Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search in the Walther area with no luck finding any info or anyone talking about the PPS. I recently was at a gun show and couldn't believe how the P99 felt in my hands. I didn't have opportunity to hold a PPS, but am interested to know if it has the same feel as the P99. I am looking for a small 40 conceal carry weapon and the PPS has only a 1 inch profile, so its nice and small.

Any thoughts? experience?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did a search in the Walther area with no luck finding any info or anyone talking about the PPS. I recently was at a gun show and couldn't believe how the P99 felt in my hands. I didn't have opportunity to hold a PPS, but am interested to know if it has the same feel as the P99. I am looking for a small 40 conceal carry weapon and the PPS has only a 1 inch profile, so its nice and small.

Any thoughts? experience?
I have a PPS IN 9MM I also have the PPQ IN 9MM I love them both, but I can't help thinking the PPS could be a bit snappy in 40 have you thought about the PPQ SC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you’re stuck on the 40, I second the above. The PPS M2 is an awesome gun though. It’s supposed to be slim. PP Slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’ve never shot the pps in .40, but have thousands of rounds through my 9mm. I can say, and others have also that although the pps is comfortable to hold when shooting a lot of rounds at the range a rubber grip sleeve makes it more comfortable. I’d imagine it would be more so with the .40. I’ve shot the p99 in .40 ad a range rental and it’s not bad at all. There’s one that was listed with multiple mags on here. It’s new and never shot. If it was 9mm I would’ve picked it up.

The p99 has a little bit longer grip then the ppq sc and allows just about all 3 fingers as opposed the ppq sc which leaves my pinky hanging

·
Registered
190 Posts
I carry a PPS M1 in 40sw and enjoy shooting that round through the gun in 180 grain loads. I will say I have a decent amount of experience shooting 40sw so I’m not sensitive to the recoil characteristic. If you’re a relatively new shooter you’re probably not going to like shooting 40sw in that platform or any other really.

I also own a PPS M2 and just bought last week a used PPS M1 in 9mm. They are very easy to shoot and extremely accurate in 9mm.

The P99C feels good in my hand also, but I can get a better purchase on the PPS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got a PPS M2 about eighteen months ago as a carry gun. I had primarily shot a 1911 full sized frame forever. I was accustomed to shooting it, but it always felt bulky as a concealed carry weapon.

At first, I disliked almost everything about the smaller PPS. The trigger seemed wrong somehow. The sights didn't line up the same way the 1911 sights lined up. The shorter barrel seemed less accurate. It only carried about one half the number of rounds the 1911 carried. It doesn't have a manual safety.

After shooting a few thousand rounds through the PPS over about eighteen months, I will never go back to a full sized frame. I can no longer find any faults with the PPS. The problems were not with the pistol. The problems were all mine. I simply had to train my body and my mind to shoot it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a PPS M2 about eighteen months ago as a carry gun. I had primarily shot a 1911 full sized frame forever. I was accustomed to shooting it, but it always felt bulky as a concealed carry weapon.

At first, I disliked almost everything about the smaller PPS. The trigger seemed wrong somehow. The sights didn't line up the same way the 1911 sights lined up. The shorter barrel seemed less accurate. It only carried about one half the number of rounds the 1911 carried. It doesn't have a manual safety.

After shooting a few thousand rounds through the PPS over about eighteen months, I will never go back to a full sized frame. I can no longer find any faults with the PPS. The problems were not with the pistol. The problems were all mine. I simply had to train my body and my mind to shoot it.
Does the trigger get better after time? I hate my PPS M2 trigger.... mainly, the reset is not tactile at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does the trigger get better after time? I hate my PPS M2 trigger.... mainly, the reset is not tactile at all.
Stock triggers seem to be all over the map on these. At least that's the impression I get from some of the comments I read. The reset will not get more tactile with use. It is what it is. The action may smooth out though. I personally find the trigger more than acceptable for defensive use. I outshoot my G19 with it when it comes to accuracy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My PPS trigger feels like I'm dragging it through gravel. Worst trigger I have ever had on any of my 3 or 4 dozen guns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Funny, when I purchased my as new PPS M1, I compared the trigger to the M2 next to it. My M1 had a far superior trigger vs the M2. GARY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stock triggers seem to be all over the map on these. At least that's the impression I get from some of the comments I read. The reset will not get more tactile with use. It is what it is. The action may smooth out though. I personally find the trigger more than acceptable for defensive use. I outshoot my G19 with it when it comes to accuracy.
Thanks for the info. I might have to look into an Apex for it..... if they make it

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
My 2007 .40 PPS has a much better trigger than my 2013 9mm, and the niner was sent back to Fort Smith for an unrelated issue. Still hasn't gotten to the smoothness of the older one, and never will, but for it's intended usage, it's more than fine. If I want the sweet smooth trigger, I just grab the PPQ.

I mean, you can haul wood in a Ferrari, but if you have an F-150, then....yeah. ;)

That said, I think the PPS is the most underrated defense single stack out there, until that is, the arrival of the M2. Now it's just another...oh, hey, me too, pistol. No rail, no means of decocking.

C'mon Walther, you take a proven design and dumb it down for the unwashed (m)asses.... FML.

:D

Reactions: Eric357
1 - 13 of 13 Posts