Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my 5” PPQ with Walther’s new magwell from the Q5 SF installed. Special thanks to forum member Flubb for selling me the magwell! Installed and it looks great in my opinion, always felt like my PPQ needed a magwell after I bought the Taran Tactical basepads, but the Taylor Freelance magwells seemed a little big and I wasn’t sure if I’d like them or not. Another concern was the fact I was using Taran Tactical basepads instead of those made by Taylor Freelance. Installed the magwell and was pleased to find the Taran Tactical basepads will fit although it is very tight. I did a few practice reloads and the basepads do make slight contact with a few points on the magwell, (see my last attached picture) but my main concern was the retaining pin design of the Taran Tactical basepads, and I saw no perceptible movement of the pin across numerous magazine insertions and the magazine never has an issue fully seating. Personally, I have no concerns about the gun’s function as a home defense weapon with this combination.

I really like this modification on my PPQ. I even feel like the magwell helps with my grip, giving the little finger of my support hand a place to rest, and possibly giving me some slight leverage against muzzle flip as well, but it’s hard to tell.

Cheers, oh and in regards to the Walther’s new magwell,

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also it’s worth noting that I had to do a little extra trimming on the backstrap to get the magwell on easily. From what I understand the Taylor Freelance magwell requires just the lower center of the backstrap to be trimmed out, but for the Walther magwell I had to trim the circled areas in the attached picture at about a 45 degree angle to clear a small curve in the magwell after I had cut the center out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Also it’s worth noting that I had to do a little extra trimming on the backstrap to get the magwell on easily. From what I understand the Taylor Freelance magwell requires just the lower center of the backstrap to be trimmed out, but for the Walther magwell I had to trim the circled areas in the attached picture at about a 45 degree angle to clear a small curve in the magwell after I had cut the center out.

Interesting, I bought a TF magwell and a Walther magwell. They had identical milling larks (ex logos), leading me to believe that TF makes the Walther product, basepads, look identical, including lockup. My Walther magwell only required the two parallel cuts through the backstrap yoke...

Maybe there are 2 generations of Walther Magwells?:):)

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
The funnels for the 'polymer' and 'steel frame' Q's are different. OP has fitted a 'SF' funnel to his 'polymer' Q.

·
Registered
18 Posts
one would think Walther would have put more thought into a magwell they market without having to self fit the damn thing ie; cut your backstrap. not to mention grind on the mag base plates?? how about offering a backstrap and base plates to fit the magwell. the whole process makes me shy away as I don't want any issues with a new $650 pistol.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
MEW.....you've been mislead.....or don't understand what the OP did. The OP installed a magwell originally made to fit the 'Steel Frame' Q, on his 'Plastic Frame' Q. As for as attaching the magwell flare to the pistol, its pretty simple....but DOES require slicing a little chunk of rubber out of your back strap.

As for having to grind on your base pads .... THAT's not required. You simply have to purchase 'Walther' or 'aftermarket' mag baseplates. SIMPLE.

Its the udder guys (like me...and others) that just like to screw around that will grab an angle head grinder and do a little skulpting of the basepad. I guess I was just too cheap to pony up for the additional basepads.

Here's a picture of a Walther 17 round mag that I did a little skulpting on to make it fit in my PPQ with the Walther/TF magwell. It works like a champ.

Here's the modified 'Plus 2' factory base pad.

And here it is in the pistol. The other pistol (Q5) is running a Sig P226 20 round mag. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes, it is confusing unless you have already learned which need mods and which actually fit. I assume the TT/TF base plates fit the magwells. I also have the 20rd 226 mags for my Sig but they won't lock in the Q5?? did you mod the mag to fit? the holes are definetely larger in the Walther mag.

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
Yes I did mod the Sig P226 mag. It's one of the simplest mag mods I've done. The latch hole on the sig mag just needs to be made a little larger to match the size of the PPQ mag. And to do that, ALL you have to do is lower the bottom edge of the hole. DO NOT touch the top edge of the hole (red arrow)...just file on the bottom edge (green arrow). In addition, to keep the mag from banging into the ejector, I make a kydex sleeve or spacer to slide down over the mag (see picture). Lastly, I make a little relief cut at the top, rear, left edge of the mag to provide additional clearance for the eject (just like the Walther mags).

·
Registered
83 Posts
MEW.....you've been mislead.....or don't understand what the OP did. The OP installed a magwell originally made to fit the 'Steel Frame' Q, on his 'Plastic Frame' Q. As for as attaching the magwell flare to the pistol, its pretty simple....but DOES require slicing a little chunk of rubber out of your back strap.

As for having to grind on your base pads .... THAT's not required. You simply have to purchase 'Walther' or 'aftermarket' mag baseplates. SIMPLE.

Its the udder guys (like me...and others) that just like to screw around that will grab an angle head grinder and do a little skulpting of the basepad. I guess I was just too cheap to pony up for the additional basepads.

Here's a picture of a Walther 17 round mag that I did a little skulpting on to make it fit in my PPQ with the Walther/TF magwell. It works like a champ.

Here's the modified 'Plus 2' factory base pad.

And here it is in the pistol. The other pistol (Q5) is running a Sig P226 20 round mag. :D
How do you like the Shield RMS?

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
I like the Shield so much I have 3 (1 carry gun and 2 HD guns). Always on and the 'auto brightness adjust' is lighting quick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PPQ Q5 POLY + sf LOW PROFILE MAGWELL + TF +0 BASE PADS

i tried to fit a SF low pro magwell to my Poly Q5 an aded TF +0 base pads, worked out pretty well , just need to sand the magwell a bit ( or not) , you just need to slam the mag to make sure it just locks tight in the frame.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts