Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gun store picking up a P320 X5 Legion when another customer next to me was looking to trade his newly purchased Walther PPQ SF. He allowed me to dry fire it and I could not believe how much creep the trigger had. In fact it was just as much as my XD MOD2 and the reset was very long.

I have a Walther PPQ M2 with an Apex Trigger and that is very crisp and the reset is much shorter. Maybe his PPQ SF was just on the extreme end but it was nevertheless disappointing and glad I didn't buy that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, my SF trigger isn’t the most impressive. Of course I’ve only cleaned it maybe two times in 1500 rounds so its probably just dirty. In a couch, dryfire or gun-store setting it wouldn’t win any awards. Thats why I wouldn’t rush to judge a random used gun with an unknown maintenance history.

In a match or class I don’t notice it *at all*. A gun store counter isn’t it’s natural habitat. How does it feel in use, fired quickly?

At some point I’ll probably upgrade to an Apex or Walther match trigger whenever they start supporting them.

Still shoots the wings off a gnat. With a red dot mounted on top its hands down the easiest pistol to shoot accurately that I’ve ever personally shot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, my SF trigger isn’t the most impressive. Of course I’ve only cleaned it maybe two times in 1500 rounds so its probably just dirty. In a couch, dryfire or gun-store setting it wouldn’t win any awards. Thats why I wouldn’t rush to judge a random used gun with an unknown maintenance history.

In a match or class I don’t notice it *at all*. A gun store counter isn’t it’s natural habitat. How does it feel in use, fired quickly?

At some point I’ll probably upgrade to an Apex or Walther match trigger whenever they start supporting them.

Still shoots the wings off a gnat. With a red dot mounted on top its hands down the easiest pistol to shoot accurately that I’ve ever personally shot.

It was pretty bad, it was bad enough the owner of the pistol who just bought it traded it in for a Nighthawk. I was dry firing it but the amount of creep was about the same as my Springfield XD MOD2 9mm not good. It was smooth and no stacking but would never consider the SF period.

Apex does not have a trigger for the Q5 SF. they only have one for the regular polymere version. Anyway if you ever shot a CZ TSO or even the lessor model the Shadow2, it would make the Walther seem like kids play.

I just picked up a P320 Sig X5 Legion and it too has a fair amount of creep and the reset is a bit long

·
Registered
34 Posts
The SF has some blue paint on the trigger bar that needs to wear through and be cleaned up. Once you get through that, the creep is minimized and you get some of that crispness back. The rails were a little gritty on mine as well, but a quick cleaning and 300 rounds smoothed it up. Not sure what was going on with the reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SF has some blue paint on the trigger bar that needs to wear through and be cleaned up. Once you get through that, the creep is minimized and you get some of that crispness back. The rails were a little gritty on mine as well, but a quick cleaning and 300 rounds smoothed it up. Not sure what was going on with the reset.

For a pistol that is $1600 and blue paint causing that, that is a sorry excuse for poor craftsmanship. The reset again was too long compared to my PPQ with the Apex flat trigger which was very crisp and short. then agian the geometry of the apex reduces overall travel. Unfortunately there is no apex flatty available for the SF

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Sorry, but that blue paint has nothing to do with the creep or the reset. It DOES help to make the trigger a little smoother and maybe just an rch lighter, during takeup.

The creep is easily fixed/adjusted...but should only be done by Walther or an approved gunsmith.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, but that blue paint has nothing to do with the creep or the reset. It DOES help to make the trigger a little smoother and maybe just an rch lighter, during takeup.

The creep is easily fixed/adjusted...but should only be done by Walther or an approved gunsmith.
Imaoldfart, I would normally defer to your knowledge and expertise on all things Walther, but in this case would have to respectfully disagree.

On my example, the paint was gummy and rolled up into tiny little globs which absolutely affected the trigger pull. Two other people confirmed that after cleaning up the residue, the pull was much improved. Maybe my example was an outlier.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Morning Bighonu. Well, maybe the coating they're using is being loosened by some of the cleaning solvents being used...or maybe they just had some bad 'paint jobs'.....I really don't know.

Personally, I've not seen any deterioration of the coating on my Q 5's.

I certainly agree, that any grit or balled up goop on the trigger bar could affect the trigger pull.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Morning!

Yes, not sure what was going on with the coating, but it was a relatively quick fix, and the gun shoots great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My recently acquired (used from Mo Money Pawn Shop ... love the retro atmosphere) PPQ M2 had some trigger creep and I figured I’d send it to Walther but after firing about 30 rds the trigger pull smoothed out. Not as smooth as my PPQ M2 Navy but much better than any of my Glocks.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Finally got my new SF to the range today. ZF guiderod with the 13# flatwire spring and the Sprinco's for the trigger and drop safety.

Trigger has a lot of takeup but a measured between 3ln12oz to 4lb 6oz pull. (couldn't get a good read because of the trigger safety) Nice clean break and short reset. If you don't release it all the way on fast followup shots you don't notice the takeup but only on the first shot.

Ran my DG 147gr handloads @ 1.148 just perfect, all 250 of them with zero malfunctions. They "plunk" too.

CompTac holster and TF +6 basepads worked well.

Thanks for your input and help with the tuning!

It's good when us old farts stick together!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with my trigger at first, albeit because the trigger was in my opinion mediocre in comparison to the P99AS, P88, and P5C. You think at the price point it’s selling for, there shouldn’t be any compromise in the trigger. Unfortunately, I’ve been disappointed by a few of Walthers polymer offerings. I thought the SF would change my mind, but I digress.

I’m still willing to wait until more parts and upgrades come out for this thing. It’s a promising platform, but at $1600-$1800 free state price (CA guys usually pay 75% more mark up), the trigger is a let down for a competition pistol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Actually, I'm of a different opinion. Admittedly after only 250 rounds thru my SF with the Sprinco trigger bar and drop safety springs. I find a lot of excess take-up but a clean break somewhere around 4 lbs. Better break than ANY polymer pistol I've ever shot. (Disclaimer: I've never shot a polymer Walther) My XDm with the Powder River trigger is nice around 3.5 lbs, but I can see the SF being there with just a tiny bit more work and some more rounds.
I'm an admitted trigger snob. My primary competition pistols are 1911's. I am pleasantly surprised by the SF trigger and I see lots of potential to make it better.
Mine was a bit under 1300 from Bud's. Right at the bottom of Dan Wesson pricing.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with my trigger at first, albeit because the trigger was in my opinion mediocre in comparison to the P99AS, P88, and P5C. You think at the price point it’s selling for, there shouldn’t be any compromise in the trigger. Unfortunately, I’ve been disappointed by a few of Walthers polymer offerings. I thought the SF would change my mind, but I digress.

I’m still willing to wait until more parts and upgrades come out for this thing. It’s a promising platform, but at $1600-$1800 free state price (CA guys usually pay 75% more mark up), the trigger is a let down for a competition pistol.
I don't have a PPQ SF. But, I've got plenty of PPQ's and P99's. THEY ALL have the same trigger configuration. Meaning, they all use a firing pin safety/block, actuated by a tab on the trigger bar. They ALL have, what looks like an identical sear housing arrangement, meaning the trigger bar makes contact with the single action lever, which makes contact with the single action sear. And they ALL use a trigger bar guide, again, that looks identical.

Its been my experience that the no. 1 thing to check is the surface of the trigger bar that makes contact with the trigger bar guide. This contact patch needs to be lubed and FREE from any burrs....slicker n' snot would be nice.

Ever now and then, a crappy trigger bar may make it past quality control.....maybe you have one. But first, I'd suggest a good cleaning and lubing.

If that doesn't work, send your pistol to me. :D

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Randy Lee confirmed on a different forum that Apex is working on a trigger for the SF. He alluded to shooting for (note the pun) a trigger with a lower pull weight than the stock SF trigger.

It's great to see Apex stepping up. I have a lot of respect for Randy Lee's work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts