Walther Forums banner

221 - 240 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I wonder if you could elaborate...what magazine problem? Availability? Build quality? Cost?
ROCKETMAN, I am curious, as well..

If you're talking about price as a problem, well, okay... Walther does not have factory mags for $25, nor do they have mags from China for $10, but considering what the PPQ offers, in it's price range? Well, I think a $50 factory magazine or a $25 mag that is identical (without Walther/PPQ markings, different finish, but function flawlessly) is reasonable.

The PPQ could demand a price of that similar to the HK P30, people would buy it. Imagine the scoffs if Glock even attempted to pull that, fanboys included.

If that wasn't what you were referring to, disregard the last paragraph, haha :D

·
Registered
61 Posts

If you're talking about price as a problem, well, okay... Walther does not have factory mags for $25, nor do they have mags from China for $10, but considering what the PPQ offers, in it's price range? Well, I think a $50 factory magazine or a $25 mag that is identical (without Walther/PPQ markings, different finish, but function flawlessly) is reasonable.

The PPQ could demand a price of that similar to the HK P30, people would buy it. Imagine the scoffs if Glock even attempted to pull that, fanboys included.

If that wasn't what you were referring to, disregard the last paragraph, haha :D
see post 220

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Magazines are disappearing for a reason.

I don't think many anticipated such success for the PPQ. The firestorm created through information sharing like forums, and youtube, no doubt contribute to that. I say give supply some time to catch up to demand.

I have a number of magazines, and am still well under the cost of an HK P30. Would more people buy the HK P30 at $900 if it came with 8 total magazines? They'd be lined up for hours! I know I would.

I'm not certain it's fair to categorize the PPQ a Glock, sure, cost is the same, but it is on a different level-- of course that is personal opinion.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't know about PPQ's or P99's but I can't believe that it's hard to find magazines for them. My LGS has 1 side of an isle filled with Walther magazines. They are all real in Walther packaging and they have them for every Walther on the market. I guess I'm lucky having a nice gun shop that has everything I could want.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Buy them and sell them at a significant mark-up, my friend.. sounds as if you're more likely to unearth the Arc than find PPQ mags :rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well let us see, the mags are $50 each:eek: which is at least twice the cost of the manufacturers I noted.

However, let's put the price off to the side for a second, there is a nationwide, man I hate to say shortage because that actually indicates that there are some available, there is a nationwide absence of magazines anywhere in CONUS:confused:

Many gun enthusiast prefer more than two mags:D
There is definitely a shortage because it is an awesome handgun.

Here is my take on it.
If you are looking for reliable range mags, them Magnum Research sells FA mags that are exactly like the PPQ ones without the coating at a very reasonable $30. Only $5 more than glock mags. Not bad in my opinion.
If you are a person that doesn't like the MR-FA mags because your life depends on it, then I understand wanting "official" Walther mags. My questions for those feeling this way (myself included) are:
1. How many of this type do you need?
2. Are really you concerned over $25 a magazine if your life depends on it.
I would rather pay $25 more per mag for the lifesaving tool that I feel comfortable and confident in, than another one that I feel less so with.

Personally I only need the 2 the pistol came with it for EDC.
I'll stick to the inexpensive MR-FA ones for the range, which by the way are extremly reliable for that too.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Personally I only need the 2 the pistol came with it for EDC.
I'll stick to the inexpensive MR-FA ones for the range, which by the way are extremly reliable for that too.
And really, why wouldn't you?! Appreciate the logic

·
Registered
178 Posts

I'm sorta with you. I do hear 'ROCKETMAN' and perhaps this is his personal experience but for me I didnt get my PPQ early, I actually got it some months ago when the prices fell to be price competitive with the usual suspect (glock, xd's, m&p's, etc) but I did not have a particular issue getting mags. I have 11, 5-standard and 6-17 (15+2)rounders. They cost approximately what my Sig mags cost which I'll readily admit is pricey ($50+ ea.).

I'm guessing that most 'normal' folks might own one or two extra mags in addition to the two that come standard. I can see grumbling about the cost but not to the point of deciding to not purchase that extra one. Then there is the baby desert eagle option as I hear told.

As for the H&K statement...well..I'm 'afeared' to say but I just bought a handful of P30 mags for about $33 each.

Fingers crossed for the aftermarket option.. I have gone the route of Mecgar mags for my CZ and 'other' Sig. They perform perfectly and have the added benefit of fitting one extra round when compared to the factory mag. Weird as Mecgar makes the factory mags for these guys....hmm..

Gentle-folk, get thee to 'grabagun.com'... no sales tax and free shipping and as splendid a pricing as I've seen anywhere. Walther mags in stock and available....(as are H&K P30 mags)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I wonder why Mec Gar does not sell aftermarket mags for Walthers, they indeed make mags for the PPQ and PPS, so why not sell them?

The Mec Gar mags for my CZ are every bit as good, if not better than original factory mags are.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bordering on hijacking the PPX thread...

- As stated and in direct response to the comments that the PPX could compete with other makers such as those I noted earlier...not going to happen with the same PPQ mag shortage.

- I prefer factory mags in 15/9mm and they are not available.

- Price is a non issue as they are not available. However, $50 is very pricey.

- Finally, Rocketman's logic dictates owning more than two factory mags..

·
Registered
693 Posts
What shortage?

There are dozens of Walther branded PPQ mags, even the 15+2 Navy ones, at my LGSs. PPS mags, P99 mags, PPK mags, etc. I can't throw a rock without hitting Walther stuff nowadays.

Just because they don't sell them out in the sticks somewhere doesn't mean there's a world-wide shortage.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
I wonder why Mec Gar does not sell aftermarket mags for Walthers, they indeed make mags for the PPQ and PPS, so why not sell them?

The Mec Gar mags for my CZ are every bit as good, if not better than original factory mags are.
Selling factory mags has to be a huge money maker for the manufacturers of any pistol. Mec-Gar undercutting Walther by selling their own mags with a lower price would probably destroy their relationship with Walther.

Mec-Gar makes the factory mags for the 99-series pistols.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
Bordering on hijacking the PPX thread...

- As stated and in direct response to the comments that the PPX could compete with other makers such as those I noted earlier...not going to happen with the same PPQ mag shortage.

- I prefer factory mags in 15/9mm and they are not available.

- Price is a non issue as they are not available. However, $50 is very pricey.

- Finally, Rocketman's logic dictates owning more than two factory mags..
I'd suggest a little more patience for the time being.

The handling of distribution of Walther products in the USA is about to change from S&W to Walther themselves. S&W probably isn't ordering anything to add to inventory and Walther Arms hasn't opened its doors yet.

This switch will only happen once. After the beginning of next year, supplies should be more widely available.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What shortage?

There are dozens of Walther branded PPQ mags, even the 15+2 Navy ones, at my LGSs. PPS mags, P99 mags, PPK mags, etc. I can't throw a rock without hitting Walther stuff nowadays.

Just because they don't sell them out in the sticks somewhere doesn't mean there's a world-wide shortage.
Well PM me and I'll call them in the morning. Thanks...Atlanta isn't exactly "the sticks"

I'd suggest a little more patience for the time being.
What is this patience you speak of?

·
Registered
372 Posts
It makes me wonder what this will do to mag prices. S&W didn't distribute Walther stuff for free and Walther still had to make a profit. Maybe cutting out S&W will drop prices. Or since S&W had distribution already in place, they're able to distribute for less than Walther can. At least at first.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It makes me wonder what this will do to mag prices. S&W didn't distribute Walther stuff for free and Walther still had to make a profit. Many cutting out S&W will drop prices. Or since S&W had distribution already in place, they're able to distribute for less than Walther can. At least at first.

I was just pondering this today while shooting the bull in a gunshop and have concluded that in order for it to be a success it needs a trigger pull more like a Glock and not like the failed SIG p250. Everything is riding on the PPX trigger pull. It will live or die by this one measure.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
How can the PPX possibly have a trigger pull like the striker fired Glock, when it's a hammer fired DAO?

Yes, it must have a good trigger pull, but it certainly cannot have a Glock like one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How can the PPX possibly have a trigger pull like the striker fired Glock, when it's a hammer fired DAO?

Yes, it must have a good trigger pull, but it certainly cannot have a Glock like one.
:confused:Yeah...what he said!

...And since when is the Sig P250 is a failed product:confused::confused:
The models out now are "fixed" from the first attempt those years back and I hear lots gushing about the smoothness of the trigger (albeit a 'true' DAO with a long pull and full reset). I know a few fellows with these models and they seem to have nothing but positive reports on them I also frequent the Sig forums and dont read much negative from those that post about them.

I've heard about the Dutch cancellation of the potentially great contract if it wasn't rejected but that doesn't seem to have stopped it's civilian appeal. They are selling from what I can tell and those that own them mostly seem to like them plenty. Gotta be honest...I hear mostly good things about them I just dont hear a lot of negative to give me any sense that they are a failed product. (not that I'm any authority mind you...let me be careful about getting too big for my britches..)

221 - 240 of 351 Posts