Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come Walther did not come up with PPQ chambered with 45 cal yet? I will be the first on the waiting list. Would you buy one too?

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Then one I have has the AS trigger configuration. It's not quite as light and crisp as the Walther-badged P99, but it comes darn close. The SW990 and SW990L were both DAO, I believe.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
How come Walther did not come up with PPQ chambered with 45 cal yet? I will be the first on the waiting list. Would you buy one too?
You'll be waiting a long, long time for this one. It's not going to happen. UE is correct. If you want a Walther in .45 ACP, the closest thing you'll find is the SW99, and that one is only half a Walther. Still, if you broswe around, you can often get them at decent prices on the online sites.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not me............a well placed 9mm shot will stop a person as well as a .45. Perhaps get a 9mm and practice, practice, practice shooting it so if a bad situation ever develops you'll be good to go.

Personally, I'll take 15-17rds of 9mm over 10rds of .45acp. Uber rounds or not :D

It would be far too costly, for me, to shoot a .45acp as much as I do my 9mm PPQ. On a bad week I go through 500rds, with most weeks at 1000rds. Can I really afford that, not really, but it's damn more fun than my other hobbies ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
My P99c AS has 10+1 rounds of 9mm. My full-size SW99 has 9+1 of .45. My primary carry piece remains the P99c AS, but I like having the SW99 around for home defense.

If you'd like to see a comparison of the two, I did a blog a while back:

SW99—The .45-Caliber Walther

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not interested. The practical difference between the terminal ballistics of pistol rounds is negligible. All pistol rounds are anemic. I would rather have one with lighter recoil and more of them available in the magazine, than a few slightly larger ones.

These guys (one former duty officer, one FBI report) state it better than I can: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FirearmsTactical.com

I don't mean to rag on people's caliber choice, it's a free world. Just quantifying my opinion a little. :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I used to be a .45 guy. Loved my Sig P220 and had never even fired a 9mm. Then everybody went hot and heavy for the .40 S&W, so I bought a Glock 26. I tried that shoot the goat test. Well, I hit the darn goat right where his pump is supposed to be from about 10 yards; blood was running out but my BBQ took off for parts unknown. Those Cor-Bon's didn't impress me at all. Shot a wild boar with my P220 in it's pump at about 10 yards with a 230gr Black Talon. That didn't impress the pig or me. Lost my BBQ in the swamp.
A couple of years ago my brother in law talked me into trying out his Glock 19 9mm. I liked it. On the way home he defused my arguments about how the 40 and the 45 were better and the 9mm is anemic. I went home and studied test on comparisons of MODERN ammunition. That's when I bought my P99 as 9mm and I'm pleased with my choice. I'm not saying that 9mm is better than a .40 or a .45; but realistically, I don't think the 9mm is any worse. I do shoot the 9mm better and more often because it's less expensive to feed.
When I first saw a P99 at a gunshow I really wanted one and would've bought one right then but the guy said they don't make them in .45. Those were generation 1 P99's. Mine is the latest generation and I like it much more gooder than the generation 1's.
I still like the .45. I guess it's just romantic reasons and recalling all the things I read back when Jeff Cooper was alive and writing in gun mags. There's just something cool about a .45.
We shoot 1/8 steel plates hanging from trees by coat hangers. One day we did some comparisons of ball and hollow points on the plates with the .45 and the 9mm. We used 230gr ball for the 45 and 115 grain ball 9mm made by Federal and 126gr and 135gr +P
Gold Dots and 230gr Gold Dots for the .45. Only one 9mm ball round went through the plates. When we compared the damage done, the dents were deeper with all ammo shot from the 9mm while the dents were bigger around with all ammo from the .45. The plates did dance more when shot with the heavier bullets.
It's not scientific but I was surprised because I has assumed that the .45 would go all the way through the plates or atleast romp and stomp the 9mm but it didn't do either.
I'll stick with my 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
In my opinion, anything .32 and above is perfectly fine for self-defense. All other things being equal, I'd rather have more capacity than higher caliber or heavier bullet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Because the 45 is an American thing and Walther is old school European. Ya, I know it not that simple but that's the nut of it. The rest is all marketing and what's profitable.

Also, the PPQ has only been on the market for a year or so. If the market demand is there, who knows? I wouldn't hold my breath though. Has Walther ever made anything in a 45? Off hand I don't know, will have to do some digging.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In my opinion, anything .32 and above is perfectly fine for self-defense.
My wife carries a. 32H&R Magnum revolver as her CCW. I'm PERFECTLY OK with that. Just make sure you have good personal defense rounds in it.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
Rumor may or may NOT have it. ;)

Slash also said he wasn't opposed to a Guns N Roses reunion...if it was done for the right reasons and everyone came to the table with open minds.

Slash said:
Never say never..
;)

I'm excited, but not buying into it just quite yet...I'd be more concerned with where it will be coming from...the BB gun makers, or the folks who build quality. That's all. If it's going to be from Ulm...hell, yes. Sign me up.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
There was a video link in the other thread, but since it got locked, it will only fall down to the bottom of the barrel.

Would've made sense to lock this one as it is a few years old and has been seen and forgotten..till now...

But anyway, the cliff's: at a recent show, some gun guy asked a Walther rep about the possibility of a .45 offering, the rep stated that they'd heard the words of fans wanting one and that basically they may, or may not build one.

That's pretty much it. The video is on youtube, but I'm too irritated at life right now to find it and link it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.