Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here same problem. Just send it in to Walther today. Gandermtn will charge me for shipping later when Walther sends the plastic gun back. Hope it doesn't cost me a arm and a leg.

I've got the PPX since 7/1/14 and fired 180 rounds trough it without any problems. Saturday I went with friends to a public range and there I shot about 18 rd. Than klick, next klick, next klick. It loads just fine but the firing pin does not hit the primer at all.

Than try to put some oil on it. Ha- worked. 3 times boom and than klick, klick, klick.

I always said, Walther is the Volkswagen between the guns. Well - it looks like there were drastic changes in Germany since 1991. Nowadays good guns for the average guy are made by Smith and Wesson or coming from Austria.

As soon as the PPX comes back from Walter, it will be sold at the next gun show. Klick, klick is not a good answer when you live outside the city limits.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here same problem. Just send it in to Walther today. Gandermtn will charge me for shipping later when Walther sends the plastic gun back. Hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg..
It wouldn't have cost you anything had you contacted Walther and requested a pre-paid shipping label.

I've got the PPX since 7/1/14 and fired 180 rounds trough it without any problems. Saturday I went with friends to a public range and there I shot about 18 rd. Then klick, next klick, next klick. It loads just fine but the firing pin does not hit the primer at all.

Then try to put some oil on it. Ha- worked. 3 times boom and than klick, klick, klick...
So, obviously some sort of debris has obstructed the striker channel, preventing the firing pin from making contact with the primer 100% (it obviously works some of the time), and you put more oil in it.
Yeah, that probably had nothing to do with your subsequent failures to fire. /sarcasm

I always said, Walther is the Volkswagen between the guns. Well - it looks like there were drastic changes in Germany since 1991. Nowadays good guns for the average guy are made by Smith and Wesson or coming from Austria.
"Drastic changes"...Goodness. Cut the drama crap.
Because it's not as if S&W and Glock (or any other brand for that matter) ever have a lemon that leave the plant.
Heck, I wouldn't even call your's a lemon. There's probably metal shavings, powder fouling, brass shavings etc. in the striker channel that just need blown out with canned air and/or non-chloronated brake cleaner.
Probably accumulated because someone decided it was a smart idea to oil the striker channel.

"Volkswagen between the guns". What the heck does that even mean?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scott
You should never oil the firing pin channel. That area should be dry. That's not your problem obviously but just FYI for the future.
Hi Neighbor E-TX here.
Well - I knew that, - and there was no oil in it at first. But when you go out with the gun and friends to having fun and than you're grounded and find yourself as the designated driver watching others having fun than is a title oil in the pin chamber not realy much what I did to the junk.

Game warden on the range said: "Ummm a PPX hoo. Weeeellll we had som problems here with that guns. Better you get you some reliable gun"

Gandermtn on Sunday: "PPX Ummm, yea PPX we can ship this one to Walther too "

However I'm not a happy camper. I am not new to guns and I had Walther all my life. Actually I was born and raised in the neighborhood of Walther. It is a bad Idea to blame the customer. Walther is not since yesterday fully aware of the firing problem, that is unique to this model and changed absolutely nothing.
Right, - it is a smooth shooter and should be only in hands of experienced people, others could unintentionally fire.
A gun is as good as she fires. What does a Ferrari without a transmission help?

Sinnerboy61
It wouldn't have cost you anything had you contacted Walther and requested a pre-paid shipping label.
Great - only if I would know. You should made it as a sticky at the top of the PPX forum, so every new PPX owner can easy find it.
Sinnerboy61
So, obviously some sort of debris has obstructed the striker channel, preventing the firing pin from making contact with the primer 100%
Realy ! Like I said before blaming the customer is not helping at all.
Sinnerboy61
"Volkswagen between the guns". What the heck does that even mean?
I did not realy expect that you understand. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
East Texas here also.
Any clues what you might want instead? PPQ maybe?
No not realy. I didn't need the PPX. I bought it because I fall in love with that trigger.
I shoot with that trigger 30 rounds 60 feet distance in 60 seconds all in a circle of 3"-4".
Comparing with S&W SD9 same distance and time: 22 rounds and 7"-9" circle.

I don't know at the moment what to buy. Glockmeister and M&P are similar to my trigger modified SD9.

Will see what happen.
I still like to shoot my PPK and P 38. Both are growing on my hand. The P 38 belonged to my grandpa and I don't shoot them not so often anymore. Keep it in shape.
Checking at the moment on the PPQ.
Will see.

Do you have any Ideas in a range of not more than $600?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would be looking at the PPQ, HK VP9, M&P or the CZ P07. These have all been on my radar and can be had for under 600.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every brand has the occasional issue, but I'm curious why this is so apparently random.
Thats true. Random? I hear a lot about the PPX and the pin issue. Walther is aware of it. I wounder why Walther did not do something about it. It could not be cheap to pay all that shipping and handling in-house, not to forged totally unhappy customers.

IMHO the problem is not really the pin. The problem is that you can not take the firing pin out and clean the chamber. That would help for a lot of headaches.

Even if I don't put oil in it. Over time there will be a lot of stuff in the chamber. No doubt. And than it will misfire again. The question is how long it takes to fill the pin chamber with powder and debris until it misfires.
All this could be prevented when their would be a possibility to take that apart.

That's my reason to sell the gun. Even if it works like planned, the question is than how long, how many rounds does it need to cause a problem that only Walther or a expensive gunsmith can solve.
And what happen if I grab the gun in the home for HD and that thing makes only click?
A old Bersa 380 is better when it fires. There is nothing more dangerous during a home invasion than a gun that doesn't work and the bad guy can hear the click.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lots of drama here, folks, most of it unnecessary. If you have a faulty car, you get it fixed. Same with a firearm. If you buy a new VW and something is off, you don't take it to dealership, get it repaired, and then sell it at the next car show you see.

At least most of us don't, anyway.

As to the comments of range wardens, that's actually a pretty good hoot to start the day. If I had a dollar for every time a range official asked me why I wasn't shooting a Glock and, after seeing the performance of a P99 or a P5, asked me if he could give it a try for a couple of magazines, I might be able to afford a box of .22 ... if I ever see one again.

Guns are not a one-size-fits-all proposition. If the PPX isn't for you, that's OK. Move on and find happiness elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
searcher451
......Move on and find happiness elsewhere.
This is what I call a good advise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A few samples a statistic does not make. Ive owned a.few PPX guns now, none had an issue. That too doesn't make a statistic but until I see data points showing.X amount if.guns.made with Y amount of this specific problems, it's a.problem for a relatively small amount of owners. Falls into the standard category of lemons are made with every manufacturer. Besides, the net is the realm of clowns, jumping on bandwagons with little to no proof.

·
Premium Member
13,563 Posts
I don't have a PPX....just lots of PPQ's, P99's and SW99's. However I've looked at the exploded view for the PPX and see that it has a similar 'FPB' arrangement as the guns' I listed previously. I've seem a couple of postings on the PPQ thread describing a VERY similar Failure to Fire (no primer strike) problem as is being reported with a few PPX pistols. The first thing that pops into my pointed head is the FPB is not being depressed up into the slide....outta the way, providing a clear, unobstructed path for the striker. I've looked at plenty of PPQ's and have notice some variance in the alignment of the tab on the trigger bar and the ramp on the FPB. This is just a WAG, but I keep thinking if the tab on the trigger bar glides past the ramp instead of over the ramp, you're most certainly going to get a FTF and NO primer strike. Other than that.....I just don't know what could be blocking the path....krap in the striker channel....possible, but more than likely not. The alignment of he tab and the ramp can be easily checked on a PPQ, but since I don't have a PPX to fondle, I'm not sure if you're able to remove the magazine, shine a light down the mag hole and see the FPB. I really think it's an out of spec problem with a very small percentage of trigger bars, and the fix is just as simple....replace the trigger bar.

Again...just a WAG...and I could be completely wrong.....it's happened before.

·
Premium Member
13,563 Posts
Sounds reasonable. But why would it happen after a few hundred trouble-free rounds?
This answer is just another WAG. Maybe because the initial alignment was just barely enough to make it work and after a few hundred rounds, there was enough wear and tear to make this anomaly occur occasionally. Hey, it's just a WAG. I could be totally barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If someone will send me a pallet of ammo (about 20,000 rounds),
I can add another data point to this PPX test.

9mm is what's needed.

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my gun back today except it ain't the one I sent in.... They sent me a brand new one! Sweeeet.

I'm very pleased with Walther's service dept. They got it on monday, and the next monday it was on it's way to me.
The only thing is, I would liked to know what the problem was. I sent them an email and asked. I'll just have to wait and see if they reply....

21 - 40 of 178 Posts