols apart and examined both good, I honestly expect the P99 to be every bit as durable as a Glock if not more so.  And mine has been perfect for over 8000 rnds now. And I shoot it better an faster than any of my Glocks.  This is alot to do with my yrs of 1911 shooting and the P99a more straight grip angle.
  One note, the P99 had former Glock engineers working on it's design durring it's development. I think if Glock was to redeisign it's pistol today it would be very much like the P99.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't know about reliability, Glocks in 9mm are reliable. I don't think you can say that for the 40s.

In all other indicators, the Walther wins hands down. It's more cleanly made, shoots better, is lighter and is finished better. It also shows every sign of being very reliable.

They say that with a Glock it's either love them or hate them. I bought one in 40 and hated it. Then one day I was on the range and saw a guy Ka-boom one just like mine shooting factory ammo (Model23). I got rid of mine the next day. I later bought a P99 in 9mm & love it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glocks are mighty durable.  That said....I don't really see why a P99 wouldn't be just as if not more so.  They are both reinforced polymer and in finish and quality of the Walther wins hands down.  As far as reliability goes, mine hasn't had a single hiccup in the 2500 or so rounds I've put through it so far....I haven't had the oportunity to shoot that many through one particular Glock but there is no way to improve upon that score.  A very important aspect you forgot....ergonomics.....fit and feel.  The Walther is quite comfortable and fits a wide variety of hands whereas the Glock feels like a plastic brick to a large group of people (myself included).  Maybe if Glocks were a hundred bucks or so cheaper, I could understand choosing one.  

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you believe the PR, Walther involved engineers from Glock when planning the design of the P99. I think Walther has one-upped Glock on their design. Note that HK has adopted some of the Walther innovation (rear grip panels) on their new 2000 model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keeping up with the Johanns...

IIRC, there were former Glock and Steyr engineers involved in the design of the P99.

I think many of the parts are improved over the Glock: trigger, trigger bar, trigger spring, striker, striker safety, extractor, locking block, grip, frame rails, slide lock/takedown, sights...

Do not like the roll pins in the frame, that's about it.

From what I'm hearing here and there, is just as good, if not better, than the Glock in terms of reliability and durability (in 9x19 anyway). Generally agreed it's more accurate.

Also hear latest P99 has a Glock like frame rail, and ambi slide levers/decocker (P99DA, not QA).

So HK added a Walther like grip (P2000 GPM), Walther liked the Glock rail (P99DA), HK now has a striker fired gun (P2000 compact)...

All of 'em chasing the latest Polizei technical specs? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts