Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a SD model last week and went to the range to put some rounds through it. Put twenty rounds of some cheap target ammo into a target at fifteen meters and got a pretty good grouping. (this is the first actual handgun I've ever owned) This is where I'm probably going to get some grief. I had a muzzle break with me (yeah yeah go on)

2 Piece Muzzle Brake with Sound Director - Kineti-Tech

I figured the barrel came threaded and I just happened to have this laying around so lets see what happens...

Screwed the thing on and it caused a malfunction. I tried it both with the break cover on and with just the break screwed on and both times a malfunction. First thought "aww hell I broke it" I unscrewed the break and re-fired and it performed flawlessly. The Range safety, after calling me a "Mary" for putting a break on a pistol, informed me that the break probably took too much recoil out of it to cycle completely. Hmmm well what would a silencer do then? Hey look, I'm normally a rifle guy so cut me some slack. Its not like I'm going to take the weapon back or anything. I'm only wondering why thread the barrel in the first place? Also, another gentleman at the range informed me that I should just try a hotter round +p and such...but Walther says that isn't recommended. If it was a blender then I wouldn't care but I tend to listen to manufacturers when it comes to weapons.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Don't buy more expensive ammo just to make the gun work with a silly attachment on the front (BRAKE, nor BREAK).

The weapon works without the silly muzzle brake, perhaps you should run it in that configuration. As to exactly _why_ your muzzle brake doesn't work, I have no idea, although it might be obvious with weapon in hand.
It could be throwing off balance
You could just be lousy at recoil control with a handgun
It could be interfering with proper position of the barrel while in battery

I'm just guessing, you don't provide much detail beyond "malfunction"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mis-feed or incomplete feed. I will try to post pictures if I go back to the range tomorrow. This isn't that big of a deal I am mostly just curious. I was getting pretty fair groupings for a newbie pistol shooter without the brake, break, broke, thingy, gizmo, sissy-recoil-aid-device.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mis-feed or incomplete feed. I will try to post pictures if I go back to the range tomorrow. This isn't that big of a deal I am mostly just curious. I was getting pretty fair groupings for a newbie pistol shooter without the brake, break, broke, thingy, gizmo, sissy-recoil-aid-device.
The only thing junk like that aids is the weight of your wallet. Gimmicks make it lighter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken, Although I still am curious as to why they have a threaded barrel model? Is it really just for suckers like me? or will people actually suppress this weapon, and if so I wonder if it will still have the same malfunction.

FYI..the thread cap that comes with the weapon will spin off and go flying down the range with firing if you don't apply locktight.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Point taken, Although I still am curious as to why they have a threaded barrel model? Is it really just for suckers like me? or will people actually suppress this weapon, and if so I wonder if it will still have the same malfunction.

FYI..the thread cap that comes with the weapon will spin off and go flying down the range with firing if you don't apply locktight.
I'm sure people really will suppress them, but it will cost a lot more than $30.00 to do it.

No comment from me on the thread cap. That gun is way too ugly for me to own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait wait wait...you are saying...there are good looking Walther pistols???

Hey for 400 bones its a nice little pistol...well big pistol...ok huge pistol. But as I don't have much experience with handguns I cant compare it to anything other than an ancient ARMY 9mm.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Keep in mind that one man's beauty is another man's dog; firearms are not a one-size-fits-all proposition. And yeah, if you want to see a beautiful Walther, check out the PPK, or the P38, or the P5, or the P88C.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

A P5 to illustrate Searcher's point.

As to your particular issue, suppressors have a lot of thought and design expertise put into them by the reputable manufacturers, hence, they cost far more than $30. There are many videos online that show them working, and working well, with a variety of different pistols, and they all will be using subsonic rounds to do it properly.

And don't take the pic as a put down of the PPX. I rather like it actually, and it's even better looking when you consider it's price point.

Actually I've never found the polymer Walthers to be bad looking pistols at all. The P99 in particular has a very efficient modern industrial look to it.

Enjoy your PPX. It is a great entry ticket into the world of hand guns.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My opinion, muzzle brake or recoil reducer a waste of money for the PPX. Very minimal recoil in 9 mm. Now if you were that concerned over recoil, then you should look at a compensated barrel handgun. And can anyone feel the difference in compensated vs non comp. I can't. :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Wasn't concerned at all...just happened to have one lying around that fit the threads of the PPX. Just curious why it malfunctioned in the first place, and if it was something that would affect people that suppress the weapon in the future. I.E. why thread the barrel in the first place. Juuuuussstttt curious

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Well the muzzle break in the link has a 5/16" through hole.

5/16" = 7.93mm

On a pistol with a 9mm bore, this could be a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
And just remember to take off the thread protector before your range sessions...
That's what I do with my PPQ FE when I'm running the threaded barrel.

And the PPX is "scary ugly" not ugly at all. Beauty in function!
Is it as pleasing as the PP platform??? Well does that really matter if it accurately puts the round where you want if to go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like how it looks and feels. I don't have a wide basis for comparison with handguns yet but it seems easy to shoot and handles well. Now I gotta figure out how to adjust the rear sight...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts