Walther Forums banner

Walther PPS vs P99 AS

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Scar 
#1 ·
Have a Walther PPS .40, and very pleased with it. Want to get another CCW in 9MM, but not sure whether to get another PPS or look at the P99 AS (much harder to find). Interested in experience of others pls. Thx

#4 · (Edited)
I guess that depends on how big a gun you want to carry. I really like the slimness of the single stack, hardly notice it's there and can conceal so easily. My pps m2 shoots like a dream. It's also a couple hundred cheaper right now. But the P99 AS does have it's own advantages. I just picked up a H&K VP9 which is a 15 round double stack 4" but I carry the pps.

#6 ·
Not hard to find. They're back. There was a post a week or so ago about an online store having them for under 500. Grabagun has them For 500, and the usual suspects also have them at sightly above that pricerange as well.
Now is the time to buy, don't pass it up. Or ya might be waiting another year or two for the next batch to make it over here.

#7 ·
I've owned a PPQ M1 for several years now and really like it, but it's a bit large for concealed carry. I like the single stack handguns for CCW purposes, and find that the 3.2 or 3.3 inch barrel is easier for me to conceal than a 4 inch barrel. Haven't tried the VP 9 yet, but hear it's an outstanding weapon as well, but again, a bit too big for CCW for me. May just wait till the new CCW model hits the street to broaden my options.

#9 ·
The VP9 is fantastic. I Carried one for about two years, until the vp9sk was affordable. But yeah, there really isn't any difference in size between the vp9 as the PPQ 4 inch. So if you have one, you might as well just stay with what you have because the other is pretty negligible in size.
Different sights, different muzzle flip, and different ergos. And a difference in where the trigger breaks, with more travel at the reset. Still a fantastic shooter, and I love both of mine. But Walther gunners may not like the triggers as well as the PPQ or p99 triggers.

#10 ·
Many people claim the difference in size (most specifically, the thinness) between the P99AS and PPS are negligible. On paper that's true. However, owning both, I can tell you that in practice the difference is night/day if you're: a) a lean, small-framed individual (i.e. not fat/heavyset); b) someone who doesn't wear poorly-fitting (aka loose, baggy) clothes when carrying; c) someone who doesn't wear a cover garment while carrying; or d) any combination of the foregoing.

Dressing in business casual attire without a sport coat, I can make the PPS completely disappear with 4 o'clock IWB carry, but the P99 AS always prints when worn in the same position with the same clothing; it's the extra thickness. The only way I can make the P99 completely disappear with this mode of dress on my frame is to deep conceal it in a Kangaroo Carry rig that places it beneath the weak-side armpit between the bicep and torso … and the price I pay for that is super-slow draw speed. Also consider the added capacity of the P99 means added weight to carry (unless you don't load it fully, of course); I don't much care for it, as 6+1 9mm rounds is plenty for my self-defense needs.

I'm not willing to pay the price for the deep concealment, so my PPS Classic is still my EDC, even though I like the P99 AS's trigger better. I suggest you buy what suits your specific carry need relative to your frame/size and apparel habits. There's no right/wrong answer; there's only what's right for YOU!

#11 · (Edited)
Many people claim the difference in size (most specifically, the thinness) between the P99AS and PPS are negligible. On paper that's true.
I'm not willing to pay the price for the deep concealment, so my PPS Classic is still my EDC, even though I like the P99 AS's trigger better. I suggest you buy what suits your specific carry need relative to your frame/size and apparel habits. There's no right/wrong answer; there's only what's right for YOU!
This I agree except that the difference on paper is not negligible. The P99AS is 30% wider. That is a bunch.

I'm not willing to dress / buy clothes to fit my gun. My gun needs to fit my clothes and lifestyle. I'm thin and in shape, so a bulge is noticeable. My PPS M2 in a Clinger Stingray holster disappears in almost any clothes I have. I have a H&K VP9 that I can carry with heavier clothes, but even then, the PPS is so light and comparable, it's what I go to.

#12 ·
This I agree except that the difference on paper is not negligible. The P99AS is 30% wider. That is a bunch.
It only sounds like a bunch when expressed a percentage.

The listed widths on the Walther sites are as follows:

i.e. We're talking about 0.3 inches (aka 7.6mm). In absolute terms and on paper, this is a negligible number in most people's books. The point I was trying to make is that in combination with some people's frames and modes of dress … it is anything but negligible in relative terms.

#13 ·
I have both plus a P99c which solves the carry issue of it's bigger brother making it my go to EDC 99% of the time. I can carry it just like I can carry my PPS M2 but I also appreciate a thinner lighter gun at times but only a small fraction of the time.

#15 ·
Everyone is different, but my single stack 9s pretty much disappear when I carry them. Double stacks do not.

I love my P99 AS compact, but on my belt it feels very little different than does my PPQs or Glock 19s. For me and many others it is the width that counts big time. And Yes, that difference in width between PPS and the P99 is a real noticeable difference, especially for someone lean like me and Bassackwards.

For me, coat or jacket weather equates to a double stack 9mm handgun. Warm weather equates to a single stack 9mm. Your own opinion may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.