Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after a firing session with my PPQ less than two years old...
Sellier & Bellot ammo.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have a squib that left a round in the barrel?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
What do you mean for ‘squib’? I’m italian and I cannot translate this word.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A sqiub is a round that is under powered and doesn't leave the barrel, the second shot then hits the obstruction in the barrel.
If that happened you're lucky you weren't injured.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
What do you mean for ‘squib’? I’m italian and I cannot translate this word.

Squib means there was not enough (insufficiente) powder (polvere infume) in the cartridge (la cartuccia) so the bullet (la pallottola) got stuck in the barrel (congestione cannale).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In your opinion can I replace it in warranty or will I pay for a new one?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Good question. I've dealt with Walther on warranty issues but none have been ammo related.
Being in Italy I'm not sure the laws in your country and if you can just buy a new barrel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow the HK USP squib test 😀. Glad you are okay and if that is the extent of the damage, the PPQ is one tough pistol. No frame or slide damage?

Reactions: OmegaJB

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow the HK USP squib test . Glad you are okay and if that is the extent of the damage, the PPQ is one tough pistol. No frame or slide damage?
If there's no slide or frame damage, without seeing the barrel my guess is one round got stuck, the second round had enough pressure to expell both rounds but had enough pressure to bulge the barrel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If there's no slide or frame damage, without seeing the barrel my guess is one round got stuck, the second round had enough pressure to expell both rounds but had enough pressure to bulge the barrel.

It DID bulge the barrel, clearly seen, perhaps you meant it didn't burst/split the barrel. Which leads one to conclude sound barrel manufacture. 😉

·
Registered
569 Posts
You will have to contact Sellier & Bellot about this. It would help if you still have the box from which the defective cartridge came, as the Batch Number/Lot Number is stamped on the carton. If the round came from a bulk-pack of 250 loose cartridges (the brown boxes) the number is stamped on the outside, under the label. If it came from a box of 50, where the rounds sit individually in a tray, then the number is to be found inside the tongue when you open the box.

It might also help to mention to them that you have opened a thread about this on a shooters' forum.

Material damage or financial damage is one thing, but the most important thing is that you haven't been injured.

Balor

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Incidents such as this regrettably are quite common, and as long as the squib bullet gets partway down the bore beyond the pressure spike of the following shot, there is seldom any damage except to the barrel itself. And there is actually very little risk of injury --at least, I've seen dozens of bulged pistol barrels but never heard of anyone getting hurt. Of course the barrel is toast, and getting it out of the slide usually is the biggest problem since the bulge often interferes with normal field stripping.

As others have said, it's the ammo that was defective. Have a word with Sellier & Bellot.

M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts