Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I own a Walther PPK/S. Like it a lot. I'm looking at the Walther models PPK and PPK M2. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If you mean PPS, then you should at least handle them both and decide. I went with the M2 without ever seeing one because I hated the feel of the M1 in my hand. I made the right choice for me.

Reactions: socrates007

·
Registered
74 Posts
IMHO the PPS M2 has far better ergonomics. The major plus for the PPS classic (M1) is the paddle mag release.

If you can live with a button mag release go with the PPS M2.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I purchased a PPS M2 and never have shot or held the classic so I can't compare. I can say that the ergonomics of the M2 feels good in my hand and the felt recoil is not at all jarring as some guns can be. If you buy new, read up on the site here about some of the break-in characteristics of the PPS so you can be better prepared. Once broken in, mine appears to be settling in to being a really nice gun.

And welcome to the forum from Austin, TX

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm in the M1 camp. I prefer the slimmer grip and it fits my hand and locks in perfectly. 9mm NIB are harder to come by. .40 cal is still available on gunbroker.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
M1 has the better trigger IMO, and Paddle Mag Release. M2 has better Ergonomics. My solution is to get both!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own both an I definitely prefer the M2. I am much more comfortable with the mag release on the M2 and the ergos are a huge plus. 7 or 8 round mags are a must. If I could carry in my state the PPS M2 would be a serious contender for me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Another vote for the 1st model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had the M1 40 cal. for about a 18 months, got it from Buds for 359.00 new. Great gun. But I did not like the paddle release because of muscle memory. The one big thing that really turned me off was the backstrap release. Went to load it one day and hit that lever at the bottom of the mag well and it popped out just enough to lock up the whole gun. Not using a roll pin to lock it in place was a really bad design flaw, IMO. Just bought my second PPS M2 LE. Fits my hands better than any other pistol I've ever owned. The xds, g43 and shield were all nice, but the PPS just fits better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both in 9mm. Bought the M1 right when the M2 came out, when they first started with the deep discounts on the M1s. Loved it right out of the box, especially when I put a Talon Grip tape on it.

Then I switched my primary "large gun" carry from HK back to SIG and that meant button mag release. For the sake of continuity I decided to get an PPS M2. Loved it right out of the box. Shot a couple thousand rounds through it over the past 2+ years while the Classic sat in my safe.

Then this winter I got to thinking about how nice the Classic had felt, and I pulled it out. Damn! That gun felt great in my hand. I bought a new Talon grip (the other was getting a little ratty), took it to the range, and fell in love all over again. Decided to start carrying it again. I've carried it for the past 8 months while the M2 sits in the safe. :)

In the end, for me the ergos of the Classic feel better than those of the M2. Completely counterintuitive to what I expected before handling the M2, AND to what I thought I felt at first when the M2 was new.

For me: with factory grip, VERY slight edge in grip ergos for the M2. With Talon wrap on both, I prefer the Classic by a good margin.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have an m1. Bought it before the m2 was released and before the price drop. I like the paddle and the more flat profile.
Spare part on hand RSA backstrap and extractor.
Also two of each 6 7 8 round magazines.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Classic in .40 and an M2 in 9mm. I like em both but carry the .40 Classic every day.

I don't worry too much about muscle memory, I think training your subconscious is more important and that can be done much more quickly than developing "muscle memory". Plus it can be reversed through similar repetition.

Either model is a fine choice. I'm not thrilled w the M1's backstrap "safety", but it's never been an issue. I also think the M2's trigger holds a slight edge.

So why do I carry the Classic? Cuz 180gr HSTs won't fit in the other one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts