Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has anyone had the opportunity to play with one of these?

Walther PPQ M1 with ported slide and 5" barrel.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/walther-ppq-m1-9mm-5-barrel-fiber-optic-front-sight-2-mags-2826721.html
Not exactly. I bought a Q5 Match M1. Love it. I think technically it's almost the same gun. I know the Q5 has different rear sight, has plates for optics mounting and more aggressive slide cuts/ports. And a blue trigger. If I wasn't considering adding a RMR in the future, I would have gotten the PPQ 5". Of course, the paddle mag release really motivated me. I really appreciate how I can operate the release without changing my grip at all. Even though the M2's button is probably about as comfortable as I have found, it still requires just a little bit of a reach for me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The GB editions have been out for well over a yr. The are good to go. I got a bronze edition back when Walther had a $100 rebate. They've since come down in price.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, I have one of those, also bought a while ago when Walther had a $100 rebate :D

Played with it yesterday, in fact. Has always been 100%.

One reason for getting the M1 version was that the mags also work in my 4” M1. What’s not to like?

Dave

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Has anyone had the opportunity to play with one of these?

Walther PPQ M1 with ported slide and 5" barrel.
I see where there could be some confusion here.

I think with the way that they worded the advertisement, that it is important to note that the barrel is not ported, and therefore, this means that this is not a ported pistol. To call the slide "ported" is a bit disingenuous on the seller's part, being that "ports" on "ported" pistols are there to redirect gas and lower muzzle flip. The holes on this slide are not there for that.

The original 5" models had the slides relieved in these areas to reduce weight so that the pistol would stay reliable with the larger slide while using the factory 4" recoil spring. Glock does the same thing with their long slide models such as the Glock 34 and Glock 35. But I haven't ever heard of anyone advertising them as "ported" slides.

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
PB the PPQ M1 5" you referenced is nothing more than a PPQ M2 5"......they're the same gun, using the same upper (slide/barrel) the frame internals are the same (trigger bar, sear housing, etc.). The only difference in the M2 and M1 versions is the magazine release, the M2 has a button, the M1 has a paddle. Other n that, they're exactly the same.

Heck even the 4" Q's use the exact same frame and internals.

Only thing different about the gun you referenced is the paddles.

Now, if you already have a PPQ M1 4" or a P99 or P99C, it'd be wise to go with a 5" paddle as opposed to a 5" button. All PPQ's with a paddle and most/all P99's and P99C's will be able to use the same magazine.

If you go with a 5" button gun, you up da creek when it comes to trying to share magazines with its paddle buddies.

As for the lightening holes in the slide, Balance covered that. They're just lightening holes....the barrel is not ported.

Is that enough, or do you have any additional questions?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PB the PPQ M1 5" you referenced is nothing more than a PPQ M2 5"......they're the same gun, using the same upper (slide/barrel) the frame internals are the same (trigger bar, sear housing, etc.). The only difference in the M2 and M1 versions is the magazine release, the M2 has a button, the M1 has a paddle. Other n that, they're exactly the same.

Heck even the 4" Q's use the exact same frame and internals.

Only thing different about the gun you referenced is the paddles.

Now, if you already have a PPQ M1 4" or a P99 or P99C, it'd be wise to go with a 5" paddle as opposed to a 5" button. All PPQ's with a paddle and most/all P99's and P99C's will be able to use the same magazine.

If you go with a 5" button gun, you up da creek when it comes to trying to share magazines with its paddle buddies.

As for the lightening holes in the slide, Balance covered that. They're just lightening holes....the barrel is not ported.

Is that enough, or do you have any additional questions?

I appreciate the information.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PPQ

I see where there could be some confusion here.

I think with the way that they worded the advertisement, that it is important to note that the barrel is not ported, and therefore, this means that this is not a ported pistol. To call the slide "ported" is a bit disingenuous on the seller's part, being that "ports" on "ported" pistols are there to redirect gas and lower muzzle flip. The holes on this slide are not there for that.

The original 5" models had the slides relieved in these areas to reduce weight so that the pistol would stay reliable with the larger slide while using the factory 4" recoil spring. Glock does the same thing with their long slide models such as the Glock 34 and Glock 35. But I haven't ever heard of anyone advertising them as "ported" slides.
Advertised With Ported Slide:

https://www.gunbuyer.com/walther-ppq-m1-9mm-5-barrel-fiber-optic-front-sight-2-mags-2826721.html

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I understand, but "ported" is already in the lexicon in regards to firearms and the terms used to describe them, and it does not simply mean a hole in the slide. To start using it to describe something like this would just add confusion to the conversation.

Here is a Glock 34. The slide is not to be considered "ported". That hole on the top of the slide is not described as a "port". Like Walther, Glock took metal off of the slide to lighten it, so that it could mimic the weight of the standard model with the shorter slide.

It is not "ported" unless the slide and barrel have holes in them so that gas is redirected to reduce muzzle flip. Here is an example of a ported pistol:

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand, but "ported" is already in the lexicon in regards to firearms and the terms used to describe them, and it does not simply mean a hole in the slide. To start using it to describe something like this would just add confusion to the conversation.

Here is a Glock 34. The slide is not to be considered "ported". That hole on the top of the slide is not described as a "port". Like Walther, Glock took metal off of the slide to lighten it, so that it could mimic the weight of the standard model with the shorter slide.

It is not "ported" unless the slide and barrel have holes in them so that gas is redirected to reduce muzzle flip. Here is an example of a ported pistol:

I fully understand what you are saying, I was just showing you they are advertised that way. I knew the barrel wasn't ported and I understand the purpose of the "truly" ported barrel and slide.

My understanding of a "ported" slide is strictly to reduce the weight of the gun and thats it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I fully understand what you are saying, I was just showing you they are advertised that way. I knew the barrel wasn't ported and I understand the purpose of the "truly" ported barrel and slide.
I find that it is hard to tell sometimes with discussions with only text. There is always the chance that someone else reading the discussion, and may find the information interesting. I've learned quite a bit from reading through these forums over the years, mostly from explanations used to answer questions asked by other people.

My understanding of a "ported" slide is strictly to reduce the weight of the gun and thats it.
Having said what I just said in the paragraph above, I'll use this opportunity to point out that the holes in the slide of the 5" PPQ are only there to lower the mass of the slide. The pistol itself, as a whole, probably weighs more than the 4" model.

A 9mm cartridge only has so much energy in it, and it does not know what pistol it is going to be shot out of. If you want to shoot it out of a pistol with a longer slide, either the slide needs to be the same weight, or the recoil spring needs to be lighter, otherwise you'll run into reliability issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
" If you want to shoot it out of a pistol with a longer slide, either the slide needs to be the same weight, or the recoil spring needs to be lighter, otherwise you'll run into reliability issues."

I should think that the spring would hafta be stronger with a longer slide...not lighter

so why am I wrong?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I should think that the spring would hafta be stronger with a longer slide...not lighter

so why am I wrong?
A heavier slide will have more mass, but a 9mm load will only have a certain amount of energy. Using the same 9mm load in a pistol that has heavier reciprocating parts will cause it to "under-function", or short stroke. To make a long slide pistol more reliable, you would have to either get the shooters to use hotter loads, lower the weight of the (longer/heavier) slide, or lower the weight of the recoil spring, which pushes against the slide as it reciprocates.

Think of the reason why some shooters have malfunctions in the first few hundred rounds with these pistols. The pistol comes with a heavy recoil spring from the factory, and after a few hundred rounds, the recoil spring breaks in, loosens up, and the pistol becomes more reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts