Walther Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed that some posters have mentioned their PPS has shot low. I have not shot my PPS yet because I can't find 9MM ammo locally.:mad: But I was intrigued by the following post which indicates (at least for the Walther P99) that sight picture #3 therein is the correct aim. Does anyone know if sight picture #3 also applies to the PPS?

The Firing Line Forums - View Single Post - Walther P99 and PPQ comparison
[/FONT][/FONT]
Good post--I'd like to know the answer as well...I'm also a new PPS owner and am waiting for weather and range time to get out and try it out...I'll know the answer to your question soon enough, so when I get some range time in I'll get back to you if no one else has :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I aim mine the same way I aim my HKs - "cover hold" - meaning you shoot the dot in the front sight (well, you cover what you want to shoot with the dot in the front sight).
Seems to work for me at defensive ranges, though I haven't seen the definitive word on how these guns are zeroed.

It's a short range practical defensive pistol... at practical ranges, there's really no practical difference... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that the backstrap safety is overkill.
However, I have had my PPS since 2008. It's a 40 S&W with AC prefix. I have put abou 1000 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. It works better than my Colt series 70 or my High Power ever did. It's more accurate than either of those as well. In my book it's been perfect. I throw it in a thin IWB clip on DeSantis holster and you don't even realize it's on me. Keep it lubed and shoot it a couple times a month. Love mine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Candidate: 9mm PPS lightly used (BC with test fire date 10/2012) locally purchased.

Ammo used: Speer Lawman (50), Federal range ammo (100), WWB (50) all 115 grain.

Targets range: 5-7 yards.

After cleaning, went to range yesterday for first time experience. Here are my impressions:

1. Not a single failure. Ran smooth like butter.

2. Accurate as long as I do my part. I mostly wanted to see how it ran and how it felt, so didn't aim as carefully. However, it's accuracy was noticeable which was a huge surprise, as this being such a small gun.

3. Adding to above: because of such slim design, found that trigger placement that I use (finger pad) disrupts my hold and I find myself shooting about 2 inches right. After investigating, I see that there is about 1/2 inch gap on my strong hold if I use pad of my finger (using large back strap). While dry firing it was not really noticeable, but actual shooting makes a difference. Ordered Limb Saver to see if it can fill in enough to help hold and accuracy.

note: Using first joint for trigger pull produced very good results. Really showed how accurate this gun can be. However, rather than retrain my muscle memory I'll try Limb Saver to see how it fares. In a true emergency, I'll no doubt use pad of finger rather than joint.

4. Ate up 3 different range ammo, no issues. Currently out of expendable JHP ammo to test.

5. Smooth light recoil. I've read from here and other forums that it's recoil is harsh. Nonsense! It's smooth as butter, and I can run this gun all day. After 200 rds session, no discomfort at all.

6. NO trigger discomfort. I'm glad (and lucky) to find that I have no discomfort from trigger design after 200 rds.

7. Combat sights: Sight picture is same as PX4 Compact that I currently EDC. Love the big 3 dots.

Initial impression: 99.9% satisfied, it's worth every penny (bought used $550, 150 rds Speer Lawman, Desantis Cozy partner IWB). Hope that limb saver would save me from my personal accuracy "problem".

I'll recommend this to anyone who's looking for compact EDC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds like i'm on the right track with mine.
$675 shipped (NY is getting crazy).
used.
crossbreed holster.
two sets of night sights, one installed.
6, 7 and 8 round mags
galco ankle holster
case, all papers/manual
can't wait to get her to the range.
Great compliment to the G19.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Great article by DMARS. Any recommendation for dry lube brand for guide rod?
With or W/O PTFE?
Thanks.
Plenty of good dry lubricants on the market. The one I use is DriSlide Multi-Purpose Dry Lubricant made by Valspar. Teflon Dry lube is great. Just made sure it is approved for use on plastics and metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I removed all of the manufacturer's grease from my brand new PPS 9mm last night & FrogLubed the hell out of the sumb*tch & had 200 trouble free rounds this morning.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks J Madera

That is one nice flock of Walthers!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a new PPS and immediately had a problem with the slide not fully loading a round. If I pushed on the back of the slide with my thumb it fully chambered the round. I field stripped my PPS and found it to be dry as a bone so, I cleaned & oiled with CLP and then did a function test and it worked perfectly. I also bought 4, 8-round magazines to go with the 7 & 8 round the PPS shipped with. I agree that the springs in all of my PPS magazines are insanely strong (much, much stronger than my PPQ) and I almost couldn't load the last round manually. I feel the problem I had was due to the strong magazine springs pushing up on the round being chambered and the rim of the chambering round was slowed down by the next round in the magazine. Oiling the PPS took that problem away, mostly. Never had a new gun that was so tight and shipped so lacking in lube.
Thanks a lot for your post, very helpful and informative.

·
Registered
51 Posts
CFPiepora, i'm having similar issues with mine first time out (i had cleaned and lubed it) and will try to put grease on the disconnector. Is your failure to return to battery problem still manifesting itself? Do you think it is a mag spring issue or a disconnector or striker issue?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Chiming in to show some love for the PPS classic. It's my main single stack carry gun.

My only complaint is about the really dumb designed backstrap disabling feature. In theory this could cause a serious or catastrophic failure if the gun were to be dropped hard on concrete during a struggle or running. Or it could be removed and misplaced or thrown away by accident. Anything to render the gun inoperable like this is stupid. A cable lock is sufficient to make the gun safe from kids.

My work-around on that to more securely keep the part there is to use a small section of bicycle rubber inner tube cut into a sleeve and slid on the grip. Adds nice tactile feel without adding thickness. Looks fine and holds the grip on more securely. I suppose the grip could also be super-glued if one were to be really worried.

·
Registered
230 Posts
there are two types of gun owners in the world. Those who have had negligent discharges and those who will.

that is absolutely BS, maybe you had one and trying to make a fan club, I've been handling firearms since I was 14, I'm 67 now and never came even close to have a ND, and I won't.

on the PPS take mag out, clear the chamber, and take it down like a Glock or MP don't wear out the back strap, do you see other guns with it ? even Walther omitted the removable back strap on the PPS M2, that tell you something doesn't it ?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts