61 - 80 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
It's a brilliant move eliminating the two biggest complaints by PPQ detractors:

1. light pull of the striker

2. paddle mag release.

They will sell a boatload. Remember, Walther is not Santa Claus and is in business to make money. ;)
I think you're right, and if the reported MSRP is correct, at $499, then these may go for $450 or less.

Maybe this is a "value" line of pistols from Walther, or maybe with the push button mag release, cheaper price, and DAO trigger, they are hoping to compete for police contracts in the US with this one.

The Edsel...the Aztek...the PPX. There's a strain of ugly that pops its head up every now and then.
I agree with this too. :D

The PPQ grew on me over time, but I don't see this thing ever doing the same.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not replacing my Q40 but I agree with you guys, I don't think it's meant to. As for the mag release I think Walther should post a video explaining how to actuate the release with the finger rather than the thumb. I didn't know until reading here about it and I think that it's a better system than anything else I've tried. I'm fine with it as long as this is a mass market gun and not a new direction for Walther.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is too easy...Walther has the PPQ for the discriminating pistol lovers, and now they're going to broaden their market and produce a pistol (the PPX) for everyone else....it's that simple. Marketing 101 !!!
+1...nailed it. For those that don't see this,...don't want to see this.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say "I love the PPQ, but why not a traditional style mag release, like the one that I was born and raised with?"...then I'd have at lease $2.25! :cool:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't believe some of the posts here. We've known about this for barely 40 hours and so many have decided they don't like it/don't want it/can't stand it....
I for one welcome this as a possible addition to the ever shrinking list of new Walthers available in this state where the Second Amendment has been under constatnt attack by way of legislation and administration to exclude as many firearms as can be. No PPS. No PK380. No PPQ. No more PPK. I surly hope that Walther submits this new offering for examination and testing here.

How about we give Walther a chance to roll it out, explain its parameters, and get it into the hands of shooters who will then be in a position to be as critical as they should be after a real shakedown.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I don't believe some of the posts here. We've known about this for barely 40 hours and so many have decided they don't like it/don't want it/can't stand it....
I for one welcome this as a possible addition to the ever shrinking list of new Walthers available in this state where the Second Amendment has been under constatnt attack by way of legislation and administration to exclude as many firearms as can be. No PPS. No PK380. No PPQ. No more PPK. I surly hope that Walther submits this new offering for examination and testing here.

How about we give Walther a chance to roll it out, explain its parameters, and get it into the hands of shooters who will then be in a position to be as critical as they should be after a real shakedown.
I admit that I'm one of the guys that aren't really all that interested in this pistol, as of right now. I just don't like the idea of a hammer fired DAO pistol with a push button mag release.

You make a good point though. The news of the PPQ's release was taken the same way by some in this forum, and now, a year after it was released, it could be the most popular or well liked modern Walther, with a subsection in this forum dedicated to it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
PPX-
-Button mag release
-Hammer fired
-DAO
Three steps backward from the PPQ. Thank you but no. I never thought I'd be saying this, but the biggest drawback to this pistol is the button mag release.

The PPQ is elegantly simplified in it's operation. The PPX feels "dumbed down" simplified. However, if it's enough to get those thinking of buying a HiPoint to change their mind, that's a good thing

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
There's an oft-told tale that Zhou Enlai, the premier of Communist China (1949-1976), was asked about his impressions regarding the long-term effects of the French Revolution (1789-1799) with regard to Vietnam. His reply: "Too soon to tell."

Even if the story isn't true, and it's likely not, it's a decent reminder that we have much to learn about this pistol before drawing any great (or small) conclusions. I recall a similar discussion on this forum when the PPQ was released, with many people indicating that it looked like a waste of time. Their attitudes might well be different about the Q today.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Why do I get the feeling that this PPX is somehow a prototype? Much like car makers at autoshows. Or a hoax? Walther chooses to announce the gun through a small gun websight? Or they don't announce it at all and only one person picks up on the story? No press release but photograph away! Plus, taking steps backwards and stepping on the P99's toes while doing it. Something just doesn't feel right. Anyone else get that feeling?

If it is true, comparisions to a HighPoint is not a good sign.

Besides, I think Parabellus has it right. Some pics and obscure specs and decisions are already made if you want it or not. Maybe the trigger is an upgrade from the PPQ??? or the recoil is much nicer or it comes with 5 mags??? Probably not but hopefully you get my point; some are quick to judge. Maybe Walther is flirting with a $499 price and it turns out to be $399 with a street price in the low $300's. Look at the success with the Sigma and SD series from S&W. If S&W would put a sweet trigger in the SD or sigma they would outsell their M&P line. If Walther recognizes that and their PPX is the answer, maybe it wont be that bad of a gun. I'll wait for a decent review or two before I pass judgement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The PPQ is my favorite pistol, bar none. I love my Ruger SR9c for CCW year-round, but I OC my PPQ at work, and conceal it OWB frequently. To be frank, it would take something amazing to excite me nearly as much as the PPQ.

I say this because I don't feel that it's necessary or fair to compare anything else to the PPQ. I am not looking for a replacement go-to pistol. I certainly may add other pistols to the stable, though. Why? "Just because..."

I don't expect any/many PPQ owners to trade out, but a few of us may add. It is also possible that this may be oriented toward US LEOs. The action, price point, and chambering, as well as US friendly mag release, all seem in line with that goal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The PPQ is my favorite pistol, bar none. I love my Ruger SR9c for CCW year-round, but I OC my PPQ at work, and conceal it OWB frequently. To be frank, it would take something amazing to excite me nearly as much as the PPQ.

I say this because I don't feel that it's necessary or fair to compare anything else to the PPQ. I am not looking for a replacement go-to pistol. I certainly may add other pistols to the stable, though. Why? "Just because..."

I don't expect any/many PPQ owners to trade out, but a few of us may add. It is also possible that this may be oriented toward US LEOs. The action, price point, and chambering, as well as US friendly mag release, all seem in line with that goal.
I don't disagree, but I see it more as Walther's attempt at a Sigma/SD line. Police is a fine market to chase, but this gun in particular looks like an entry model to me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Noodles,

Fair point. Still, it makes me cringe to relate "Walther" and "Sigma". /shiver

I would love to see Walther land more US LE contracts, and this seems to have the right features. If they deliver Walther reliability and trigger quality at this price point, as opposed to Umarex quality, then I would think that they may have a great chance to break into the LE market. The M&P has had so much success in that way for two main reasons: 1) S&W often buys Glocks from departments, as a sort of 'trade' to mitigate re-issue costs, and 2) by selling the heck out of "fits everyone" ergonomics.

With Walther's ergonomics and track record, this could be a great opportunity for them to REALLY get their name out in the US.

Then again, an "entry level" product with proper marketing might do the same.

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
The Edsel...the Aztek...the PPX. There's a strain of ugly that pops its head up every now and then.
Hey, that's why they made Glocks....I understand they were designed by a brick layer. Plenty of undiscriminating buyers who LIKE Ugly. It's OK...it's all about choices, marketing and market share. Reminds me of some of the girls in high school...the discriminating shopper looked over some of these girls, however, there were enough non-discriminating shoppers to take up the slack. 'Something for Everyone'....some like beauty, while others like Ugly....go figure. Way to go Walter !!!!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think the PPQ is ugly.

This thing is atrocious.

That being said, I guess I understand the model release. If MSRP is $499 or so...this thing could be selling at $375-380 on the street. The PPQ's MSRP is something like $700 and will probably stay at $500-550...if not bump up a bit when the PPX shows up.

To this point, I am just conspiracy-theorizing here...the PPX's different trigger/controls are there for one of two reasons:

1) They want to appeal to the market who demands such controls/hammers yada yada.

2) They simply needed to differentiate the pistol? I wonder if this would be sold by shops as "or you can step up to the PPQ with the striker, and ambi-paddle release...." etc.

If the price really can be sub-$400 this could also be squarely aimed at the professional security market. There is a huge market for security companies who don't have police budgets and want reasonably priced handguns for their employees. This used to be the world of the S&W Sigma etc.

Either way, I don't care as it doesn't really appeal to me (or meet my needs as advertised). That being said, anything that puts money in Walther's pocket is good for Walther customers. Very curious to see how it develops.

Curious - will follow out of pure curiosity.

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
I think the PPQ is ugly.

this could also be squarely aimed at the professional security market. There is a huge market for security companies who don't have police budgets and want reasonably priced handguns for their employees.
Well it was the exquisitely crafted lines of the PPQ that first caught my eye and set it apart from all the others that more closely resembled a brick...oh, they shot well, but they were just ugly.

And I think (OK...I'll say it 'Glock') took a page from Steve Job's play book....get their guns into all the Law Enforcement Agencies and the rest of the peoples will follow.....Hey, it worked....sold a krap load. Now Walter wants a piece of that pie (maybe)...

It doesn't sound like the PPX is something for me, however, I would like to fondle one....try the trigger, etc. I'm only interested in this pistol out of curiosity as to how they can have such a short DOA trigger pull without an excessive amount of pressure/lbs.

I hope they sell millions of em’.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
aha. So it's the P99/PPQ with a LEM/DAK/DAO, hammer-fire system instead of a DA/SA or SAO.

So it's an HK P30? Pretty cool, but not small enough to replace my PPS as EDC, and probably doesn't have a nicer trigger than the P99 to replace it as my range gun.
:D Haha

I expect to see that to as the product description once released

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought Walther makes all of their guns only that S&W owns distribution rights in the united states. Even after Walther USA "separates" from S&W - it's still the same distributorship, meaning S&W. I think we're all hoping Walther/S&W customer service and parts availability improves (and availability of after-market parts become more readily available). In a lot of ways, I think there is a conflict of interest and wonder if S&W really wants Walther products to be successful and not compete against S&W products.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Once they seperate S&W will have nothing to do with Walther distribution as I understand it. Both Walther and S&W will be better off too.

61 - 80 of 351 Posts