Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
So far my pps40 has been flawless (abit i got it 2 days ago). But it will not get near the round count my other pistols get. My 1911 is at 26,000 rounds and counting. With 25,800 of them without a SINGLE malfunction. A freshen up and its now 1k without a malfunction. What happened at 25,800ish was the original mags had weak springs and a slight geometry problem with the feed ramp that showed up. It never jammed with me but every time i let my cousin shoot it is would have a FTF ever 5-6 rounds, He would hand it back to be and i would shoot 100+ and be fine then it would jam on him. The verdict...limp wresting. There was a slight problem with the gun and after I fixed it, it did not FTF on him ever again. But almost 26K rounds. Is great in my book.. BTW I am in LOVE with 1911's There is nothing they can't do.

I would bet money that 90% of the jam problems are due to limp wresting. Little guns are SUPER sensitive to limp wresting. The 9mm would be more so due to less recoil impulse.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
How does one clean and field strip the PPS without taking the backstrap off as Dmars stated? I start to take the slide off but can't until I remember to remove the backstrap.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just replaced the original "PPS Observations" with the most current version.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks, something very simple. I'm just getting use to this style, all my others have the external hammer.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"PPS Observations"
I have read this over a few times and was very instrumental of my understanding of my PPS. Thanks again for posting this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Please make this thread a sticky

Please make this thread a sticky. How do we do that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a new gun owner and I bought the PPS specifically because of the back strap safety feature. I like the fact that I can lock the strap way separately from the pistol and know that one of my clever grandchildren has a non-functioning gun if they were to find it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Older Magazine Issue

I'm working out some bugs on my used PPS .40 and found out one of my issues.Similar to the slide stop issue is the issue of undersized or maybe a pre update mag follower. My mag followers are about 50 thousandths narrower than my friend's PPS .40 mag. Here's a pic of what's happening to my undersized follower.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6...a0b528e0a7.jpg

magflwrissue by paulsecondino, on Flickr

You can see that the narrow follower is not really catching the catch pin of the slide stop.Rather, the follower sneaks past the pin most of the time.We also found a difference in the magazine itself that is causing some ejection issues.I will update this post as I take pictures and will get some more measurements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New guy here, and just picked up a PPS 9mm AK today, hopefully get to put a few boxes through it tomorrow. Obviously don't have some of the indepth information to download that others have contributed, but my initial observations. A bit of background: been into firearms for 30 years, always had a few nice ones and shoot regularly. I currently have: P7M8, P245, G27, Browning HP, an older Les Bear 'commanche' LW. The P7 was my CCW piece, but I have a feeling that if the PPS performs like I expect, it will be suplanted. Like most 'gun guys' I'm a gadget guy (watches, stereo, cars, furniture, etc.), and detail oriented much to my wifes chagrin.

Fit & finish is as good as I've seen: lettering, lines, moulding; really fine work. Slide to frame and barrel to slide are tight. Controls are solid: slide release, takedown catches.

Ergonomics: I thought nothing could feel better than my P7 or the HP (a REALLY good handling weapon), but so far, with the large caveat of not shooting it yet, it feels great: points nicely, good grip, low in the hand, easy to grasp and good sights. Tried the larger backstrap, but the smaller feels better, and I have average to large hands, not small. Thin and smooth, should be a good carry. This is with the 7 rnd mag, the only one it came with, going to fix that tommorow and buy two 6 rounders. Also may get night sights: either the factory ones or some XS BigDot (I know, love 'em or hate 'em).

Design: Nice mag release, trigger is OK for a combat weapon. The pistol has really nice lines, a function > form appearance, but good looking none the less.

It's the first weapon I've bought in 10 years or so, and so far, I'm impressed and have no regrets. But the proof will be in the shooting.

As far as a holster, like most I've run the gambit and have a box full for various weapons. I prefer strongside IWB 4-5 o'clock carry. I like soft suede el cheapo holsters (oh gawd no!!!, lol) that I have modified for some cant and to ride a bit higher, and trimmed off all excess material. Can't reholster easily (I have some 'good ones', Rosen, Sparks, etc. for the range) but if I pull reholstering probably won't be real important: I'll be lying prone, either shot, or with the gun unloaded on the ground in front of me after having shot (I pray I contend with neither) at/or hit someone waiting for the law to arrive. having said that, I'll probably get a DeSantis sof-tuck or one of the Tucker Cover-Ups for the PPS.

So thanks for sharing the forum and all the good information it contains. With stuff like this available it makes it much easier to make a good decision.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's a fine post, with a great deal of excellent detail. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the PPS with us. The real test will be on the range, of course, so be sure and give us your perspective once you get back from a 200-round test-drive; that's where the rubber meets the road. It's also the great deal-closer for most every Walther fan on this forum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rather than start a thread I'll post my experience and observations here.

I have and carry a Glock 26. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch. I had a G19 and traded it so the 26 is my only Glock. I have no problem concealing it, I have no complaints about it. I shoot it well and have even shot it in IDPA. For my specific needs and from a completely practical point of view, it's just about a perfect firearm.

I'm fond of "metal" guns, mostly Sig, but I needed a good carry pistol. Back when I did my research I felt the PPS to be too expensive especially compared to the Glock. That was a few years ago. My G26 and I have been getting along just fine since then.

I'm a lefty and I learned to operate the mag release with my left middle finger. I'm very comfortable with this technique and it's never presented any issues. One day I started to daydream while aimlessly surfing the web and wondered about more "lefty friendly" options. I happened upon the PPS and noticed the price had dropped significantly. I started to reason that the paddle release would be great for a lefty and next thing I know I had talked myself into a complete impulse purchase. At under $500 delivered I couldn't resist!

After I placed my order I started to have regrets. I saw that the PPS is almost exactly the same size as the G26 but holds less rounds. I started to feel like maybe I had made a big mistake. I found this forum and read lots of positive info that helped me to chill out a bit. I figured at this point it made sense to take delivery of the gun and give it a try. I wasn't too optimistic that it would provide anything I wasn't already getting with the Glock though. But I figured I could always sell it.

I've only had the PPS for a month and a half but I've had a lot of opportunity to get acquainted with it.
This won't come as a surprise to anyone here but I really LOVE this gun! Shopping for guns on paper and on screen is limiting because specs only tell you so much. A gun is such a tactile purchase it needs to be held, holstered, fired. Yes on paper the PPS appears very similar in size and form to the G26. In real life they are apples and oranges different. I'm very glad to find that for me there is no redundancy in owning both. They compliment each other well but are different animals. I suppose I was concerned that I would have to choose between them. Instead I now have 2 carry gun choices in a size that works very well for my purposes.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm not really fond of decaf :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rather than start a thread I'll post my experience and observations here.

I have and carry a Glock 26. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch. I had a G19 and traded it so the 26 is my only Glock. I have no problem concealing it, I have no complaints about it. I shoot it well and have even shot it in IDPA. For my specific needs and from a completely practical point of view, it's just about a perfect firearm.

I'm fond of "metal" guns, mostly Sig, but I needed a good carry pistol. Back when I did my research I felt the PPS to be too expensive especially compared to the Glock. That was a few years ago. My G26 and I have been getting along just fine since then.

I'm a lefty and I learned to operate the mag release with my left middle finger. I'm very comfortable with this technique and it's never presented any issues. One day I started to daydream while aimlessly surfing the web and wondered about more "lefty friendly" options. I happened upon the PPS and noticed the price had dropped significantly. I started to reason that the paddle release would be great for a lefty and next thing I know I had talked myself into a complete impulse purchase. At under $500 delivered I couldn't resist!

After I placed my order I started to have regrets. I saw that the PPS is almost exactly the same size as the G26 but holds less rounds. I started to feel like maybe I had made a big mistake. I found this forum and read lots of positive info that helped me to chill out a bit. I figured at this point it made sense to take delivery of the gun and give it a try. I wasn't too optimistic that it would provide anything I wasn't already getting with the Glock though. But I figured I could always sell it.

I've only had the PPS for a month and a half but I've had a lot of opportunity to get acquainted with it.
This won't come as a surprise to anyone here but I really LOVE this gun! Shopping for guns on paper and on screen is limiting because specs only tell you so much. A gun is such a tactile purchase it needs to be held, holstered, fired. Yes on paper the PPS appears very similar in size and form to the G26. In real life they are apples and oranges different. I'm very glad to find that for me there is no redundancy in owning both. They compliment each other well but are different animals. I suppose I was concerned that I would have to choose between them. Instead I now have 2 carry gun choices in a size that works very well for my purposes.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm not really fond of decaf :D
Glad you love it too! Mine is my carry piece now as well! I went into my LGS and wasn't even looking into Walthers. I went in looking at everything but Walthers to tell you the truth. As soon as the salesman put it into my hand it was over and bought. Since then, I do believe that it has me turned into a Walther fan. I just bought the PPQ in 9mm (which if you haven't fired yet, you definitely should!). I love love love the PPQ! When I get my holster shipped to me, depending on how it fits, it may be my occasional carry gun as well. At some point I plan on possibly purchasing the P99, and/or maybe another PPQ, but in .40 version.

Anyway, enjoy the PPS! It rocks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since then, I do believe that it has me turned into a Walther fan. I just bought the PPQ in 9mm (which if you haven't fired yet, you definitely should!). I love love love the PPQ! When I get my holster shipped to me, depending on how it fits, it may be my occasional carry gun as well.
I picked up my PPQ eight days after I took delivery of my PPS :cool: I can tell you I didn't see that coming. So my PPS has been my carry and my PPQ will make it's IDPA debut this month. I'll probably carry it as well.

The other guns in the safe are scratching their heads wondering what happened. All of a sudden these Walthers moved in and took over!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I picked up my PPQ eight days after I took delivery of my PPS :cool: I can tell you I didn't see that coming.

The other guns in the safe are scratching their heads wondering what happened. All of a sudden these Walthers moved in and took over!
It is amazing, three and half years ago my safe contained no Walthers, now I have four and after recently handling a PPQ, what a sweet handgun, I may add more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is amazing, three and half years ago my safe contained no Walthers, now I have four and after recently handling a PPQ, what a sweet handgun, I may add more.
Which Walthers do you have? And which should be my next one? :) P99? Or maybe a PPQ in .40? Or is there another recommendation? With the new P22 coming out, I may look into it even!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up my PPQ eight days after I took delivery of my PPS :cool: I can tell you I didn't see that coming. So my PPS has been my carry and my PPQ will make it's IDPA debut this month. I'll probably carry it as well.

And that's almost how it went down with my PPS to PPQ. It was a couple weeks before I picked up the PPQ after my PPS, but it wasn't long. I think I just made myself lust after it a little longer to try to find some bad reviews... But I couldn't find any "bad" reviews. An occassional stovepipe within the first 200 rounds, but the persons were not blaming the pistol, just the ammo. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Which Walthers do you have? And which should be my next one? :) P99? Or maybe a PPQ in .40? Or is there another recommendation? With the new P22 coming out, I may look into it even!
I own two Walther PPS .40's, a P-38 and a SP22 M3. My next Walther would probably be a PPQ.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I personally don't care for the PPS, chiefly because of the trigger system. I do have a P99 which is mostly small enough anyway. However, I'd like to address the "break-in period" issues.

It used to be true that cars used to have a break-in period but I see no reason a firearm needs one. If it does, they should do that at the factory. In point of fact, I believe that CZ has such a system, although it is, I believe, intended to produce a better (if not superior) trigger pull. DA or SA, I don't know and likewise, I don't know if all their models go through the same process. Whether or not such a process exists or not is another matter but I've heard it described as basically a mechanical cycling of their pistols, over and over. Even so, it isn't something intended to get the product out the door faster.

It is a pity that cost is such an important factor, though it always has been. I don't know where you folks see those new $500 pistols. I don't see them in the places I go. There are, however, still beautifully finished firearms around, each and every one an old design and they are all very expensive. The least expensive new Colt that I know of is at least $850 and that's with black sidewalls and no ashtray.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts