Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, noticed after taking my Walther PPS M2 pistol down for cleaning that the recoil spring is very close to the edge of the guide rod on the muzzle end. I do not know if this is normal or not. It may have always been like this. The springs seems to be tight on the guide rod. The pistol goes back together and seems to function fine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Your recoil spring is exactly set as intended by Walther. It is exactly like mine and 1,000 + rounds have been fired that way. Enjoy the gun, and do not overthink its parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your recoil spring is exactly set as intended by Walther. It is exactly like mine and 1,000 + rounds have been fired that way. Enjoy the gun, and do not overthink its parts.
Thanks! I was a bit worried. I tried looking at pictures and videos to compare to but couldn’t tell. I’m really enjoying the gun. Most accurate and best feeling single stack I have shot. My first Walther as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before posting this thread I sent Walther an E-Mail describing what I saw. They said it is riding high, and want me to try to pull it down. Then they want me to see if there is any damage to the plastic and report back. I only have 50 rounds through the gun. Is there a problem with Walthers guide rods regarding the PPS M2? Never read anything after doing my research before buying.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Before posting this thread I sent Walther an E-Mail describing what I saw. They said it is riding high, and want me to try to pull it down. Then they want me to see if there is any damage to the plastic and report back.
If you included the photo in your email to Walther I suggest you call them and request a replacement. They already declared an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you included the photo in your email to Walther I suggest you call them and request a replacement. They already declared an issue.
I, will probably end up doing that and I did include a photo and video. I'm not mad, but I figured they would just have said we will send you a replacement. In the end though I want a replacement because who knows what underlying problem there is with this. If they wont send me one, I will tell them I want to buy one.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I, will probably end up doing that and I did include a photo and video. I'm not mad, but I figured they would just have said we will send you a replacement. In the end though I want a replacement because who knows what underlying problem there is with this. If they wont send me one, I will tell them I want to buy one.

I would suggest you insist on a replacement and give no indication that you are prepared to purchase one. Remind them of their Lifetime Warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I, tried to pull the spring back like the gun tech said to do in the email and it didn’t work. I didn’t see any damage to the end of the guide rod either. I emailed them back and will wait to see what they say. I hope they end up sending me a replacement guide rod assembly under their warranty. I attached a few more pics to get a better look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I must apologise to the OP for my post#2 above. When I saw his photo it appeared OK to me (old eyes). When I read the continuation of the tread and saw his newly posted photos I enlarged them and saw that the spring is incorrectly seated. I have attached a photo of my assembly to show the difference.

Springs are heat treated and they tend to hold their configuration due to the set in the heat treated wire. No way will that spring ever stay in proper place even if it is forced into place. I wild politely demand a new one.

Mention that you posted here, and you hope to be able to inform all of us that Walther CS came through. It is a spring so a bit of pressure is warranted.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I must apologise to the OP for my post#2 above. When I saw his photo it appeared OK to me (old eyes). When I read the continuation of the tread and saw his newly posted photos I enlarged them and saw that the spring is incorrectly seated. I have attached a photo of my assembly to show the difference.

Springs are heat treated and they tend to hold their configuration due to the set in the heat treated wire. No way will that spring ever stay in proper place even if it is forced into place. I wild politely demand a new one.

Mention that you posted here, and you hope to be able to inform all of us that Walther CS came through. It is a spring so a bit of pressure is warranted.
No need to apologize. The photos are hard to look at especially when trying to look at that particular area. I appreciate the help from you and the other posters above. Thank you for posting that picture. I can clearly tell what it should look like. Poor thing is I may have come across some pictures and Youtube videos where theirs are out of place as well and they don't know it. Your right that spring will not stay in place. It is formed that way and goes back to the shape it is. No matter what I did it would not stay. I'm waiting on my email from them today. I will let you guys know what they say.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I, tried to pull the spring back like the gun tech said to do in the email and it didn’t work. I didn’t see any damage to the end of the guide rod either. I emailed them back and will wait to see what they say. I hope they end up sending me a replacement guide rod assembly under their warranty. I attached a few more pics to get a better look.
It will be interesting to see whether the email communication route actually works......most of us have used direct phone calls to resolve issues like yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny thing is I had a Glock 43 before the PPS M2 and the recoil spring failed me in it. I, never mess with the springs or recoil rod when taking the gun down to clean. I do apply a little oil to them from time to time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I, received an email back from Walther and it states:

" While cycling, due to the forces on the spring, they may expand a bit and start to ride over. If it hasn't damaged the edge then there wont be an issue, but if its started to damage the edge, it may begin to ride over more and may eventually cause a problem."

So at first the gun tech said its riding high and indicating it shouldn't be like that and now he said its not an issue as long as it hasn't caused any damage. I, cant believe that is acceptable. Really disappointed in with Walther.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
That is an absurd reply. I suggest you write back and get testy. I took the liberty to write what I would answer if I had the same problem. use it if you wish.

Dear ??????,

You replied to my expressed concern by writing:

" While cycling, due to the forces on the spring, they may expand a bit and start to ride over. If it hasn't damaged the edge then there wont be an issue, but if its started to damage the edge, it may begin to ride over more and may eventually cause a problem."

I am on the edge of offended by your reply You basically said that the spring is out of proper position but it has not caused damage yet. Then you state the obvious that it might be a problem in the future. Effectively, you are saying that I should suck it up since the problem I might have due to a defect is of no concern because it has not gotten worse. My PPS M2 is a self defense gun so my life could depend upon it.

What would you say if your car mechanic said your brakes were out of tolerance and might be problem in the future. Would you insist that he fix the brakes or take your chances? I want a new recoil assembly. I posted this problem on Waltherforums.com and the Walther owners are waiting to hear how this gets resolved.

I await a decision, If it is a NO, then send me your supervisor’s email address so I do not have to call him, which I will do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is an absurd reply. I suggest you write back and get testy. I took the liberty to write what I would answer if I had the same problem. use it if you wish.

Dear ??????,

You replied to my expressed concern by writing:

I am on the edge of offended by your reply You basically said that the spring is out of proper position but it has not caused damage yet. Then you state the obvious that it might be a problem in the future. Effectively, you are saying that I should suck it up since the problem I might have due to a defect is of no concern because it has not gotten worse. My PPS M2 is a self defense gun so my life could depend upon it.

What would you say if your car mechanic said your brakes were out of tolerance and might be problem in the future. Would you insist that he fix the brakes or take your chances? I want a new recoil assembly. I posted this problem on Waltherforums.com and the Walther owners are waiting to hear how this gets resolved.

I await a decision, If it is a NO, then send me your supervisor’s email address so I do not have to call him, which I will do.
I like it! I’m going to use it and make some edits. Thank you for typing that up. I, just can’t believe they won’t send me a new recoil spring assembly. Walther seems really stingy. Are they normally like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I like it! I’m going to use it and make some edits. Thank you for typing that up. I, just can’t believe they won’t send me a new recoil spring assembly. Walther seems really stingy. Are they normally like this?

I have never had to use Walther CS, but I suspect that the CS reps are not fine tuned on the notion of customer service. They have to come to learn that rejecting the replacement part could cost Walther a customer for life. I put the info re the forum to turn up the heat. Keep the pressure on.

Let us know how you make out. If they reject you, I am going tot write to CS and tell them I might sell my PPS M2 and move to a different brand because I see CS as critical on a lifetime warranted gun. More heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only time the end of the recoil assembly supports the spring is when the pistol is field stripped. The rest of the time, the spring is slightly compressed and not even resting on the end, that captures, the spring. You don't even have to have the end on the guide rod for the pistol to function, it just makes assembly and disassembly easier. FWIW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have never had to use Walther CS, but I suspect that the CS reps are not fine tuned on the notion of customer service. They have to come to learn that rejecting the replacement part could cost Walther a customer for life. I put the info re the forum to turn up the heat. Keep the pressure on.

Let us know how you make out. If they reject you, I am going tot write to CS and tell them I might sell my PPS M2 and move to a different brand because I see CS as critical on a lifetime warranted gun. More heat.

I will report back with what they say. I hope they do the right thing and send me a fully captured guide rod assembly on their behalf and Lifetime Warranty. They better not ask me to pay for one either. I, feel it is totally unacceptable to have an un-captured guide rod spring when it’s supposed to be captured and that be ok. That is not how that gun was designed to operate or they wouldn’t have made the guide rod assembly like they did. Something is out of spec on there end. Depending on how this is handled will determine if I will remain a Walther customer and PPS M2 owner. 1942bull Thank you for sticking with me and for the support through this.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
The only time the end of the recoil assembly supports the spring is when the pistol is field stripped. The rest of the time, the spring is slightly compressed and not even resting on the end, that captures, the spring. You don't even have to have the end on the guide rod for the pistol to function, it just makes assembly and disassembly easier. FWIW.
Maybe I am missing some information, but I suggest that when the gun is fired the spring is forced backward as the slide moves reward. It happens so that the recoil assembly not only absorbs recoil but also returns the slide to firing position.

At the end of the slide rearward movement the spring is compressed, and then it expands forward as tension is released. it stops moving forward when it encounters the guide rod front flange.

We might val that encounter a sudden stop under force.And that force is striking a plastic flange which can absorb the stress because the spring coil is making full contact with the flange.

In the OP's case the spring coil is not making the intended contact. instead it is pressing on the edge of the plastic flange. So there is metal spring under tension pressing on the side edge of the flange.

In time that has to put wear on the flange. How much wean and what is the cumulative damage? I do not know, but I do know it should not happen. It would not be as concerning if it were a metal guide rod and flange, but it is plastic.

Now imagine the spring eroding the flange to the point that it gets between the flange and the frame opening into which the assembly fits. I do not want to be firing that gun.

I really like my PPS M2, and I want to keep it, so of I had to I would put a steel recoil assembly to substitute for the plastic one. However there is no need to do that if the plastic one in configured correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
At the end of the slide rearward movement the spring is compressed, and then it expands forward as tension is released. it stops moving forward when it encounters the guide rod front flange.

Almost. The spring isn't stopped moving forward by the flange. The spring is stopped by the limit of the travel of the slide before it contacts the flange. As I stated before, the only time the spring is riding on the guide rod flange is when it is removed from the pistol during field stripping.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts