Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I installed a Burris Fastfire 3 on my Walther Q5 match and I'd like to order a Dawson Precision taller fiber optic front sight so that the dot sits above the white line on the rear of the Burris. I just fired off an email to Dawson with the same question but I figured I'd check here too. According to my measurements the top of the slide to the top of the white line on the rear "deck" is .365" if that helps.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So, I installed a Burris Fastfire 3 on my Walther Q5 match and I'd like to order a Dawson Precision taller fiber optic front sight so that the dot sits above the white line on the rear of the Burris. I just fired off an email to Dawson with the same question but I figured I'd check here too. According to my measurements the top of the slide to the top of the white line on the rear "deck" is .365" if that helps.
What ever size you end up with, change the front fiber to green. It's very easy to confuse the red fiber with the red dot, during a match.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks. That's a good idea.
An even better idea is to just remove the front sight. I assume this is a range gun and not a SD pistol. You'll find the Burris is so dependable that it's unlikely you'll ever have need of that front sight anyway. AND, you'll get used to the dot a lot faster!

I've had a FF3 on a 1911 optic pistol for over two years and over 10 thousand rounds. The only time it ever didn't work was one time that it had "timed out" after being on for over 8 hours. That's a built in battery saving feature that I learned about after the fact.

My Wife has one on her optic 1911 and that one will be going into it's second IDPA competition season this year. Again, no issues.

My Kimber 1911 with the Burris is being retired for IDPA back-up gun duty this year for the both of us. It's replacement has no provision to even attatch a front sight.

One of the first things I did with my new Q5 SF USPSA CO pistol, was to remove the front sight.
Don't need the confusion. Haven't missed iron sights on any of them.

If you're set in stone on having a front sight, my reccomendation would be to get a plain black one with no F/O for backup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never thought about it that way. We're just so ingrained to have backup iron sights. I have a (huge by FF3 standards) holographic sight on my S&W Victory and there's no way you could use the irons on that setup. The red dots sure are nice on 50+ eyesight. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
An even better idea is to just remove the front sight.

One of the first things I did with my new Q5 SF USPSA CO pistol, was to remove the front sight.
Don't need the confusion. Haven't missed iron sights on any of them.
I haven't had any problem, since I changed the color to green. The reason I keep it is I have had a FF3 fail and also seen the Venom fail at matches. When I sent it in for repair, I just put the rear sight back up and confirmed zero and shot other matches with it, until I got the FF3 back. I don't want to have to re-install the front one too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts