Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Anybody have an issue when you insert a magazine during a reload (gun in slide lock) and have the slide go forward by itself, BUT the bullet doesn't feed and results in a click instead of a bang? Happened to me 4 times over the span of 2 different competitions, quite annoying. Thanks all!

Best,
Drew

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only had mine a few weeks, one practice session, but ran 300 rounds through my ppq 5 inch, and did not experience the issue you are talking about. I would contact walther about it.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Auto forwarding is not a feature, it's just something that happens if you too vigorously insert a magazine.

You should never count on it.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Hi all!

Anybody have an issue when you insert a magazine during a reload (gun in slide lock) and have the slide go forward by itself, BUT the bullet doesn't feed and results in a click instead of a bang? Happened to me 4 times over the span of 2 different competitions, quite annoying. Thanks all!

Best,
Drew
I'm just trying to understand this part (BUT the bullet doesn't feed and results in a click instead of a bang).

Auto forward is quite normal for the PPQ's....some will do it more easily than others. But you say the round doesn't feed, which means to me that the slide is quite a ways out of battery....which means the striker probably isn't cocked at that point....which means there couldn't be a 'click' and not bang.

I'm thinking what you mean....or whats happening is you ram a new magazine in, forcefully hit the magazine with the heel of your hand to ensure its latched in, which results in releasing the slide, which zooms forward, but stops about 1/8" before its in full battery. THAT will result in a 'click' and no bang. AND when you look at the pistol immediately following this 'no bang', the slide is in full battery.

This is just a guess at whats happening in your situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes

I had the same thing going on. It drove me nuts. Maybe once every one hundred rounds it would happen. I found gunk inside the striker channel, the extractor claw was a mess and the striker block safety was caked up some.

I've made extractor, striker and striker block cleaning routine. That problem is gone.

The good news is once you've done the disassembly a couple times it gets quick.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Funny how little experiences can differ from user to user. Never happened to me but I drop the slide so fast it’s hard to know 🙂

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Does this failure to return to battery issue present itself when using the slide release?

I would think that auto-forwarding would release the slide from the same distance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’ve had this happen on my PPQ M1 a couple of times over probably 10,000 rounds. Every time the gun has fired. Looking at the slide locking process, the first thing you realize is that the only thing holding the slide back is the lever on the side of the slide. This is often referred to as the “Slide Release” lever. It is more properly named the “Slide Stop” as that is it’s primary function and the only thing locking the slide back.

Follow the the cycle. The last round is stripped from the magazine, as the bullet clears the magazine the magazine spring forces the magazine follower up to the top of the magazine. On the side of the magazine you will see a cut out where a little tab on the follower moves up and down. This little tab pushes up on the slide stop allowing it to engage a notch in the slide, holding the slide back. When you insert a loaded magazine the follower is force to the bottom of the magazine and is no longer pushing up the slide stop to engage the notch in the slide. You can watch this happen by removing the slide and inserting an empty magazine. Note the position of the slide stop, push down on the follower with your finger and note the position of the slide stop. A small spring hold the slide stop in the down position until the empty magazine follower forces it up into the lock position. From this you should have an idea of the areas to look at. First the magazine: weak or dirty magazine spring or follower, worn tab on the follower causing it to not engage properly. The slide stop: worn tab on the slide stop, slide stop spring dirty or in need of lub.

All of these could contribute to a premature slide release if the magazine is slammed too hard, jarring the slide stop lever out of position. Remember once you remove the empty magazine there is nothing holding the slide in the rear position but friction between the lever and the slide.

To OldFart’s point, trigger does not reset until about the last 1/8” of forward travel, before that you will have no trigger engagement, therefore no click. You can test this using a empty gun. Pull the trigger until it is released, then slowly pull back the slide until you hear an audible click as the trigger resets. Prior to that last 1/8” you will have no trigger at all. I suppose you could have a weak or dirty firing striker spring that doesn’t allow the striker to come forward. This needs to correct this condition immediately as it can be extremely unsafe.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I’ve had this happen on my PPQ M1 a couple of times over probably 10,000 rounds. Every time the gun has fired.
This is different than what the OP is reporting. The OP is saying that there are malfunctions after the slide auto-forwards. This is not normal.

I can get any pistol I have ever tried with a slide lock to auto-forward. You don't even need a magazine to do this. Lock the slide back and hit the bottom of the magwell with an open palm hard enough and all of them will do this. It is easier to do with the muzzle pointing up.

There has been one member on this thread that has stated that he had the same issue, and cleaning the pistol solved the issue. I'd suggest the OP clean the pistol and see if that doesn't help him as well. I've had the slide auto-forward on my 4" P99 and PPQ pistols, and I've never gotten a malfunction because of it. I don't have very much experience with the 5" models other than putting a small amount of rounds through other people's pistols.

This is often referred to as the “Slide Release” lever. It is more properly named the “Slide Stop” as that is it’s primary function and the only thing locking the slide back.
I disagree.

If a manufacturer puts serrations on the top of that lever, then it is meant to be used as a slide release as well. On some designs (Kahr pistols come to mind), you are supposed to use the slide release lever to release the slide. On other designs with slide mounted manual safeties (like a S&W 5906 or Beretta 92), it is sometimes recommended that you use the slide release because using the overhand method can accidentally actuate the manual safety when releasing the slide.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I purposely slam the mags home in my Q5, to make it auto-forward. Much faster for IDPA/USPSA. If you slam them in a little harder, that may eliminate the issue of not feeding a round, as I've never had that problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I disagree.

If a manufacturer puts serrations on the top of that lever, then it is meant to be used as a slide release as well. On some designs (Kahr pistols come to mind), you are supposed to use the slide release lever to release the slide. On other designs with slide mounted manual safeties (like a S&W 5906 or Beretta 92), it is sometimes recommended that you use the slide release because using the overhand method can accidentally actuate the manual safety when releasing the slide.[/QUOTE]

I’m not trying to be a jerk hear but I’ve had this beaten into my head more times than I can remember. I suggest you check the schematics and parts list. On the Walther PPQ it is referred to as the Slide Lock, on SIGs it is referred to as the Slide Catch, on Glocks its called the Slide Stop. Kahr also calls it the Slide Stop, Beretta lists it as a Slide Stop, S&W 5906 also list it as the Slide Stop. This part is most often referred to as a Slide Stop not a Slide Release. Yes manufacturers do put serration on top but it is still referred to as the Slide Stop lever and it’s primary function is to lock the slide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts